Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

... because Haleakalā is too easy 😳

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-21, 11:59 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

... and Everest is too small.

The “Mauna Kea First Ascent,” as the challenge was called, involved diving 16,785 feet to the base of the dormant volcano, kayaking 27 miles in open ocean from the ship to land, bicycling for 37 miles up the mountain, and then climbing the remaining six miles to the summit. It sits at 13,803 feet.

“It felt like a three-day beat-down,” Vescovo told Robb Report.

https://robbreport.com/motors/marine...rt-1234597306/
🤯
Old 02-19-21, 12:45 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
This was a fun story. We visited the big island last year (just before the pandemic), and I absolutely regret not renting a bike, though my son and I did do some running. We drove to the visitor's center on Mauna Kea, but but the summit road was closed due to weather. Next time we go (assuming it happens), I'll either be bringing my bike or renting one to climb at least one of the peaks. I've read about people riding from the visitor center to the summit, but I believe a) it is now not officially permitted; and b) that if you proceed anyway, you really need to do a bike change as you need a mountain bike or, at the very least, a gravel bike on the summit road.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 02-20-21, 09:52 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcox
b) that if you proceed anyway, you really need to do a bike change as you need a mountain bike or, at the very least, a gravel bike on the summit road.
Yes you do, and extra tubes.
Likes For mpath: