Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

difference between single and double front of saddle?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

difference between single and double front of saddle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-21, 02:20 AM
motopokep
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
difference between single and double nose saddle?

What's the difference between a single and a front nose saddle in terms of comfort and performance? I'm more interested in comfort on long rides than performance.

Last edited by motopokep; 05-13-21 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 03:14 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Basically, imagine you have a regular full length saddle with a central cutout or relief channel. Chop off the front half of the saddle, and you'll arrive at something like the above. Why? To get around the UCI rule regarding saddle positioning so that you can sit further forward than with a more traditionally-shaped saddle.
Old 05-13-21, 03:26 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts
I use the above saddle, and like it. My other bike is fitted with a WTB deva. I like that as well.
Old 05-13-21, 08:57 AM
motopokep
Banned

Ok, but how does the double nose affect comfort or performance? The double nose saddle appears to be twice as wide in the front so it makes more contact with the perineum, does that mean it's easier on that area and there's less numbness on longer rides? I understand that it's easier to sit at tip of the nose when needed, but what about when you regularly sit fully in the seat, does it negatively affect performance? Are the inside of the thighs in any way rubbing against it (probably not). If it's much more comfortable, why are most saddles made with a single nose? Why would someone not want a double nose saddle?
Old 05-13-21, 09:08 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
As with all saddles, what works for one person might not for someone else. Saddle fit is the most personal thing on a bike. You have to try it to see if you like it, you might hate it. I've given away saddles before.
Old 05-13-21, 10:18 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by motopokep
Ok, but how does the double nose affect comfort or performance? The double nose saddle appears to be twice as wide in the front so it makes more contact with the perineum, does that mean it's easier on that area and there's less numbness on longer rides? I understand that it's easier to sit at tip of the nose when needed, but what about when you regularly sit fully in the seat, does it negatively affect performance? Are the inside of the thighs in any way rubbing against it (probably not). If it's much more comfortable, why are most saddles made with a single nose? Why would someone not want a double nose saddle?
Apologies for the crappy MS Paint art... but it's really not that different, once you wrap your mind around it:

As for concerns about inner thigh rubbing - the general advise is, if your thigh is rubbing, lower your saddle, or get the narrower model. And if your thigh is still rubbing with the narrowest model... then maybe it's not the one for you.

Speaking from my own experience - I rode a 600km brevet with the PR 2.0. Very comfortable, just some annoying thigh rubbing because I am a pretty thin person (my regular saddle is a Fizik Arione). I also tried the PN 3.0 on a 200km brevet. Better, no thigh rub, but it's only comfortable in a low, aero position (e.g. on the drops or aerobars). Try to sit up a bit and the 120mm width just doesn't work well for me.

Last edited by atwl77; 05-13-21 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-13-21, 11:10 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I'd think with a saddle that comfort and performance were the same thing. If you aren't comfortable then your performance suffers.
Likes For guachi:
Old 05-13-21, 04:38 PM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by guachi
I'd think with a saddle that comfort and performance were the same thing. If you aren't comfortable then your performance suffers.
If that were true, why wouldn't all racers put this saddle on their road/racing bike?

Old 05-13-21, 05:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
If that were true, why wouldn't all racers put this saddle on their road/racing bike?

Put that thing on your bike and go ride for 8 hours and tell us how comfortable it is. It's not a bar stool, on a bike your legs move and do work, a big tractor seat would get in the way.
Likes For big john:
Old 05-13-21, 05:32 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3660 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Put that thing on your bike and go ride for 8 hours and tell us how comfortable it is. It's not a bar stool, on a bike your legs move and do work, a big tractor seat would get in the way.
+1 I doubt most folks could ride something like that for more than an hour unless they were on a "sit up and beg" cruiser. A lot of cycling stuff seems odd to people who don't ride. Probably the same with any activity.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-13-21, 07:01 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10236 Post(s)
Liked 5,183 Times in 2,225 Posts

For the bike that you bought and the riding you said you wanted to do, this would probably be fine.
Old 05-13-21, 07:53 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
For the bike that you bought and the riding you said you wanted to do, this would probably be fine.
Don't be stupid. It's obviously the wrong colour.
Old 05-13-21, 11:50 PM
Dean V

Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
As with all saddles, what works for one person might not for someone else. Saddle fit is the most personal thing on a bike. You have to try it to see if you like it, you might hate it. I've given away saddles before.
^^ This.
Also as most people use and prefer a more "normal" saddle you could also conclude that is what works for most people.
Old 05-14-21, 12:24 AM
motopokep
Banned

seems there is no consensus as to advantages of a double nose over single nose saddle. It also seems the single nose saddles are more prevalent.
Old 05-14-21, 12:44 AM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
^^ This.
Also as most people use and prefer a more "normal" saddle you could also conclude that is what works for most people.
Most people don’t have to worry about UCI regulations. I have seen more than a few enduros at the track use them to help het around the stupid setback rules
Old 05-14-21, 01:49 AM
motopokep
Banned

Originally Posted by cubewheels
There is a clear advantage to those who can sit more forward against the BB to raise power output.

Such sitting position also offers huge advantage to those who does lots of steep climbs.
what does "BB" stand for? I'm trying to decipher your post and am I correct that you mean that single nose saddle renders better uphill performance than double nose?
Old 05-14-21, 02:09 AM
Dean V

There is a clear advantage to those who can sit more forward against the BB to raise power output.

Such sitting position also offers huge advantage to those who does lots of steep climbs.
I guess all those pro riders that are climbing sitting back on the saddle are giving up a huge advantage then.
Someone should tell them.
Likes For Dean V:
Old 05-14-21, 02:11 AM
Dean V

what does "BB" stand for? I'm trying to decipher your post and am I correct that you mean that single nose saddle renders better uphill performance than double nose?
BB = bottom bracket, i.e centre of the crank spindle in particular being the point of reference.
Old 05-14-21, 05:26 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
seems there is no consensus as to advantages of a double nose over single nose saddle. It also seems the single nose saddles are more prevalent.
This is correct. There is literally no consensus when it comes to saddle choice. Saddles come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, just like people's butts! Unfortunately there's a fair bit of trial and error involved in choosing a saddle, but I would start off with something more conventional than the ISM and see how it goes. Some shops have demo saddles to try too. I've been through a few saddles in my time, but I'm really liking this one from Fizik. It's pretty easy on the man gear with the cut-out and comfortable for all day endurance rides. The best saddles are the ones you don't actually notice when riding.

Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-14-21, 05:40 AM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
This is correct. There is literally no consensus when it comes to saddle choice. Saddles come in all sorts of shapes and sizes, just like people's butts! Unfortunately there's a fair bit of trial and error involved in choosing a saddle, but I would start off with something more conventional than the ISM and see how it goes. Some shops have demo saddles to try too. I've been through a few saddles in my time, but I'm really liking this one from Fizik. It's pretty easy on the man gear with the cut-out and comfortable for all day endurance rides. The best saddles are the ones you don't actually notice when riding.

They really are incredibly personal. For years I was a Selle Italia Flite guy, but my new bike last fall came with a short nose saddle very similar to this in shape (a Most saddle). Easily my favorite saddle of all time. Then I picked up a gravel bike with a Seller Italia Model X which I also love. This shape works for me - of course it's a similar shape to my old Flite with the nose cut off, as noted above. I'm also a rider who likes to shift forward when hammering, and these stubby noses are way more comfortable. I may have to try one of these double nose saddles if I do decide to look at time trials....
Old 05-14-21, 06:12 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I don't really understand the stubby nosed appeal. Is it an appearance thing? I never ride sitting on the nose of my non-stubby saddle, nor find the nose to be in the way. So what is gained by having that last ~4cm lopped off the front (a bit of weight savings)? I considered the Selle Italia "Boost" version of the SP-01, but didn't see any advantage so I've been happy with the standard. FWIW, the stubby version seems to be priced higher also.
Old 05-14-21, 06:47 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,990 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I don't really understand the stubby nosed appeal. Is it an appearance thing? I never ride sitting on the nose of my non-stubby saddle, nor find the nose to be in the way. So what is gained by having that last ~4cm lopped off the front (a bit of weight savings)? I considered the Selle Italia "Boost" version of the SP-01, but didn't see any advantage so I've been happy with the standard. FWIW, the stubby version seems to be priced higher also.
You've kind of answered your own question right here. Before moving to a short nosed saddle I was using a Fizik Aliante (very conventional thin long nose) and found it pretty uncomfortable riding on the nose. I actually find I can ride quite well on the nose of my shorter saddle as it's a bit wider and flatter. Looking at them side by side it's about an inch shorter overall.

Last edited by PeteHski; 05-14-21 at 06:52 AM.
Old 05-14-21, 06:58 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3425 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
Such sitting position (forward) also offers huge advantage to those who does lots of steep climbs.
How does a forward saddle position help in a steep climb?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 05-14-21, 07:28 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
You've kind of answered your own question right here. Before moving to a short nosed saddle I was using a Fizik Aliante (very conventional thin long nose) and found it pretty uncomfortable riding on the nose. I actually find I can ride quite well on the nose of my shorter saddle as it's a bit wider and flatter. Looking at them side by side it's about an inch shorter overall.
I guess it can depend on the saddles being compared. My impression looking at the Selle Italia, is that yes, the nose is wider on the stubby ("Boost") version, but that is solely because the extension is removed off the front where it continues to narrow on the standard saddle. Ie. if you draw a line on the standard saddle where it is cut short, the width at that point is really not much different. And if you don't sit on the saddle past that point anyway, it wouldn't matter.

Old 05-14-21, 09:22 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3425 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,790 Posts
... moving forward also opens the hip angle where the core muscles can work more efficiently and promotes better breathing, more power, in short.
Interesting, thanks. I don't think I've ever tried sitting forward in the saddle during a climb.

This source suggests the opposite, that sitting back on the saddle improves climbing by opening up the knee angle at the top of the pedal stroke:

...by sitting back on the saddle the knee angle will increase by a couple of degrees. This may seem small but we can also see from the Knee Angle graph that this could give 5-10% more power at this point in the stroke

Last edited by terrymorse; 05-14-21 at 10:35 AM. Reason: simplified quote

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.