Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Front and rear Dynamo hubs

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-16-21, 12:19 PM
seibaatgung

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts

Anyone have a dynamo hub on both wheels? For reliability reasons, of course.
Old 06-16-21, 07:19 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1410 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 386 Posts
You are unlikely to do much touring with a rear dynamo hub. The only rear dynamo hubs that I'm aware of are the Sturmey-Archer AG three-speed and FG four-speed hubs from the 1940s - 1960s. Those hubs are a bit scarce to find these days and don't generate as much current as a modern front dynamo hub. You will likely be walking up a lot of hills if you use one.

The other possible way to have a dynamo hub front and rear would be somehow rig a fixed gear sprocket to the shell of a disc braked dynamo hub. Then you'd be down to a single speed. It may work depending on your terrain.

Modern dynamo hubs from Shimano, Shutter Precision and SON are generally very reliable.
Likes For gnome:
Old 06-16-21, 08:31 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
I have yet to see any modern dynamo hubs at the rear gnome listed probably most of them and they are quite ancient at this point. I don't even think any BB based ones are still around. You can find bottle dynamos still but in the end a new SON hub is way better than anything else and if you are in need of more power you maybe want to consider alternative forms of power generation or better batteries. I think with a SON hub and a Cinq Plug V you will do pretty darn well and you probably could also run front and rear lights as well.
Old 06-16-21, 08:58 PM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by gnome
You will likely be walking up a lot of hills if you use one.
Why, relative to a front dynamo hub?
Old 06-16-21, 09:23 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Originally Posted by seibaatgung
Why, relative to a front dynamo hub?
The AG was a three speed internal gear hub with a dynamo. The FG was a four speed internal gear hub with a dynamo. They had a limited range and generally didn't allow you to set the gearing up low enough to climb steeper hills. If you could set the front chainring and sprocket up to have low enough gears to spin up a hill you would have a very low top gear for on the flat. Also as they are now very old internal gear hubs I wouldn't like to stand on the pedals when riding one as the additional torque generated may result in the pawls in the hub slipping.

A modern front dynamo hub allows you to use any gearing you like. If you have a modern internal gear hub you can probably get the gearing low enough for climbing and have a reasonable flat cruising gear. Modern internal gear hubs probably have a lower minimum front chainring to rear sprocket ratio as well. If you run derailleur gears you can run as low a gears as you like.
Old 06-16-21, 09:35 PM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
If you were that worried by reliability it'd be easier to carry a spare front hub and a spoke key....
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 06-16-21, 10:30 PM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by Trevtassie
If you were that worried by reliability it'd be easier to carry a spare front hub and a spoke key....
Or just bring a solar panel
Old 06-17-21, 01:15 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
It's probably relatively easy to build a bike with a front dynamo hub and a Velogical rim dynamo and make it easy to switch between them using some SON coax connectors.
But generally speaking it's rarely the dynamo hub that fails.

The only other rear dynamo hub I know was a Shimano 4-speed automatic shifting unit. Incredibly rare though.
Old 06-17-21, 05:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I bought my first SP dynohub seven years ago. I have no reliability concerns, I see no reason for another dynohub. My last tour, for the last two or three weeks of it I was fully self supporting on electrical needs from the dynohub.

Quite frankly, if my dynohub was unreliable, it is the bearings that are more likely to go than the electrics from it.

If you are worried that much, pull a trailer that uses the same dynohub wheel as your bike front dynohub wheel. Check out the Extrawheel trailers.
Old 06-17-21, 05:30 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I bought my first SP dynohub seven years ago. I have no reliability concerns, I see no reason for another dynohub. My last tour, for the last two or three weeks of it I was fully self supporting on electrical needs from the dynohub.

Quite frankly, if my dynohub was unreliable, it is the bearings that are more likely to go than the electrics from it.

If you are worried that much, pull a trailer that uses the same dynohub wheel as your bike front dynohub wheel. Check out the Extrawheel trailers.
Smart 👌😎
Old 06-17-21, 07:39 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Or just pack a battery backup.

I've owned 3 dynohubs (SP, Shimano, and Sturmey) and found all of them to be completely reliable in generating electricity. The main lighting issue I've had is that sometimes the connectors need tweaked. Mechanically they are all good, though I did have to replace one of the cartridge bearings on my Sturmey (after 10,000 miles or so).

There's really nothing complicated about a dynohub. Basically it's a ring of permanent magnets that rotate (non touching) around a fixed stator. Worn bearings and physical damage are the only things you need to worry about. It's certainly a good idea to carry extra wiring and connectors on a tour, though.
Old 06-17-21, 03:23 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
... It's certainly a good idea to carry extra wiring and connectors on a tour, though.
What do you bring on a tour that is specific to dynohub power system? I bring a roll of electrical tape and that is it.
Old 06-17-21, 06:51 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Anyone have a dynamo hub on both wheels? For reliability reasons, of course.
Very gently, in a 'buy you a coffee' kind of way, this is a fool's errand.

That said, you can keep an eye out of Ebay for a discontinued Shimano Nexave Di2 FH-C810 low power magneto hub.

Old 06-17-21, 07:35 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Originally Posted by tcs
Very gently, in a 'buy you a coffee' kind of way, this is a fool's errand.

That said, you can keep an eye out of Ebay for a discontinued Shimano Nexave Di2 FH-C810 low power magneto hub.

ooh that is an interesting hub. I didn't know it existed, even briefly. I may have to hunt for one to add to my obscure hub collection. You could use it to charge a powerbank to power your other electronic devices. Of course a front dynohub will produce more power and charge quicker.
Old 06-17-21, 09:06 PM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by gnome
ooh that is an interesting hub. I didn't know it existed, even briefly. I may have to hunt for one to add to my obscure hub collection. You could use it to charge a powerbank to power your other electronic devices. Of course a front dynohub will produce more power and charge quicker.
why is a front dynamo hub more efficient?
Old 06-17-21, 09:22 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

why is a front dynamo hub more efficient?
reading up on that obscure, obsolete Shimano hub it was rated at 4.1V and 1.2 watts.. A SON dynohub is rated at 6v and 3 watts. You'll have to ride twice as far or twice as fast to get the same charge from the Shimano rear hub as you would from the front dynohub.
Old 06-18-21, 08:24 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
What do you bring on a tour that is specific to dynohub power system? I bring a roll of electrical tape and that is it.
Tape is a good carry, but like I said, extra wiring and connectors are comforting to have. It's easy to imagine an event where something snags your wire at the hub knocking it into the spokes, which then damage the wire and fling the connector into the brush. I reckon if this happened to you, you'd likely figure out how to MacGyver it with just electrical tape.
Old 06-18-21, 08:43 AM
Tourist in MSN

Tape is a good carry, but like I said, extra wiring and connectors are comforting to have. It's easy to imagine an event where something snags your wire at the hub knocking it into the spokes, which then damage the wire and fling the connector into the brush. I reckon if this happened to you, you'd likely figure out how to MacGyver it with just electrical tape.
Two of my touring bikes and my rando bike have dynohubs, I used heavier gauge wire from the hub to the fork crown, used several zip ties to attach wire to the fork blade. It is not coming off. But, maybe for some others that might be an issue.

My heavier duty touring bike, I consider it to be my expedition bike, on a tour the dynohub is used solely to power my Sinewave USB charger for charging batteries, no other wiring on the bike. There is wiring on my other touring bike that has a dynohub for lighting, but if I lost my dyno powered lighting, it would not be a disaster, only an inconvenience.

Thanks for answering, that might be an issue for some other people. Maybe for bikepackers that don't have front panniers and might snag a wire on something.

If anyone is curious, I described at this other link how I wired up the lights and charger on my rando bike.
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...b-charger.html
Old 06-20-21, 02:57 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts

sure if your wiring looks like mine does right now but I don’t think anyone goes on the road like this
Old 06-20-21, 09:56 PM
seibaatgung

Originally Posted by Germany_chris

sure if your wiring looks like mine does right now but I don’t think anyone goes on the road like this
Why rim brakes?
Old 06-20-21, 10:45 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Why rim brakes?
Because it’s a Cross Check
Old 06-21-21, 01:32 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
How do you like those Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H tyres? They look interesting for a touring/rando bike.
Old 06-21-21, 03:25 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Originally Posted by JaccoW
How do you like those Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H tyres? They look interesting for a touring/rando bike.
I’ve only put 100km or so on them but they do roll nice and install relatively easily.

that picture though is of my new cross check which replaced my touring bike as my commuter. The reason I’ve got the wires wrapped around the fork blade is I’m considering putting my local basket on the there and will need cable if I do that
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-21-21, 05:48 PM
seibaatgung

Because it’s a Cross Check
you say that like it's a bmw or a maine coon
Old 06-24-21, 11:17 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
you say that like it's a bmw or a maine coon
How else do you respond to your question about "Why rim brakes?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.