Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

2014 Race Results Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2014 Race Results Thread

Old 01-01-14, 06:31 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
2014 Race Results Thread

New year, new thread.

I raced the San Bruno Hillclimb today.

To my surprise, they ran the 3s with the p12 crowd which featured Adrian Costa and his buddy Zeke, both wearing their nifty USA junior team kit over Garmin dev team bibs. Yay for us!

I pictured this race 100 times over the past couple weeks, but I never pictured it with the p12 field involved. Oh well, I think I played it right, anyway.

Course is 3 miles, .5mi steep, 1mi shallow, .25mi down around an underpass, and 1.25mi relatively steep and steady to the end.

Half way up the first .5mi it was too slow, so I took initiative and jumped up until I felt I had about a 15 second gap. Felt pretty ballsy to fly past Adrian and the rest of the 1-2s, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't have cared less. But, the other strong 3s weren't going to let me go, so they started the chase.

I held out at threshold until I looked back and saw Zeke closing my gap down. I eased up, jumped on their group of 5 as they flew past. So, 6 of us now.

About a minute later, Zeke and Adrian were off to their own race and the other 4 of us, 2 3s in my race, and 1 lucky p12, were heading to the top.

As usual, I did a lot of pulling, but I saved enough that I felt great when the 1k sign rolled by. At about .8k I hear shifting and I try to throw it in the big ring to head for the finish. Perfect, about a 2-minute fast climb from that point which is to my benefit.

Except, my shift was a ****ing yard sale and my chain was spinning on top of my little ring somehow. I clicked around until it bit, but I'd given up 3-4-5 seconds and that was too many against these guys.

I finished 6th in the 1-2-3s, 1:20 behind 1st and 2nd, and 8, 3, and 1 seconds behind 3rd 4th and 5th.

I take solace in that my time today was faster than Phipps winning time in the 45+ race, but overall I'd rate my emotion as bummed-the-****-out at being 3rd in the 3s. That was my race to lose, and I lost it by being an idiot and trying for the big ring while in the 23t in the back.

the race segment: https://app.strava.com/activities/103291369#2227464170

podium

And then after the race I drove down to my TT hill with the race bike setup and destroyed my previous PR by 30 seconds. 16:50 to 16:20. Fueled by disappointment.

https://app.strava.com/activities/103291351
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ZkSgoN5m.jpg (32.9 KB, 85 views)
Old 01-01-14, 06:39 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Nice work!

Do you think things would have played out better for you if you'd waited to attack, or waited for someone else to go first?

my race videos
Old 01-01-14, 07:42 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Had the front shift gone perfectly, you wouldn't be even thinking about it. Mechanical crap happens. Forget about it. You did a good race.
Old 01-01-14, 08:54 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
thanks, you're probably right.

In a day or two I'll appreciate the result for what it is, and use the gaffe as motivation to build more margin for error.
Old 01-01-14, 09:12 PM
Beaker
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a great time, Chris. Sub 16 on that hill puts you in rare air.
Old 01-01-14, 09:15 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
thanks, you're probably right.

In a day or two I'll appreciate the result for what it is, and use the gaffe as motivation to build more margin for error.
Boom. Exactly.
Old 01-01-14, 09:21 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Good stuff... I wanted to try this race.. Maybe someday
Old 01-01-14, 09:41 PM
misterwaterfall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate that you guys are racing or getting ready to race. 2 more months then we're finally back at it up here
Old 01-01-14, 10:53 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
congrats on the podium. I'm never doing this race because when I use my little chain ring I break out into hives.

But most importantly....congrats on starting the 2014 Race Results Thread!
Old 01-01-14, 11:36 PM
Inquisitor.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome race! It sucks that you had the mechanical, but you can take solace in the fact that you rode with confidence and made the right moves. Occasionally, preparation, skill, and luck align for the win. Take this as a rightfully earned victory.
Old 01-02-14, 12:45 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Inquisitor.
Awesome race! It sucks that you had the mechanical, but you can take solace in the fact that you rode with confidence and made the right moves. Occasionally, preparation, skill, and luck align for the win. Take this as a rightfully earned victory.
He didn't win. Solace only comes when you can look in the mirror and know you did everything right and the other guy was just better. That didn't happen here. He was stronger and let someone take his milk and cookies.

Been there, done that, more than once.

A lot of good in this race, particularly not being afraid to head out on your own. Build on that. Fix the stuff that went wrong.

Pine Flat up next?
Old 01-02-14, 01:18 AM
tetonrider

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't have as much invested in the race as you, but as i read your description from my outsider's perspective i kept thinking there is SO much good stuff in what you did today, so much to be proud of.

i understand the frustration in having one small, non-fitness-related thing go wrong at precisely the wrong time. that sucks.

when you win the next one it will be just that much sweeter. you should also be proud of publicly stating your goal and pouring so much energy into achieving it. such commitment is always impressive and pays off, eventually. you could not have achieved this result a few short years ago, so soak that in rather than wondering what might have been.

congratulations to you.
Old 01-02-14, 02:57 AM
Inquisitor.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
He didn't win. Solace only comes when you can look in the mirror and know you did everything right and the other guy was just better. That didn't happen here. He was stronger and let someone take his milk and cookies.

Been there, done that, more than once.

A lot of good in this race, particularly not being afraid to head out on your own. Build on that. Fix the stuff that went wrong.

Pine Flat up next?

I see your point, but consider it a small victory that he saw an opportunity, trusted his instincts, and made a bold move that likely gave him his best possible chance at winning. I would regard it as failure if he had been blind to the opportunity, or lacked the confidence to follow his instincts.

I'm looking forward to reading a similar story, but with his intended results down the road.
Old 01-02-14, 09:26 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Pine Flat up next?
Yep, barring illness or something else.

Originally Posted by tetonrider
i don't have as much invested in the race as you, but as i read your description from my outsider's perspective i kept thinking there is SO much good stuff in what you did today, so much to be proud of.

congratulations to you.
appreciated.

the guys I lost to are by no means scrubs and I don't mean to diminish their achievement at all. All 4 of our little chase group ended in the top-10 times of the day across all the fields. I knew I was too confident going in and it could go like it did. I needed a perfect run to beat them and just didn't have it.
Old 01-02-14, 09:28 AM
ovoleg