Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cinelli Quill Stem and handlebar angle problem

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-28-20, 09:19 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 52 Posts

I feel like I'm flooding this forum with questions but at least I'm learning.

I'm trying to change the angle of my handlebar as to make the brakes a little easier to reach -- without making the whole thing look ridiculous. What I don't understand is that beyond a certain angle, the bolt on the bottom part of the stem is very hard to screw in, as if the stem and the handlebar were designed only for a specific range of positions. I tried to screw the bolt in anyway (quite tightly) and felt like I had managed to obtain a pretty comfortable angle, but today I hit a bump and nearly crashed when the handlebar dropped.

Am I missing perhaps missing something? Could it be that the handlebar and/or the stem lost its circular shape over time? I don't wanna overtighten the bolt and damage the handlebar.

(and my nice R600 in the back..)
Old 05-28-20, 09:44 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
...those Cinelli closed loop stems with the wedge driven by the bolt to force it against the bar were always a little problematic. Things you might try would be to remove the bolt and the bar, and check out the condition and position of the wedge (they break sometimes...and are almost impossible to find used). On reassembly, lubricate both the wedge and the bolt with a light coating of grease. Inspect the bar to see if it might be damaged in some way from being overpressured by the stem wedge, leaving some sort of depression or divot.

I always thought they were a poorly engineered design anyway, but I do still have one or two of them on bikes here that seem to work if I don't fiddle with them once they're set up.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-28-20, 10:05 PM
jonny7

Bikes: 1994 Cadex CFR3, 2006 Scott CR1 SL, Rossin aero, Bertrand GB 2000, Spec Allez Pro

Thanks for the tip. I'll think about it. Right now the bike has the original leather handlebar tape and I don't think it could be reused if removed. The bike already is slightly too small for me so it might not be worth it to start this whole process if I end up selling it (and setting the handlebar back to its "default" and secure position)
Old 05-29-20, 06:37 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2151 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,198 Posts
That should be a 26.4 clamp on a 26.4 bar. Measure to make sure. If it's a 26mm bar, no amount of tightening will actually make that combination safe, at any angle.
If the sizing matches, disassemble as others have suggested to ensure that the wedge is not cracked. If it is, touch base with Wayne Bingham at Velo Classique. Last time I checked, he had new ones in stock.
The wedge face has a series of grooves cut into it; the bar clamping area also has a series of grooves. These grooves should work together to keep the bar from rotating. If the 'teeth' on the grooves are worn smooth, the clamping action will be weak.
Sometimes, things just wear out; that may be the case here.
Old 05-30-20, 12:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
the bolt pulls a wedge down, the shoe with the matching wedge ramp, is semicircular in the front, it is pushed forward.
I'[m using a 26.0 bar not a Cinelli specific 26.4 in my 1R, Bar a heat treated Nitto Bar.. with a doubling sleeve..

I don't ride that bike daily or that often.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-30-20 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-31-20, 09:47 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by fietsbob
the bolt pulls a wedge down, the shoe with the matching wedge ramp, is semicircular in the front, it is pushed forward.
I'[m using a 26.0 bar not a Cinelli specific 26.4 in my 1R, Bar a heat treated Nitto Bar.. with a doubling sleeve..

I don't ride that bike daily or that often.
I was actually having a hard time figuring out how the stem worked. This makes it clearer. Kinda means the actual diamenter of the bar does not really matter (26 vs 26.4) as you seem to say?
Old 05-31-20, 09:56 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by jonny7
I was actually having a hard time figuring out how the stem worked. This makes it clearer. Kinda means the actual diamenter of the bar does not really matter (26 vs 26.4) as you seem to say?
Not that I plan to put a 26... It's the original handlebar so I'm assuming it's the correct size, i.e. 26.4
Old 05-31-20, 10:14 PM
jonny7

Sorry for the triple post but I found an explanation here that totally corresponds to my problem:

"Actually the stem IME works, the problem turns when you want to change the angle of the handlebars w/o losing the wedge 100%. Common mistake is to lose it like 50% and then change the angle of the handlebar, that will scratch the edges of the teeth of the wedge and will file the indentations in the handlebar too and then that's it, 4 or 6 modfications and the stuff dont work too good no more. You have to tight the thing like hulk and then nothing works as intended.

Since the users just overtight the whole mechanism to make it work the piece that is inside (behind the wedge) starts getting flatter and flatter, really soft metal and then w/o even noticing you eat like 1 mm off the tips of that piece too. The stem once locked needed to stay there probably forever, well we are dealing with old cinelli standards and those back in the day were not good. Sometimes you measure the handlebars and arent 26.5 but close to it, and that doesnt help too much because the handlebar needs to me exactly what they say it should be
."
Old 06-01-20, 02:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by jonny7
Not that I plan to put a 26... It's the original handlebar so I'm assuming it's the correct size, i.e. 26.4
why Assume? .. Measure.

Cinelli quit being unique after a while, and started making theirs in 26.0 too.. improved sales that way..

Old 06-07-20, 04:48 PM
jonny7

Originally Posted by rccardr
The wedge face has a series of grooves cut into it; the bar clamping area also has a series of grooves. These grooves should work together to keep the bar from rotating. If the 'teeth' on the grooves are worn smooth, the clamping action will be weak.
Sometimes, things just wear out; that may be the case here.
Actually just found out that there is no grooves in the handlebar. It is a Cinelli hexagonal handlebar, but as opposed to this model : https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-CINELLI...-/303481702199 ; mine has no groove. See below.

Here is a photo of the back to the wedge "ramp". I don't know if the flat top is natural but I don't see this being the cause of my problem.

Here is the wedge which is pulled down by the bolt. Looks in good shape. There also was a small metal plate between the two pieces as you can see.

The only issue I can detect is with the shape of the handlebar. It seem to match the ramp quite well when you put the bar in a lower position, as below (sorry for the dirty hands):

But the ramp does not perfectly match the surface when you put them in a higher position. There's a small gab I can't get rid off. I imagine the bar isn't perfetly circular, although it's tough to detect just by looking at it.

Even though this is not highly scientific, I tried to match the wedge with another cinelli bar, just by hand, without actually installing them in the stem, and the problem does not seem to occur.

It is possible that the bar lost its original shape due to excess pressure? Would that mean that the bar is kaputt, for such a small detail? Wouldn't it stil be safe to ride it in a lower position?
Old 06-07-20, 05:42 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Sure sounds like excessive clamping pressure might have distorted the handlebar clamping area. I'km often amazed at how much some people reef on their stem and handlebar binder bolts.

Cheers
Old 06-07-20, 07:44 PM
rccardr 

Beats me.
Discussed this with Wayne Bingham the other day and his opinion was, once you move the handlebar from it’s original location with this combination of bar and stem, it will never hold fast again.
Old 06-07-20, 08:13 PM
jonny7

it will never hold fast again.
.... in another position? I mean, I could technically put it back the way it was, no? those Cinelli hex don't come cheap
Old 06-08-20, 06:59 AM
rccardr 

A lot depends on the particular bar, wedge and condition. Apparently those little grooves in the wedge are very sharp but very soft and once the bar slips in the stem it bends them over and they just never grip as well as when new.

Your picture says it all- notice how rounded off the groove edges are?
An aesthetically pleasing stem, but perhaps designed less than perfectly.
One reason why the only Cinelli stems I have on my bikes are 1A's...or Nitto Dynamics. They just work well all of the time as long as you use the correct size bar.
Old 06-09-20, 07:16 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
sizes DO matter, why do you think they're measured to 2/10s of a mm? a cast piece like a stem
has 0% elasticity. the guy using a 26.0 bar with a 26.4 stem is at risk; if you ask a stem to move
past where it's supposed to it will crack. usually not right away and usually without warning.
Old 06-21-20, 12:04 PM
jonny7

So someone suggested that a put a layer of carpet tape around the clamp area to add a little bit to the diameter. Has anyone ever tried this trick?
Old 06-21-20, 12:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

"Someone said" ?

Metal, typically bronze/brass, shim stock is made in precisely measured thicknesses.. it's an automotive/ machine thing..

what is that 'someone's' mechanical background?
Old 06-21-20, 02:00 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 113 Posts
Beats me.
Discussed this with Wayne Bingham the other day and his opinion was, once you move the handlebar from it’s original location with this combination of bar and stem, it will never hold fast again.
The design is fine. It just depends on users doing things properly, which shouldn't be too much to ask. At least in theory.

But even with some wear to the groves of the bar and stem, if you match the right sizes it should be able to lock in just fine even if the teeth aren't pristine.
Old 07-14-20, 10:15 PM
jonny7

For the archives: I ended up being able to secure the handlebar in the position I wanted by simply buying an almost NOS 26.4 cinelli on ebay for a reasonable price. The other one had lost its shape, apparently.