Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The quest for the perfect bike saddle...................again.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The quest for the perfect bike saddle...................again.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 11:39 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Saddle selection used to be much simpler:
1. Everyone used Brooks
2. Women suffered

Then, technology evolved:
1. Old guys used Brooks
2. Young guys used Ariones
3. Middle-age guys used Toupes
4. Women suffered
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-04-22, 11:50 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Hmmm. I don't have uneven leg lengths, but I do have a scoliosis.
So do I.
Old 12-04-22, 12:01 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
You are seeking the unobtainable. The only thing close to excellent comfort will be found on a recumbent bike or trike.

If you are in the snow belt that first 25 mile ride in the spring leaves you butt hurting so bad, you cant ride for a week. Been there and done that. On my bent or trike, you can ride again the next day with no pain at all.
What you are saying is complete nonsense...I managed to obtain a perfect fit on my DF bikes by experimenting. No professional bike fit, I went for a couple of rides and did all the adjustments myself. Bikes are so comfortable now I can ride without padded shorts for up to 5 hours without any discomfort. I also live in the snow belt and manage to ride all year round.
Old 12-04-22, 12:03 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not trying to troll, but no one can suggest a saddle for another person. It's like running shoes, you go through a process to find something that works and you stick with that.

Also, I've never really understood being super picky about saddles. Maybe I'm strange, but ~90% of saddles seem to work just fine for me.
I agree.
Old 12-04-22, 12:36 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Not trying to troll, but no one can suggest a saddle for another person.
Anyone can suggest a saddle for another person. Several people just did.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 12-04-22, 02:50 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Anyone can suggest a saddle for another person. Several people just did.
Zing
Old 12-04-22, 04:01 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Since starting on Strava I have 35k miles, with about 15k of those on a recumbent, which includes some very long rides. Pre Strava the mix was probably more heavily recumbent.

Now the recumbent is hanging while I work through fit and comfort issues on an upright. I managed to finish a 1200k brevet upright on a Sella Anatomica, but it was brutal. A sequence of saddle tests led me to a Terry Fly, which was decent up to 400k, rough at 600k, and contributed to a DNF 700k into a 1500k. Now I'm back to the SA, with the fit tweaked. Nose slightly up, saddle moved forward to put my sit bones further back. I've added aero bars to give me alternate hand positions (hand numbness being another challenge to tackle on the upright), and the modified fitted SA has been decent up to and including a 1000k. "Decent" being a high mark at that distance.

IMO the are a ton of saddles that will be fine for 40 miles, if adjusted to prevent rocking or sliding. As the miles go up, the need for something that aligns with your particular anatomy becomes more important.

The drama associated with bike format is unnecessary and unfortunate. When i occasionally get the bent out, it's like holy crap this thing is luxurious, fast on the flats, and downright scary fast descending. Climbing is hard frickin work. The upright is a more whole body experience, which includes the good with the bad.

​​​​​
Old 12-04-22, 06:01 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Since starting on Strava I have 35k miles, with about 15k of those on a recumbent, which includes some very long rides. Pre Strava the mix was probably more heavily recumbent.

Now the recumbent is hanging while I work through fit and comfort issues on an upright. I managed to finish a 1200k brevet upright on a Sella Anatomica, but it was brutal. A sequence of saddle tests led me to a Terry Fly, which was decent up to 400k, rough at 600k, and contributed to a DNF 700k into a 1500k. Now I'm back to the SA, with the fit tweaked. Nose slightly up, saddle moved forward to put my sit bones further back. I've added aero bars to give me alternate hand positions (hand numbness being another challenge to tackle on the upright), and the modified fitted SA has been decent up to and including a 1000k. "Decent" being a high mark at that distance.

IMO the are a ton of saddles that will be fine for 40 miles, if adjusted to prevent rocking or sliding. As the miles go up, the need for something that aligns with your particular anatomy becomes more important.

The drama associated with bike format is unnecessary and unfortunate. When i occasionally get the bent out, it's like holy crap this thing is luxurious, fast on the flats, and downright scary fast descending. Climbing is hard frickin work. The upright is a more whole body experience, which includes the good with the bad.

​​​​​
Food for thought on saddle fore/aft position. I am slammed back all the way because if I move the saddle forward, I get more pressure on my hands.

Selle Anatomica saddle is designed to be set up nose up unlike most saddles which are usually best level. If I adjust the SA level, I will slide forward. And nose up does not cause perineal numbness on the SA which is the primary reason for not having the nose up.
Old 12-04-22, 06:38 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Instead of a saddle, you need a completely ‘new’ bike that’s not a recumbent so you can hold your head up high!

Likes For rsbob:
Old 12-04-22, 06:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
How old is the saddle you are using now?
Old 12-04-22, 07:02 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
The Brooks Cambium C15 w/cutout has been great for every ride that I take. What it does to my clothing is another matter. The top surface of Cambium saddles is a layer of abrasive material that wears through most fabric. The only way to avoid it would be to wear kevlar trousers/shorts. I wish I could get the same saddle but with a smooth top surface (without going with a leather Brooks though).
Old 12-04-22, 07:10 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
125 mm sit bones? See if the shop can cold set them to 135mm.
Old 12-04-22, 07:28 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
How old is the saddle you are using now?
One has about 6K miles on it, the other has about 12K miles. Both are Selle Anatomica. Same issue with both.

Last edited by Lombard; 12-04-22 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 08:17 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
The Brooks Cambium C15 w/cutout has been great for every ride that I take. What it does to my clothing is another matter. The top surface of Cambium saddles is a layer of abrasive material that wears through most fabric. The only way to avoid it would be to wear kevlar trousers/shorts. I wish I could get the same saddle but with a smooth top surface (without going with a leather Brooks though).
Weird. I run the same saddle with no cutout on one of my most-ridden bikes and have seen no accelerated wear on my bibshorts.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-04-22, 08:48 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Originally Posted by Koyote
Weird. I run the same saddle with no cutout on one of my most-ridden bikes and have seen no accelerated wear on my bibshorts.
How long you been using that saddle with those shorts?

Last edited by Nyah; 12-04-22 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 09:03 PM
Koyote

How long you been using that saddle with those shorts?
That may be the differentiator. I have 5-6 pair of bibs that I cycle through. Though I have been riding that bike about 2,500 miles per year for the past 5+ years, so an average of over 2,500 miles (just on that bike, with more miles on other bikes) on each pair of bibshorts with no unusual wear.

I wonder if the cutout is responsible for your results?
Old 12-04-22, 09:28 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26413 Post(s)
Liked 10,379 Times in 7,207 Posts
...I have a couple of their older model leather saddles, with no cut out. Like all suspension design leather saddles, they tend to stretch as they break in. Unfortunately, in my case this makes them less comfortable. I have laced this one to restore some stiffness, but honestly I think I'm not going to buy any more of these. I guess their current designs are different materials and construction. I have no advice, in this case, other than you could try punching and lacing before you throw them away.

Old 12-04-22, 09:46 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
You are seeking the unobtainable. The only thing close to excellent comfort will be found on a recumbent bike or trike.

If you are in the snow belt that first 25 mile ride in the spring leaves you butt hurting so bad, you cant ride for a week. Been there and done that. On my bent or trike, you can ride again the next day with no pain at all.
Speak for yourself (of course I know you are, but I saw no IMO). Both of your statements are false in my experience. And I've ridden both upright and recumbent bikes. Perfect comfort on the upright, ride the next day in the spring no problem. The trike was very fun, but not as much fun as an upright. It's really a shame you haven't been able to work it out and have had to limit yourself to only one kind of ride.
Old 12-04-22, 10:03 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Originally Posted by Koyote
That may be the differentiator. I have 5-6 pair of bibs that I cycle through. Though I have been riding that bike about 2,500 miles per year for the past 5+ years, so an average of over 2,500 miles (just on that bike, with more miles on other bikes) on each pair of bibshorts with no unusual wear.

I wonder if the cutout is responsible for your results?
I just noticed that Brooks used to make the Cambium saddles with a cotton top layer. Now this is nylon and with a new distinction of "All Weather". Might yours be the cotton one?

Last edited by Nyah; 12-04-22 at 10:09 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 10:18 PM
Greg C.

Bikes: 1990 Trek 970, 95 Schwinn Searcher, 2012 Trek Wasabi cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 7 Posts
The Selle Royal Gel Respiro moderate has worked well for me for couple of years now. I'm 71 and not riding long distances. For shorter rides this one has allowed me to continue to enjoy riding nearly every day. (Link) Selle Royal Gel Respiro Moderate
Old 12-04-22, 10:23 PM
Koyote

I just noticed that Brooks used to make the Cambium saddles with a cotton top layer. Now this is nylon and with a new distinction of "All Weather". Might yours be the cotton one?
I think mine are the older style. Both are 5+ years old.

Last edited by Koyote; 12-06-22 at 09:18 PM.
Old 12-04-22, 10:34 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10956 Post(s)
Liked 7,486 Times in 4,187 Posts
I have a c17 cutout on my main road bike, a c17 regular on my gravel bike, and 3 other c17s on random lesser used bikes.
The 2 most used are both the newer weatherproof, while the others are the older soft cotton.

After maybe a couple hundred miles, the abrasiveness of the new style c17 was gone. They are quite smooth.
I own 0 Kevlar clothing. Just bib shorts touch the saddles and there is no wear that I have noticed.

I would be really annoyed if my bibs wore out quickly because they aren't inexpensive.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-05-22, 03:01 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Hmmm. I don't have uneven leg lengths, but I do have a scoliosis. Had some back issues earlier this year. Went to chiropractor and things improved quite a bit at first. She gave me some stretching exercises (hamstring and Psoas stretches) to do at home which I have done daily ever since. I was delighted at first that this right sit bone pain went away for awhile. I few weeks later, it mysteriously came back and has been there ever since. Not sure what to make of this. The pain seems to radiate down the right hamstring.

I'm wondering if maybe I need to have my fit re-evaluated. I have dialed in my current fit over the years through trial and error and it has worked for quite some time............until now.
I doesn't mean your legs are different lengths. Generally when a person has pain on one side, it is because the saddle is too high and you are dropping to one side to compensate. Saddle issues are rarely the saddle, but in stead poor fit, saddle too high, too much reach, too much drop, or a combination. In the case of saddle pain on one side though, it suggests saddle height being too high. You also lose efficiency with a saddle that is too high. I had the same issue. Dropping my seat height fixed the problem. Same seat, now it's comfortable.

Look at Steve Hogg's method of setting seat height.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Likes For phughes:
Old 12-05-22, 09:24 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by phughes
I doesn't mean your legs are different lengths. Generally when a person has pain on one side, it is because the saddle is too high and you are dropping to one side to compensate. Saddle issues are rarely the saddle, but in stead poor fit, saddle too high, too much reach, too much drop, or a combination. In the case of saddle pain on one side though, it suggests saddle height being too high. You also lose efficiency with a saddle that is too high. I had the same issue. Dropping my seat height fixed the problem. Same seat, now it's comfortable.

Look at Steve Hogg's method of setting seat height.

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ard-can-it-be/

https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...d-can-it-be-2/
Thanks for this! Some good food for thought here.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 12-05-22, 09:48 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com...ion-smp-seats/
Likes For DaveSSS:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.