Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Reynolds 2-bolt I-beam stem question

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 12-04-22, 10:46 AM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 109 Posts

I picked up a Reynolds 2-bolt I-beam stem about a year ago and went to use it on an old Hobbs that I am building up, but the stem confused me. I've seen some with slots at the bottom, but mine did not have any, despite the expander bolt and wedge.

Today, I notice a very similar looking one on Ebay, minus the expander bolt and wedge, but you can see the head of the bolt at the top. What were these intended for?

In my case, I plan to use it on a head-clip bike, though I may create my own slots at the bottom for additional support.

For anyone interested, this is what I am referring to.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23479134919...Bk9SR6il6t-bYQ

The below are snipped from the auction above.

Likes For beech333:
Old 12-04-22, 12:33 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

expander type -

clamp style type -

CENTRIX of France produced a similar appearing model -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 12-04-22, 01:09 PM
bluesteak 

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 52 Posts
I have a similar stem on my 51 Raleigh clubman which I bought already restored. Mine has an expander and a clamp. The clamp requires an extended steerer to work. Someone correct me if I am wrong, since I don’t recall ever taking mine apart.

Old 12-04-22, 02:19 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

expander type -

clamp style type -

CENTRIX of France produced a similar appearing model -

-----
I get that there are some without a bolt at all and they are intended to be clamped, but why are some that come with bolts entirely missing a slot to allow the stem to widen as an wedge/expander is tightened. The stems are usually pretty tall, so I have wondered if they were designed for users to cut to the needed length and add their own slots, but that is purely a guess.
Likes For beech333:
Old 12-04-22, 03:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
That’s a new one to me. I’ve had stems designed for headclips but they weren’t drilled for a bolt. The wedge is one of those conical units?
Old 12-06-22, 06:36 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Those old GB girder stems are hard to find. I used to search eBay for them constantly, and i always got outbid on the few that came up.

The headclip style stem is not British Engineering at its best. It's a weird system, involving a Y-shaped(?) cut in the steerer that aligned with the clamp... and in my experience it didn't work very well. To be fair I've only used the stuff that was already 60 years old and probably worn out, maybe it worked better back in the day.
At any rate on my Fothergill i have a headclip and an expander wedge. By itself the headclip isn't reliable.

OP's stem is an odd one for sure, but who knows. I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed that way. How it got this way is a matter for speciation.
Old 12-06-22, 06:48 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Originally Posted by rhm
Those old GB girder stems are hard to find. I used to search eBay for them constantly, and i always got outbid on the few that came up.

The headclip style stem is not British Engineering at its best. It's a weird system, involving a Y-shaped(?) cut in the steerer that aligned with the clamp... and in my experience it didn't work very well. To be fair I've only used the stuff that was already 60 years old and probably worn out, maybe it worked better back in the day.
At any rate on my Fothergill i have a headclip and an expander wedge. By itself the headclip isn't reliable.

OP's stem is an odd one for sure, but who knows. I'm pretty sure it wasn't designed that way. How it got this way is a matter for speciation.
The ebay listing is not my stem. I have one that is similar and I thought it was a modification, but it did not show any signs of being cut shorter. Seeing another one, this just seems weird. I guess I will cut my own notch, then use it on my Hobbs, since I am also not thrilled with the headclip as the only source of support. .
Old 12-07-22, 03:47 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
The ebay listing is not my stem. I have one that is similar and I thought it was a modification, but it did not show any signs of being cut shorter. Seeing another one, this just seems weird. I guess I will cut my own notch, then use it on my Hobbs, since I am also not thrilled with the headclip as the only source of support. .
I have an expander-type stem (GB something) in a headclip steerer, and yes I tighten them both:

Old 12-07-22, 06:40 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 933 Times in 486 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Those old GB girder stems are hard to find.
The GB "girder" stem does have the expander slots at the bottom of the shaft.
If I were O.P., I'd think twice about purchasing the one in his post.
Old 12-07-22, 12:09 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
The GB "girder" stem does have the expander slots at the bottom of the shaft.
If I were O.P., I'd think twice about purchasing the one in his post.
I already have one and have no desire to buy another. When I bought mine on Ebay, it showed the bolt at the top, but did not show that there were no slots at the bottom of the stem, so I assumed the bolt served a purpose.