Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Floor pump came apart , Serfas FP-50

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-22, 01:22 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts

My floor pump came off its base yesterday. The screws that held the base to the shaft had never been screwed into their holes. The base has 3 pairs of holes, not symmetric with the shaft - the shaft had been installed backwards; the screws had a little purchase against the side of the shaft. I'm surprised it held so long. Serfas FP-50, bought 2009 November 14.
Old 11-23-22, 01:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Serfas used to have a lifetime warranty. Before we finally dropped them we were frequently warrantying a lot of pumps usually at least one per week. You might see if they can replace it but I would just go for a Topeak pump.
Old 11-23-22, 03:16 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3490 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I would just go for a Topeak pump.
Or even better, a Silca!
Old 11-23-22, 10:26 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I had a couple Topeaks that broke too. My Serfas FP200 I bought in 2016 and still works great… early problem with the gauge was warrantied.
Old 11-23-22, 11:19 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Hey man... You can fix it...
Old 11-24-22, 05:36 AM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Serfas used to have a lifetime warranty. Before we finally dropped them we were frequently warrantying a lot of pumps usually at least one per week. You might see if they can replace it .
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I had a couple Topeaks that broke too. My Serfas FP200 I bought in 2016 and still works great… early problem with the gauge was warrantied.
I kept the tag, which promises a lifetime warranty, and the receipt. How do I invoke the warranty? It's not worth shipping anywhere.

Originally Posted by zandoval
Hey man... You can fix it...
Of course I fixed it. I thought that was obvious. All I had to do was rotate it 180°; the screw holes are unused. In addition I glued it. The point of my post was that they made this mistake in manufacture.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 11-24-22, 09:33 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Originally Posted by Arthur Peabody
I kept the tag, which promises a lifetime warranty, and the receipt. How do I invoke the warranty? It's not worth shipping anywhere.

Of course I fixed it. I thought that was obvious. All I had to do was rotate it 180°; the screw holes are unused. In addition I glued it. The point of my post was that they made this mistake in manufacture.
You can take it to your local shop that sold it or that sells Serfas or just reach out to them and they can probably guide you. We were a stocking dealer so we just reached out to the rep or maybe directly via email it has been a while but most companies have some way of reaching out and in the end they will direct you pretty well on what to do or just say hey we can handle that if no shops in the area. It is worth a shot and if nothing else you took a couple minutes to write an email or head down to the LBS and at the best you will have a new pump from them.

Good luck!