Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 12-14-08, 03:36 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Bikes: 1990 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather was beautiful today, 55 degrees and partly cloudy, so I decided to take a nice long ride. I ended up taking a 25 mile ride, it was very nice, except for the fact that there was a 30 mph wind blowing me all over the road. I also realized that the 73 Schwinn Continental gets very HEAVY after 10 miles....I thought a 40 pound bike wouldn't be that bad but geesh. Anyway hope you enjoy the scenery!

This is about 4 miles into the trip, a very old wooden bridge, used to be a covered bridge, that goes over some train tracks.

Old 12-14-08, 03:42 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally I stopped to eat a banana and some granola at about mile 15, decided to take a close up shot of the bike, new bar tape and b17.
Old 12-14-08, 03:52 PM
steve-d
Too many hobbies!

Bikes: Maserati MT-2 (reviewed in Road and Track, 1974; Raleigh Competion GS Carlton; Dawes Super Gallexy; Hollands; Raleigh Professional

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to the local Hanover, PA bike club meeting place for a 1:30 ride. It was only me and another person. We went for a 20 mile ride in horse country. We had a good day and the trip was about an hour and 10 or 15. Nothing outrageous. Probably all I'm good for these days.

I was kinda surprised with the minimal show-up, as the temp was about 45* with a minimal wind.

It was a good day and my first in a LOOOOONG time.

BTW, Metalchef87, nice pics. I'll have to take some next time.

Steve

Last edited by steve-d; 12-14-08 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 04:07 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My club had our Holiday Ride last night

We had about 20 people dressed as Santa, and about 35 total. I'll post more pictures as I get them

Me on my Chiorda folder with SA 3-speed

Old 12-14-08, 08:09 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Took part in Bike Miami (our local, makeshift Ciclovia) Part Deux.

A significant dud - only 10% as many people in comparison to the first event in November. Nevertheless, a heck of a lot of fun, and most of the local, lugged steel fixie team showed up. A fellow with a near-minty '73 Raleigh International - complete with Honjo fenders - was also there, along with the owner of Mack Cycle riding upon her all-chrome '72 Paramount P15-9. Regretfully, I do not have a photo of either bike.

We did a couple of laps around the Bayfront Park fountain for a photo shoot:

Erik, star rider of the local Alleycat leads on his Cannondale Track; followed by Mike on his '85 Team Pro:

Holdsworth (fellow's name escapes me - sorry!), a Jamis, and Rydel on the inside, on his Sempion:

Erik on the outside; I'm on the inside with the '61 Paramount:

Mike on the '85 Team Pro, Naveed on his Fuji Obey, followed by the Holdsworth:

Yours truly being corny:

Mad Peloton Skillz:

Debate about Alleycat checkpoints, Brooks saddles galore (not visible is the Brooks Swift on Naveed's Fuji, or my Paramount's Brooks B15 in the obscured background. Come to think of it, all four bikes in the area of this photo were "Brooks'ed"):

P.S.: Despite riding fixed, you will be glad to know that the local fellows are against Drew'ing frames - not a single machine here has had a Dremel come near it.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 12-14-08 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-14-08, 10:40 PM
Rober

Bikes: 1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE]The weather was beautiful today, 55 degrees and partly cloudy, so I decided to take a nice long ride. I ended up taking a 25 mile ride, it was very nice, except for the fact that there was a 30 mph wind blowing me all over the road. I also realized that the 73 Schwinn Continental gets very HEAVY after 10 miles....I thought a 40 pound bike wouldn't be that bad but geesh. Anyway hope you enjoy the scenery!

You have a timeless Americana bike - not fussy, just real and beautifully restored. These are great pics. You live in a very idyllic place. It must be inspirational to ride around where you live. Thanks! -Rober
Old 12-15-08, 12:22 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Kurt - looks like you and the gang are having waaaaaay too much fun.

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-15-08, 02:21 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by bigbossman
Kurt - looks like you and the gang are having waaaaaay too much fun.
More fun then Mount Diablo, anyway

We did have the South Miami Av. bridge though:

-Kurt

Old 12-15-08, 02:34 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by cudak888
More fun then Mount Diablo, anyway

We did have the South Miami Av. bridge though:

Well..... right now, it's hailing here at the house. Which means that up on top of Diablo there is probably a bit of snow right now. Happens a couple/three time a year, and makes for poor riding conditions.

I hate winter.

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-15-08, 02:41 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Well..... right now, it's hailing here at the house. Which means that up on top of Diablo there is probably a bit of snow right now. Happens a couple/three time a year, and makes for poor riding conditions.
Time to try out some Extreme Sledding Skillz...

-Kurt

Old 12-15-08, 06:19 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts

I hate winter.
I hear ya, but it should make for some nice green pix in a few.
Old 12-17-08, 04:02 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by curbtender
I hear ya, but it should make for some nice green pix in a few.
Check it out - Diablo has snow today:

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-17-08, 06:58 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,071 Times in 633 Posts
Check it out - Diablo has snow today:

That's where a touring bike with fat tires would come in handy.
Old 12-17-08, 07:40 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Originally Posted by USAZorro
That's where a touring bike with fat tires would come in handy.
Naw - it two days it'll be all gone, and winter will be over (Thank God - it's been brutal so far). I can wait.

S. J. Perelman
Old 12-24-08, 02:47 PM
sailorbenjamin

Bikes: one of each

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I actually took this ride on my birthday (last May 30th, mark your calendars). I hadn't figured out photobucket yet so I didn't post them. I thought I'd save them for a rainy day. Now, after 2 feet of snow, it's raining again. Here you go;

We live a stones throw from New Hampshire, Just across the Salmon Falls River in Maine. That's NH on the left and Maine on the right.

The trail is just across a little bridge on the New Hampshire side.

There's a great view of Maine. My house is on the other side of these trees.

This guy (or girl) shows up for a couple of weeks in the spring and in the fall.

Of course, I gotta show off my favorite C+V dirt bike.

It's a 1950 Schwinn with some of the parts taken off and some other ones put on.

And here's the same spot after the big ice storm a couple of weeks ago. Of course we had two weeks of snow since then and you can almost walk across the river now.

Happy Holidays
Old 12-25-08, 09:30 PM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a Christmas Day ride today! Just a very relaxed 5 mile ride around town, but it was sooooo nice just to be out and riding. 34 degrees and beautiful. I rode at night so it was stunning...riding through the different neighborhoods and looking at the lights for the last time most likely. I think I saw maybe three cars the entire time...I was riding on the MUP for part of the ride and one of the cars that passed me the whole ride decided to stop and give me an "educationional" talk (Yell is more like it) on why I should not ride a bicycle in this day and age. I just nodded politely and gave them a wave good bye as I sped off in the darkness.
Old 12-25-08, 11:17 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by metalchef87
...decided to stop and give me an "educationional" talk (Yell is more like it) on why I should not ride a bicycle in this day and age.
<humor>
Too bad you didn't give him an "educationional" talk on why he should not drive a car in this day and age.
</humor>

This was when you were on the MUP, no less? Fun stuff for A&S!

-Kurt

Old 12-26-08, 08:23 AM
metalchef87
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
<humor>
Too bad you didn't give him an "educationional" talk on why he should not drive a car in this day and age.
</humor>

This was when you were on the MUP, no less? Fun stuff for A&S!

-Kurt
Yeah well Rednecks don't care where you ride...they just care THAT you ride...I get more big @$$ trucks that look like they have been through ww2, try to run me off the road than you could imagine.
Old 12-26-08, 09:25 PM
bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Baby, it's cold outside....

Between work, illness and weather I have not been out on a bike in three weeks (12/6). Because of the extended layoff I must admit I was feeling a bit lethargic, and had more than a touch of ennui. However, good sense (and a good natured push by the wife) got me out the door.

Even though I was wearing my normally adequate winter attire of knickers, long sleeve base layer, jersey, and full-fingered gloves, I didn't get half a mile before having to stop and put on my reserve jacket. Dang - it was nippy out under that clear blue sky!

After about 4-5 miles, I was wondering if I'd made a mistake, and fought urges to turn around and go home. Realizing that I felt sluggish precisely because I had been sitting around the house too much as it was, I pressed on. After all, Starbucks was only a 6 mile ride - I could certainly make that.

By the time I hit the first Starbucks, I was feeling much more in tune, and so passed it and pressed on. At 11 miles, I stopped for a coffee and a muffin at Peet's Coffee. I felt much better after that, and decided that instead of turning for home I'd make a bona-fide loop out of it.

So, I started out with renewed vigor and decided to tackle some light climbing. Along the way, I explored new neighborhoods, got dead-ended once or twice, and eventually made it back to more familiar roads back toward the house.

One more stop (for hot chocolate!) at a different Peet's in Danville at mile 26, and I made the final milk-run to home and hearth.

It never got over 50 degrees, so I suffered a bit in a chill breeze for most of the day. My two best riding buddies bailed on me, and I sure could have used the company as it was hard to shake off the holiday induced lethargy. But, after I got into the rhythm of things it worked out for the best.

Al told, a little over 31 miles and ~2,000' of climbing.

Diablo, as seen from a new (to me) neighborhood:

S. J. Perelman

Last edited by bigbossman; 12-27-08 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-28-08, 10:50 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Good idea, passing Starbucks and going to Peet's.
Old 12-28-08, 11:31 AM
onetwentyeight 
blah

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Yesterday a group of friends and I went cx-ing in Marin county. Met near golden gate park and crossed the bridge taking as many random muddy detours as we could through the presidio. We then stopped in down town Mill Valley picking up a baguette and a package of salami. From there we headed through back streets till we hit Old Railroad Grade (9 miles of 5% grade) where we were treated to amazing views of the area at the top. We then descended down eldridge grade (super rocky! Ooof!) and stopped half way for our snack, and then descended the remaining way down to Phoenix lake. The weather was great, cold, and drizzly as we got to the higher altitudes, dry and the lower bits. The trails were lush and alive, but not too muddy, phoenix lake looked like glass.

We then made our way back to San Francisco via ross, kentfield, larkspur, camino alto, mill valley, sausalito where we stopped in the lower haight to absolutely demolish some hamburgers. Great day.

i know a few people who take their rando bikes up there, i cant wait to give that a shot on my sport tourer when its finish. north bay camping trips here i come!
Old 12-28-08, 02:27 PM
YoKev
hi

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I got the itch to go ride today since it was close to 50ºF outside. Too much snow in the woods, but I figured that my good 'ol standby would be fine; The Jeep trail up Overlook Mountain in Woodstock. Typically, it's plowed in the winter so a truck can access the cell tower up top.

I parked in town, and made the road ride up to the trail head at KTD Monastery. No dice; not plowed.

So I cruised back down to town after resting a bit, and played around on the Comeau Trails. Overlook Mountain is in the background...the road makes it up about 3/4 of the way to the top before it turns to trail.

Old 12-28-08, 09:22 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The weather here really warmed up. Yesterday, I rode a 97 steel Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo on the local rails to trails for a 1 hour ride. The trail is all packed gravel. My lack of riding during November & December really shows. Today my legs really hurt. I'm going to have to really increase my ride time and my trainer time.
The Gary Fisher rode really nice. I might make it a keeper but I have to ride a couple other bikes to decide.
Old 12-28-08, 10:56 PM
curbtender

Great shot of the city.
Old 12-29-08, 06:23 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
No pics, but...

Today I had to take the car in for some warranty work. I took the bike on the bike carrier, dropped off the car and set out riding. I rode from the dealer on the west side of Fort Worth to the Stockyards on the north side and got me some lunch at Joe T. Garcia's, one of the more well-regarded Mexican places in town.

The ride out was all on surface streets (since I didn't really have a plan when I started). Along the way, I crossed over the Trinity River (and bike trail) in River Oaks and made a mental note of it for my return ride. After lunch I rode right to the trail where it dumps into the Stockyards, and followed the river downtown, then back to the northwest, taking a branch that I'd never ridden and eventually came up where I had noted the crossing earlier. From there I retraced my steps, more or less, back to the dealership.

The Trinity River Trail has several branches that all come together downtown. They all follow branches of the river which winds through Fort Worth. In my experience, the southwest branch has the most traffic. The branch that heads north to the Stockyards and the other branch that heads northwest to River Oaks were both deserted; I could probably count the number of people I saw on my fingers over about 10 miles that I was on the trail. I was wary because I've heard of people being jumped on MUPs, but all the people I saw were quite harmless. The worst disruption was a young mother out for a walk with her two daughters on their bicycles, plus their two dogs who she let run loose. I was a little apprehensive, but the dogs pretty much ignored me as a rode through.

Here is a link to a bikely map of my route. And here is a link to the Trinity River Trail map. Thirty-three+ miles on the Dumpster Queen. It's proving to be a very easy bike to ride.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.