Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Blasphemy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 08:02 AM
Michael Angelo 

Bikes: Treks (USA), Schwinn Paramount, Schwinn letour,Raleigh Team Professional, Gazelle GoldLine Racing, 2 Super Mondias, Carlton Professional.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Looks great. Would a different spacer not have saved you from cutting another 1/8" off of the steerer?
+1
Old 04-26-12, 09:34 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
Looks great. Would a different spacer not have saved you from cutting another 1/8" off of the steerer?
Funny, but we did consider that as an option, too. However, I decided two things there and then: one, this bike will never go back to a vintage setup and, two, I'll always run a CK in this frame (OCD kinda guy that I am, I'm already working on getting a NOS spare CK).

Plus, I probably lightened this baby up by a whole 30 grams

DD
Old 04-30-12, 04:45 AM
photogravity
Hopelessly addicted...

Bikes: 1949 Hercules Kestrel, 1950 Norman Rapide, 1970 Schwinn Collegiate, 1972 Peugeot UE-8, 1976 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Raleigh Sports, 1977 Jack Taylor Tandem, 1984 Davidson Tandem, 2010 Bilenky "BQ" 650B Constructeur Tandem, 2011 Linus Mixte

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Plus, I probably lightened this baby up by a whole 30 grams
Yeah, those 30 grams will surely make a huge difference in your ride times.
Old 07-13-12, 04:12 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Bump for an interesting tidbit

Since I will be heading to a tropical island (well, atoll is more like it) and only able to take one bike, I have already decided that to chance any of the vintage rigs with the salt air would be irresponsible. So, the Davidson will get the nod.

The catch: the Navy has to ship it for me. I've had issues with this method of shipment before

Today, I found the coolest thing to ensure 100% that the fork and rear triangle will not be mashed during transit. Check it out:

Now, I've see Cinelli's rear triangle thing (has a large alloy chain guide and twin knobs on the outer ends to tighten it into the dropouts) and even owned one, but the large knobs foul the rear derailleur. I found these to be rather cool, since they will lock in just like a hub.

A question: the auction states the length of the rear protector is 115mm; my Davidson's rear spacing is 130mm. Will I cause any irreparable damage if I spread this to accommodate the protector for the one/two weeks shipping time?

Thanks!

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 07-13-12 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 04:58 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I would just use some washers and a longer quick release for the rear if it's 15mm too short.
Old 07-13-12, 06:52 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by mazdaspeed
I would just use some washers and a longer quick release for the rear if it's 15mm too short.
But...but...that wouldn't be quite as cool as these

DD
Old 07-13-12, 06:59 PM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Um... use those and ​a 15mm spacer...
Old 07-13-12, 07:04 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by Andycapp
Um... use those and ​a 15mm spacer...
Doh!

Do you think that'll work? The axles seem pretty short on the exposed ends. I hope there's enough room left to get spacers in and still allow enough axle in the dropout.

I guess I'll find out

Thanks for waking me up...

DD
Old 01-22-13, 07:56 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Back from the dead post...

DD: With all the Drillium & Ti parts & me being a weight-weenie, what was the final weight of this beauty...?

I gotsta know. But w/ all the confusion, I really don't remember after 23 pages of sifting, maybe 20 or 21 lbs, So tell me Dude, was I lucky?

Once again DD: Gorgeous bike & build. Thx for the Thread

Orange you glad I ressurrected this one.
Old 01-22-13, 09:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by 1 Lugnut
DD: With all the Drillium & Ti parts & me being a weight-weenie, what was the final weight of this beauty...?

I gotsta know. But w/ all the confusion, I really don't remember after 23 pages of sifting, maybe 20 or 21 lbs, So tell me Dude, was I lucky?
Well, I wish you'd have asked before you had to go through 23 pages! I'll be dropping by WNG's shop in the next couple of days and I'll get it weighed then - we'll see how close you were

DD
Old 01-24-13, 11:51 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I put it on the hook at Will's shop yesterday - 22.40 lbs. As I suspected, modern parts weigh more than old-school parts

Yeah, it's got clinchers, but I still think the weight is surprisingly high. Anyone have any feedback about Reynolds 853 tubeset weights?

Oh, yeah - I popped on a pair of Campy NR steel-caged pedals and the bar is still wearing its "watch", but still...

Proof is in the pics:

For the record, my drillium Alpina weighed in at 20.11 lbs on this very same scale.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 01-24-13 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-24-13, 01:23 PM
kaliayev
Gouge Away

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I had a 52cm 2000 Voodoo Rada made of TIG-welded 853 Pro Team main tubes and 725 stays that came in at 1450g.

Last edited by kaliayev; 01-24-13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-24-13, 01:56 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
I put it on the hook at Will's shop yesterday - 22.40 lbs. As I suspected, modern parts weigh more than old-school parts

Yeah, it's got clinchers, but I still think the weight is surprisingly high. Anyone have any feedback about Reynolds 853 tubeset weights?

Well, I thought it would have come in a bit lighter, but I guess not. Lighter wheels (tubulars) would most likely make-up the difference...& a few more Ti parts.
I know nothing about 853 tubing, other than it's prolly very stiff...?

Thx for the weigh-in DD. Still, a very fine ride...!
Old 01-24-13, 04:37 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 2,124 Times in 554 Posts
Yeah, it's got clinchers, but I still think the weight is surprisingly high.
Must be the brifters and all those superfluous gears in the back.

'72 Cilo Pacer • '72 Peugeot PX10 • '73 Speedwell Ti • '74 Nishiki Competition • '74 Peugeot UE-8 • '86 Look Equipe 753 • '86 Look KG86 • '89 Parkpre Team Road • '90 Parkpre Team MTB • '90 Merlin Ti

Avatar photo courtesy of jeffveloart.com, contact: contact: jeffnil8 (at) gmail.com.
Old 01-25-13, 12:53 AM
conradpdx

Bikes: 70"s Raleigh Superbe, 1959 Murray Vanguard Middle weigh cruiser

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally approved, my dream build right now is my 74 Super Course upgraded with a Schlumph (sp?) Mt drive upgrade and a S&A 8 speed with drums/dyno all the way around. I'd even do brifters on it if I could......

I mean if you're gunna jump off the cliff might as well make it a big one right?
Old 01-25-13, 12:02 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Very, very, very nice!!!
Is that one headed to DG with you?
Don't sweat the weight. That's just life. I'm in the same boat with the Ciocc - best I can tell, I'll be sitting right at 20 with Athena and 1550g wheels. The frame/fork is 6.5 pounds, so there's the biggest factor right there. Ergo Brifters do weigh more than DT, but to me the weight is well worth the added convenience and performance.
Old 08-28-15, 06:57 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Bump for an interesting (to me) update.

After dealing with a ghost shifting issue since the build was completed waaaaaay back when, I finally bit the bullet and decided to purchase a pair of nearly-unused Ergos on Ebay. Found a pair for $140 BIN with free shipping - that sounded like a deal to me.

Some pics:

Talk about clean! I can't recall the last time I saw a pair without at least some scuffing to the black bodies, not to mention the levers. To me, this is a score. NO discernable wear to the hoods, which also fit tightly. These have to be very, very low miles - and so, I assume the G-springs have plenty more clicks left in them, thus I expect mounting this Ergo pair will finally cure my ghost-shifting issues.

Now, I understand those that might be thinking that they won't go with the modern drillium theme of the bike. Have no fear. I will swap out the lever blades for the milled/painted ones currently on the bike. Yes, I'll lose the stripped/polished bare alloy bodies, but not forever. Once I have the current Ergos off the bike, I'll dig into the right lever and replace the G-springs myself and remount the whole shebang over the winter. But I want to finish this summer strong and have to be able to rely on my gears NOT jumping out on me under heavy load on climbs.

I mean, this was the result the last time it happened:

Superficial cut to my knee, caused by my handlebar end cap. I struck it when the jumped cog jerked my leg in a funny way just as it reached the top of the stroke. Took the bike right out from beneath me, tho I held onto the bars and my feet both stayed in the clips. I landed on my hip - not heavily; in fact, no part of the bike ever touched the ground and I popped right back up after unclipping from the pedals. But it could've been much worse.

So anyway, just thought I'd share the fact that I seem to have gotten very lucky regarding price and condition here and believe that I have a final solution, too. I hope so! Once they arrive I'll have the shop in Snohomish install them and then I hope to get a few more rides in before the wet weather arrives for real.

DD
Old 08-28-15, 07:06 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Ouch!!!!!!

Those "new to you" Ergos look fritzy fresh.

Get those babies on that nice bike before it snows or something.
Old 08-28-15, 07:17 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Exactly, Grady - I really want to go pounding up some climbs with no worries before the rain/snow flies! I wish these were here yesterday

DD
Old 09-11-15, 04:38 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I'm happy to report that my stop-gap, near-NOS and unmodified second-generation Ergopower levers went on the bike on Tuesday. On Wednesday I did 60 miles without a hitch - pulled some good off-piste climbs to give the drivetrain a good pounding to see if I could duplicate the ghost-shifting issue when using the drilliumed Ergos. Nada.

The right Ergo is still at the shop getting new G-springs installed. One of the guys there - Nigel - loves to tear down/build up the old stuff. If that rebuild goes well, I'll probably re-install the modded Ergos during the winter and keep these "new" ones as spares.

Glad I can finally give this the boot going uphill without any more worries of my gears jumping out at exactly the wrong time

DD
Old 12-07-22, 09:48 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

After swapping from 6-speed Campy Super Record to 8-speed Campy Ergopower nearly a decade ago, a few spec changes have been made over the passage of years. The latest was dictated by by the results of a low-speed rear impact by a car. The Davidson now sports a beautiful new tubular wheelset using the original hubs, new Mavic Reflex rims, and a pair of Vittoria Corsa Control G 2.0 tires. Since I added some color with the blue-anodized rims, I decided to add a few more blue highlights, and there are a couple more blue alloy bits coming to add the finishing touch.

The bike today, shortly after mounting the tubulars, but before the test ride:

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 12-08-22 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 10:10 PM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What an absolute blast from the past. I haven't been active on here for quite a long time as life has happened and other hobbies have come and gone. DD the bike looks even better with the blue bits than it did when you first posted it 11 years ago (!!!) Had to go back and read through the thread again, thanks for posting an update.
Likes For yellowjeep:
Old 12-07-22, 11:27 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Originally Posted by yellowjeep
What an absolute blast from the past. I haven't been active on here for quite a long time as life has happened and other hobbies have come and gone. DD the bike looks even better with the blue bits than it did when you first posted it 11 years ago (!!!) Had to go back and read through the thread again, thanks for posting an update.
Thanks for the up-vote on the new colors! Good to hear from you, and welcome back, if only for a moment. I get you on the hobbies thing. I do more riding these days, no more drilling, less collecting, and such. But I still like this place well enough, and they let me hang around, so...

Do you still have the yellow jeep - or did that go the way of 'other hobbies'?

You went back through and re-read the whole thread?! Wow - I'm impressed; I'd forgotten it was 22 pages in length

DD
Old 12-07-22, 11:44 PM
yellowjeep

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the up-vote on the new colors! Good to hear from you, and welcome back, if only for a moment. I get you on the hobbies thing. I do more riding these days, no more drilling, less collecting, and such. But I still like this place well enough, and they let me hang around, so...

Do you still have the yellow jeep - or did that go the way of 'other hobbies'?

You went back through and re-read the whole thread?! Wow - I'm impressed; I'd forgotten it was 22 pages in length

DD
I do not have the Jeep anymore sadly. I was 17 when I started my account here and it was my first car. Sold for something more sensible when I went to college. Regret didn't come until years later and now I wish I could find another one. Got a degree, got a pilots license, got married, got a house, got another pilot rating, had a kid, stopped flying, had another kid...
I did not read every thing but I did go back and look at the first 8 or so pages and my original comment that got me subscribed to the thread. I am guessing you're long since retired retired from the Navy at this point, I hope you're enjoying what ever you are up to now.
Likes For yellowjeep:
Old 12-08-22, 06:30 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 480 Post(s)
Liked 1,575 Times in 731 Posts
A little blasphemy can go a long way!
Likes For BTinNYC:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.