Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Old 04-06-20, 08:58 PM
valve_timing

Bikes: 2018 Breezer Doppler Pro , 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Valve_Timing,
Try to hold on to that bike ... that livery is kind of rare ...
JD
yeah I love the color I would just like a size down .
Old 04-06-20, 09:10 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Originally Posted by valve_timing
I measured Center bb to the edge of the seat post and got 60cm should I have measured at the lug instead?
No. you got it.. I think we are saying the same thing: where the seatpost enters the lug on the side and not the front or back. So that is your seat height in that picture? You have a keeper.
Old 04-06-20, 09:14 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by Classtime
No. you got it.. I think we are saying the same thing: where the seatpost enters the lug on the side and not the front or back. So that is your seat height in that picture? You have a keeper.
I’ll post a pic with the current seat tomorrow.
Old 04-06-20, 10:42 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
WOW, THATS AMAZING! RobbieTunes fleslider jim dandy
So where did you get it and how much is original? Any back story to it?
Nice and a 60cm to boot!

Thats interesting that its from Kentucky, this will be the first one that was not in CA or TX.

I also would be interested in seeing the Serial Number..
Old 04-07-20, 07:14 AM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by fleslider
Nice and a 60cm to boot!

Thats interesting that its from Kentucky, this will be the first one that was not in CA or TX.

I also would be interested in seeing the Serial Number..
yeah its a 60 I’m gonna put it for sale or trade. I wanna find something in 58cm
Old 04-07-20, 07:28 AM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
I do. Tribiker19 has first dibs, as soon as she stops growing...

Once her fit is dialed in, I will let you know.

I think I have a 90mm available RFN....
Shoot--was I supposed to answer a question that I missed?

I have over 400 unread emails from the last three days to add to the 200 unread emails from the prior three days. And it's tax season.

The one I did read yesterday stated that my race isn't postponed, it's cancelled and now I get to decide where I'm going to transfer to. Options include a couple on the East Coast (MD, NC, Atlantic City, FL, Lake Placid--which is close to me but has another hilly ride) or IM70.3 Texas. Oh, and they want the answer within a few days. So now I'm debating the merits of a "flat but windy" ride over a hilly ride.
Old 04-07-20, 08:05 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Coincidentally, I rode my '89 STB Sunday. Only 20 miles. I was hoping to make 26, however the further out I went the more threat of rain, so I turned around at 10 miles. My '89 Ironman is quick yet stable, steel yet light, and one size smaller than my other 3 Ironman yet fits really good with regular road bars.
Once I hit the turnaround and had 8.5 miles left, I looked behind me and a cyclist had just turned on to the road i was on, about 60 feet behind me. Keeping in line with the current guidelines I decided to shift to the big ring and put some distance between us. A half mile later there's a stop sign so I slowed to almost a complete stop then I took off. Generally I down shift, but I figured I could muscle the big ring up to speed. A quarter mile later They caught me. I didn't realize there were Two. A woman was pulling at that point and the guy said how you doing, and I said Good. I let them get a "safe" distance and then challenge accepted. I didn't ask to join because I wasn't on their wheel but I stayed approximately 25 feet behind them. In retrospect I should have stayed further considering our speed. Anyways, considering my ego/vanity I figured they had to be tired from trying to reel me in.
This is my main regular route so i know it well and anticipated every incline and shift. Eventually, we got 4 miles left and a stop light. I knew I couldn't hang with them anymore unless I drafted and that was entirely out of the question. So staying far enough away from them on the side I passed them as they unclipped and said see y'all later. The guy said have a good day. I hoped that after the light turned green they would go straight and Not turn left like I did.
They were young (college age) lean and fit on carbon bikes. The girl was pulling the whole way. And the guy kept looking back to see if they had dropped me. I'm pretty sure they couldn't believe an old guy with a pot belly on a steel bike could keep up with them. Also they were completely kitted and I was wearing a sport shirt over a long sleeve sport shirt. Had I been on one of my other Ironman that have aerobars, I might gotten away initially.
They really were cyclist, shaved legs, smooth pedaling and the like. And I'm not, I'm a Triathlete and out of shape as well. Only residual fitness and them two at the end of possibly a long ride allowed me to stay with them. But then again it could be that I was on my IRONMAN.

My '89 9 speed Summertime Blues Ironman. 7700 Dura Ace BB, FD, RD, chain, Crankset and Brakeset. OEM HS. '86 IM seatpost, vetta TT trishock saddle, cheap wheels, ultegra cassette, and italian stem.

Last edited by texaspandj; 04-07-20 at 09:46 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 08:12 AM
valve_timing

n0d5223 is the serial

Last edited by valve_timing; 04-07-20 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-07-20, 01:40 PM
texaspandj

Here's my serial number, makes me wonder if there are more out there
Old 04-07-20, 03:14 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
...I looked behind me and a cyclist had just turned on to the road i was on, about 60 feet behind me. Keeping in line with the current guidelines I decided to shift to the big ring and put some distance between us. A half mile later there's a stop sign so I slowed to almost a complete stop then I took off. Generally I down shift, but I figured I could muscle the big ring up to speed. A quarter mile later They caught me. I didn't realize there were Two. A woman was pulling at that point and the guy said how you doing, and I said Good. I let them get a "safe" distance and then challenge accepted. I didn't ask to join because I wasn't on their wheel but I stayed approximately 25 feet behind them. In retrospect I should have stayed further considering our speed. Anyways, considering my ego/vanity I figured they had to be tired from trying to reel me in.
This is my main regular route so i know it well and anticipated every incline and shift. Eventually, we got 4 miles left and a stop light. I knew I couldn't hang with them anymore unless I drafted and that was entirely out of the question. So staying far enough away from them on the side I passed them as they unclipped and said see y'all later. The guy said have a good day. I hoped that after the light turned green they would go straight and Not turn left like I did.
They were young (college age) lean and fit on carbon bikes. The girl was pulling the whole way. And the guy kept looking back to see if they had dropped me. I'm pretty sure they couldn't believe an old guy with a pot belly on a steel bike could keep up with them. Also they were completely kitted and I was wearing a sport shirt over a long sleeve sport shirt. Had I been on one of my other Ironman that have aerobars, I might gotten away initially.
They really were cyclist, shaved legs, smooth pedaling and the like. And I'm not, I'm a Triathlete and out of shape as well. Only residual fitness and them two at the end of possibly a long ride allowed me to stay with them. But then again it could be that I was on my IRONMAN.
I had a similar experience Sunday. I was taking it pretty easy, mostly riding to keep my heart rate around 140-150, and averaging around 15 mph. About 10 miles from home I noticed a fellow in my mirror gradually catching up. I slowed to let him pass as quickly as possible. We exchanged greetings as he passed.

Then I had to keep slowing down to avoid passing him again.

He had that psychological competitiveness burst when he was behind me, but faded after expending energy to catch and pass me. Then he couldn't sustain it.

But I was planning only an easy ride Sunday anyway, so I just coasted down hills and soft-pedaled the remaining climbs headed home. My Strava segment times were a little faster than his, even though he'd passed me and remained 50-100 yards ahead.

Kinda reminded me of how some pros describe riding against Chris Froome. They'll pass him early, thinking they've dropped him. Then near the end of the race they'll check over their shoulders and Froome is quietly, effortlessly closing the gap, wearing them down psychologically.

LeMond had a similar tactic, but more aggressive. He'd sprint to pass or open a gap, then ease up and let the other guy pass. Then pass him again. And again. Gradually breaking them down psychologically. LeMond wasn't a strong final sprinter, so he wore them down physically and mentally to drain opponents so they had nothing left for a final sprint. That tactic probably wouldn't work as well nowadays, with leadout trains so well organized to support the designated finisher. But LeMond rarely had that kind of support.

One thing I like about keeping my Ironman stock is the clicky index shifting. I like to imagine the guy ahead hears my on an old school steel bike, clicking away on the downtube shifters, wondering why I'm still there.

The Trekenstein is even better for that. The downtube shifter resonate like a percussion instrument through those fat carbon tubes. That's why I named it the Noisy Cricket, even though I later switched to MicroShift integrated brake/shifters, which were much quieter. But I'm thinking of putting the original downtube shifters back on after the Chris King headset is rebuilt.
Old 04-07-20, 07:32 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
LeMond had a similar tactic, but more aggressive. He'd sprint to pass or open a gap, then ease up and let the other guy pass. Then pass him again. And again. Gradually breaking them down psychologically.
That would work, as long as the "other guy" isn't actually doing the same thing, simply a half-cycle out of phase. Maybe every time you're passing the other guy, it's because he's letting you, and planning on sprinting past you just to let you pass him again. So it becomes an even-handed psychological exchange, and may just boil down to timing, who is in which phase approaching the finish. I wonder if any of his competitors actually considered that.

One thing I like about keeping my Ironman stock is the clicky index shifting. I like to imagine the guy ahead hears my on an old school steel bike, clicking away on the downtube shifters, wondering why I'm still there.
Okay good, I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of the "tink" of an indexed downtube shifter on a steel frame. Sounds a bit flat on my IM, actually. I just picked up an '89 Schwinn Circuit with that goofy Sante gruppo, and it's a little more resonant. And for some reason, my '89 Fuji Del Rey, with rather middling Suntour bits, really belts it out; my wife can hear it from half a block away.
Old 04-07-20, 09:08 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by madpogue
That would work, as long as the "other guy" isn't actually doing the same thing, simply a half-cycle out of phase. Maybe every time you're passing the other guy, it's because he's letting you, and planning on sprinting past you just to let you pass him again. So it becomes an even-handed psychological exchange, and may just boil down to timing, who is in which phase approaching the finish. I wonder if any of his competitors actually considered that.

Okay good, I'm not the only one who gets a kick out of the "tink" of an indexed downtube shifter on a steel frame. Sounds a bit flat on my IM, actually. I just picked up an '89 Schwinn Circuit with that goofy Sante gruppo, and it's a little more resonant. And for some reason, my '89 Fuji Del Rey, with rather middling Suntour bits, really belts it out; my wife can hear it from half a block away.
yeah I absolutely love the click of downtube index shifters .
Old 04-07-20, 09:16 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Well since we are talking about our corona rides I've been out the last 3 days for a total of 110 miles. Today I was kinda tired and didn't get out until it was nice and warm. My Garmin said it was 90 degrees. I wasn't really enjoying it like I have the last two days. About 10 miles from home I came upon a trucker that was having a worse day than I was. He had a mechanic truck there and they had belts idler pulleys tools etc laying beside the truck, It was about 4:30 and they had obviously been there awhile. I rode by then had a thought. I called my wife and ask her to go to our local fast food Mexican place and get them something. Then I rode back and told them she would be there in a few minutes with supper. They were about done but waited for her a few minutes. She said they had big smiles when she gave them the burritos. That made the rest of my ride pretty good.
Likes For TXsailor:
Old 04-07-20, 09:52 PM
valve_timing

Originally Posted by madpogue

yeah I absolutely love the click of downtube index shifters .
Old 04-08-20, 10:40 AM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

n0d5223 is the serial
That is such a beautiful color. 60cm huh? Do i need another IM?

N0D5223
N0D5036
these are pretty close together , with TMar's deciphering its a late feb 1990 build
Old 04-08-20, 10:59 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I finally hit the wall with my Ironman frame touch-up project. My initial goal was to get it looking OK from 10 feet - I told myself not to go totally anal on the project. Just get it ready to ride. Yeah . . . right! After about a month of mixing paint, I feel I got the color at about 98% - you can tell the spots when you’re at 2 feet. Every time I did a spot, my wet sanding (800 grit) would take it down to the primer. I tried airbrushing, but my skills were suspect, at best. Eventually, I returned to the airbrush and got a much better result. I haven’t been able to get out and find the appropriate color to mix for the yellow, yet, but that will be less of a hassle. I just needed to get this bike put together! Today, I installed the bottom bracket, the headset, the brakes, rear axle stops, and handlebars. The cables and housing should be here tomorrow (white braided). I’ll start out with the white saddle and maybe switch to the yellow one once I figure out how to get the leather to wrap around the difficult curves. Bar tape will be yellow/gold. I will likely go back and retouch a few spots, but for now, I just want to get out and ride!

Old 04-08-20, 11:12 AM
texaspandj

N0D5223
N0D5036
these are pretty close together , with TMar's deciphering its a late feb 1990 build
By my calculations, you already have Mike Piggs Pro Custom Ironman and Dave Scott's Pto Custom Carbon Ironman. That's two of the best triathletes to ever compete in triathlons.
Might as well get the rarest color scheme.
Old 04-08-20, 11:19 AM
valve_timing

N0D5223
N0D5036
do you have a 58cm by chance ? If so I’d love to swap frame only .
Old 04-08-20, 12:22 PM
fleslider 

do you have a 58cm by chance ? If so I’d love to swap frame only .
The only 58 i have is a 1985 Ironman. might have a line on a 87 MV ironman.

I would prefer to keep the 89 master original.
Old 04-08-20, 12:42 PM
valve_timing

Gotcha well if you have a 58 master I’ll trade ya straight up lemme know I’m in Dayton Ohio
Old 04-08-20, 06:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Originally Posted by TXsailor
Well since we are talking about our corona rides I've been out the last 3 days for a total of 110 miles. Today I was kinda tired and didn't get out until it was nice and warm. My Garmin said it was 90 degrees. I wasn't really enjoying it like I have the last two days. About 10 miles from home I came upon a trucker that was having a worse day than I was. He had a mechanic truck there and they had belts idler pulleys tools etc laying beside the truck, It was about 4:30 and they had obviously been there awhile. I rode by then had a thought. I called my wife and ask her to go to our local fast food Mexican place and get them something. Then I rode back and told them she would be there in a few minutes with supper. They were about done but waited for her a few minutes. She said they had big smiles when she gave them the burritos. That made the rest of my ride pretty good.
Not all heroes wear capes.

But they do wear tights.
Old 04-08-20, 07:01 PM
N2motorsports

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 16 Posts
Does anyone know what the handlebar clamp size is for our quill stems? Currently, it has a 90mm length, I would like a 80mm that I found locally, but not sure what the correct clamp size is... options are 22, 25, 26, 31?
oh, mandatory pic...no rain stopping me

Old 04-08-20, 08:19 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
25.4 handle bar dia . on my 86' IM . But that could be not good info for you . Over the yrs. I have relied on a inexpensive electronic caliper , I still buy stuff the wrong size . Dam you Jack Daniels .
Old 04-08-20, 09:35 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
Ya. The Nitto 115 is 25.4 but you can shim it and use a 26mm stem. I use a shim on my 86 to use my Nitto Dynamic 11 which is 26mm.

And more pictures? I've struggled with this decision for months--upgrade my brakes? Ride an IM without BioPace? I put some Dura holders on my Classic but they looked wrong and made the calipers head upwards too much for me. Then I put on some Ultegra dual pivots and the Gran Comp levers didn't pop back being springless. So I put on some late model Gran Comps which are much better with the newer brakes. Now without the bronze finish on the levers and brakes, the bronze BioPace chain rings had to go. I went whole hog and put on my TA crankset with a normal 39/53.

Proper place for Dura holders

Placeholders for SLR

Pretty Crankset

Is 10 speed next?

Last edited by Classtime; 04-08-20 at 09:55 PM.
Likes For Classtime:
Old 04-09-20, 10:57 AM
fleslider 

Good Day to the IronGents and Ironladies, i figured i would post a note to say that I have just posted a new scan of the 1987 Catalog. its a higher resolution scan so now you can read the text and spec sheet.

Centurion Catalogs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.