Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Can a Dahon Speed still fold if I convert it to drop-bars?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 09:51 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

I like drop-handlebars, to the point of not wanting to spend money/time on bicycle ownership that doesn't involve them. Does this preclude me from enjoying the Dahon Speed frame of folding bicycle?
Old 03-15-20, 10:38 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
There are to many variable to answer your question. Width, drop, brakes used and a few others. I am afraid you will need to try and see if it works. Roger
Old 03-15-20, 10:48 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
I like drop-handlebars, to the point of not wanting to spend money/time on bicycle ownership that doesn't involve them. Does this preclude me from enjoying the Dahon Speed frame of folding bicycle?
I am right there with ya. I haven't done the conversion to drops on my folder just yet, but that is on my agenda. I have nerve issues with my hands and the straight bars are hard for me to move my hands around enough to keep on top of their function. I'd say that is a pretty common thing with cyclists - hands going numb, circulation issues, etc. My big bike (Disk Trucker) has drops and they help a lot by giving me multiple hand positions and posture positions to work with.

That having been said, I am not concerned about what folding challenges I may face. The benefit to my riding will far out weigh any folding challenges for me.

However -

I do not expect the bike to fold well without the bars removed as the mast and bar collapse on my bike inside (between the folded frame and wheels). Drop bars would not allow that folding to happen. So I anticipate needing to remove the bars.

Your situation may be different, however I am not in an environment where I need to hop on public transportation on a routine basis and the foldability of the bike would be imperative to efficiency in a daily commute, for example. So what ever the challenges may be in my case I don't have any additional environmental/transportation efficiency constraints that govern what I do. The only one that is a consideration for me is collapsed size. So by having bars external to the folded package that does increase the folded package, obviously. I suppose if that ends up being a big enough consideration at any point in time I can convert back to straight bars for the duration. Otherwise I'll just deal with it.
Old 03-15-20, 01:26 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Once upon a time, it existed. Example 1, Example 2.

Old 03-15-20, 01:48 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 73 Posts
Those Dahons have the stem post folding to the outside, whereas I think most Dahons now fold to the inside (at least my Speed does). You can get aftermarket posts that fold either way.
Old 03-15-20, 03:51 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
I did a mock up with my 2016 Boardwalk but did not like the loss of compactness.(inside fold)

Old 03-15-20, 06:52 PM
mikedk13

Bikes: '21 Trek Domane AL3, '18 Trek FX2

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
I did a mock up with my 2016 Boardwalk but did not like the loss of compactness.(inside fold)
Did you happen to take a photo of it folded?
Old 03-15-20, 08:50 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

It's definitely not going to work if the stem post folds to the inside. It's very helpful to know that stem posts are available which fold to the outside!

So I think that's great! One hurtle cleared in getting the kind of folding bicycle for touring. Next is finding a way to duplicate a triple chainring crank. For use on the Speed D9 bicycle.
Old 03-16-20, 09:40 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
You could check either eBay or Alibaba to see if an outside folding stem is available. That would definitely solve the fold issue. These bikes look amazing with drop bars.
Old 03-16-20, 10:11 AM
seat_boy

FYI, I used this T handle from aliexpress that folds to the outside:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...7d584c4dcPCdXl

Then you need some clamps like this:

This configuration will let you fit a normal 31.8mm bar, and adjust the bar height and reach pretty easily. I found the fold to the outside a little easier to deal with than the stock fold, though not quite as small.

I didn't use this for drop bars, but I think it would still work.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 03-16-20, 10:39 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
I put on drop-down on a TT post... it folds on the chainring/outer side - original post folded on the inner side. It does work well but once folded, the dropped handle and brake take more room making the device less compact which is not an issue for me. (not worse the a verge x18)

Some conversions use quick release adaptor and bullhorn handle so that is can be flattened when folded like the latest dahon speed pro tt
Old 03-16-20, 10:44 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy

This configuration will let you fit a normal 31.8mm bar, and adjust the bar height and reach pretty easily. I found the fold to the outside a little easier to deal with than the stock fold, though not quite as small.

I need that handlebar that has the outside fold myself. Thanks!!!
Old 03-16-20, 10:55 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,068 Times in 636 Posts
Originally Posted by mikedk13
Did you happen to take a photo of it folded?
No, sorry about that! Once I did a trail fold and found out the results I stoped thinking permanent change. I like the straight bars too. For a 20” wheeled dropbar bike, I have decided to get a Nano mini velo when they come back.
Old 03-16-20, 11:40 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by seat_boy

Do you have any pictures?

Why not use a mast that has a clamp on the top instead of a T handle? I assume the clamps are 25.4mm? That would give you both options I would think - either normal bars or stock straight bars.
Old 03-16-20, 01:09 PM
seat_boy

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it folded, but here's what it looked like assembled:

I've since sold my Dahon, so I'm not able to take a picture of it folded.
Likes For seat_boy:
Old 04-09-20, 07:54 AM
h88711

Bikes: 65 Moulton, 84 Colnago Master, 92 Mondia Winner, 04 Dahon Speed TR, 2010 Specialized Tricross

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What like this...

Here's my very old much modified Speed TR in its latest incarnation,,, the high speed folding racer ...
Originally bought as a general purpose multiperson runabout that could also be dumped in the back of a MINI, it has evolved into my going-on-the-train-to-work-in winter bike.
Small, light easy to get on or over with narrow race bars.
Frame, wheels, seatpost and steering post are all original Speed TR

Brifters are 9x3 speed Ultegra, the LHD shifter matches perfectly to the SRAM Dualdrive. Note the original folding stem.
Short V-brakes were fitted to be compatible with the Brifters.

The Truvative brand bottom bracket and cranks were replaced with modern lightweight SRAM Rival crankset. Chain ring and protector were carried over.
Metal folding pedals with built in reflectors had replaced the plastic folders many years back.
At the back, the SRAM changer was replaced with a 105 10spd for compatibilty with the Brifters. The SRAM 7-speed block was replaced with a tighter 9 speed Shimano cluster.
Only 8 cogs cos 9 wouldn't fit. It's important to use the correct spacers from the 9-speed block to ensure smooth shifting..

Schwalbe Supremos replaced the Big Apples that I'd had on for years. These really are a supreme mixture of light weight and sufficient robustness in a narrow tyre. Sadly no longer avaiable I believe.
The Dahon quick release was replaced by a shortened Lite Axle.

Here is almost the latest incarnation: missing is the rear mudguard integrated into the carrier. Which could be a child's Pletscher with custom made front stays rescued from the otherwise useless Dahon item.
The compact Procraft race handlebars are just 38cm wide, which can take some getting used to. The drops have had a couple of cm lopped off. They only really serve to anchor the bike to handrails in the trains.
The saddle was replaced with a lightweight Bontrager race item more compatible with my backside. Also fitted is a small Sideswipe bottle cage to the fixed to mounts I discovered under all the cables.
And finally the plastic holder for an ABUS Bordo, the best neatest folding lock, was clamped to the side of the frame,.

Since the bike would mainly be used in the Winter months a fixed lighting system from REElight was tried out. You can just see two magnets on the rear wheel. The rear light was replaced with a much flatter B&M version ( I don't like things sticking out beyond the wheels). The front light is original REElight and pretty pathetic. Modern rechargeables are probaly the way to go these days,

So there you have it . I think it rides really well for such a small wheeled bike, the shifters are really smooth and the Dual Drive is perfect for a small wheeler. Occaisionally I run out of gears on the flat or downhill, but the having the lower ranges more than makes up for this on the uphill bits.
On my 26km run home its slower than my full fat racers but comfortable.
And does it fold?... well it still goes in the back of my MINI

Thanks for looking
Andrew
Likes For h88711:
Old 04-13-20, 12:31 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
[QUOTE=h88711;21408874]Here's my very old much modified Speed TR in its latest incarnation,,, the high speed folding racer ...
Originally bought as a general purpose multiperson runabout that could also be dumped in the back of a MINI, it has evolved into my going-on-the-train-to-work-in winter bike.
Small, light easy to get on or over with narrow race bars.
Frame, wheels, seatpost and steering post are all original Speed TR

/QUOTE]

that,s pretty much I did with the Helios last month after 10 years in storage... but i’m 7x2 gears (for now) the drop make the ride so much faster as you can apply more load on the pedal and get less wind resistance.

Likes For Fentuz:
Old 04-26-20, 03:51 PM
bhkyte

Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I found dropped bars don't fold well. I went with upside down cut down drops . You get the hood and dropped position of drops, but not the top bars.
thus tends to fold really well. The Brompton folds as compact. The mezzo is about 3 inches wider. I could add a folding stage and get the mezzo flat but it's ok as it is.
I didn't like the SpeedTT bars position. I didn't feel safe at all.

on the mezzo I turned the drops through 90 degrees to make more compact drops, with less forward reach, than on the other two
Likes For bhkyte:
Old 04-03-21, 11:38 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

My opinion on fold direction with drop-bars has changed.
I now use/advocate an inside-fold for drop-bars. It can
in fact give a very compact fold, if you first pull the seatpost
out of the bicycle before folding. After folding, I replace
the seatpost and then rotate it sideways so that it fits low,
between everything. The sideways-oriented seat has an added
benefit of providing a nice handle, for when I'm rolling
the bicycle in folded-mode.

Some info on my setup in the photos:

Dahon Speed D9.
21.5cm inside-folding handlepost, one-piece, with two bolts to hold the clamp.
(that's very low, typically slammed for someone who sets their
seatpost at '15', but I believe that a taller setup can fit by merely adjusting
the fold of the handlepost. "Your mileage may vary", as they say).
36cm bars with 140mm drop, 85mm reach. 26mm clamp size.
SKS fenders, P53 model, for good coverage of
the Schwalbe Big Apple tires.

Last edited by Nyah; 04-04-21 at 12:21 AM.