Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

First time renting

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

First time renting

Old 04-28-21, 10:13 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
First time renting

I am renting a ride for the first time. hope this goes well. will be riding in flat land Florida. this will also be my first time riding a carbon frame. will be interesting to feel the diff between my alum ride. hoping to see some gators in the Everglades.
Old 04-28-21, 10:57 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I just had a great rental experience out in California. Suggestions: measure your BB to seat height and take the tape with you. consider taking your lights. Next time - definitely - I am going to take my saddle and seat tube to swap in. First day was a 70miler and I kept saying "this is definitely not my seat. this is definitely not my seat...."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-28-21, 11:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
Just like steel, aluminum and other types of bikes, one bike doesn't define the ride qualities for another frame of the same material. All it tells you is what that particular model rides like.

Remember those gators can run as fast as a horse for a short distance. Don't be trying to get selfies with them close up.
Old 04-28-21, 01:09 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Good tip on the seat, i'll add that to my "bring list."

i don't know what to expect w/ regards to carbon. just that it is my first time riding it. now i won't expect any major differences in feel.
Old 04-28-21, 02:23 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
If the rental does not come with a spare tube, tire levers and a pump or CO2 bring your own. Also find out if it has a bottle cage or two. If you are wearing your cycling shoes see if their pedals are compatible. Check your insurance and bring a big machete to keep the alligators at bay

Last edited by ARider2; 04-28-21 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Bb
Likes For ARider2:
Old 04-28-21, 06:50 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
+1 to the above suggestions of bringing, as much as possible, all your own contact points and roadside repair equipment. Last time I rented I even brought my own stem just in case I had fit problems (I didn't, but better to have and not need...) It sure would suck to get a mechanical 2 hours from base in a far-off land, only to find the multi-tool they supplied you with lacks a chain-breaker/torx/10mm allen/whatever.
Old 04-29-21, 04:37 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I've done many rentals in cities for day rides - 90% good experiences just using the bike without bringing anything. That 1 time out of 10 is usually a slow leak in a tire that they didn't noticed when the last person checked the bike in. So, I always ask them to check tire pressure even for those short rentals.

I did the Seattle to Portland 2 day ride a few years ago and rented an aluminum Fuji road bike (my road bike at home is a carbon Trek Domane.) I brought my seat and shoes and Wahoo Elemnt, it came with SPD SL pedals. I had my bottom bracket to seat and seat to bars measurements with me and adjusted to match. I really couldn't tell that much difference in the feel of carbon vs. aluminum. That bike rental worked out great - the bike was even delivered to my hotel by a guy riding a bike pulling a trailer with my bike on it!