Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fork Lifespan?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Carbon Fork Lifespan?

Old 10-31-22, 03:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My bike passes every ride. Inspection does nothing to increase the inherent durability of something. F1 cars crash, rocks hit them, and certain structures deal with a little bit of heat. Part of my bmw's structure is carbon fibre and it should outlive me.

I could be wrong but I doubt any commercial aircraft has its fuselage checked for cracks every 100 hours. Not even the new Marine One gets that treatment.
I don't know about that, but I did see on Top Gear some time back (of The Grand Tour), where Richard Hammond's CF-bodied Ferrari suffered considerable... erosion from being driven at high speed on unswept tarmac covered in loose stones.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-31-22, 05:38 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Those masts are subjected to zero stress, and speed while traveling through space is irrelevant.
Originally Posted by genejockey
Also, moving at a constant speed in zero G, so there's little if any force in any direction on them.
...until you collide with a micrometeor travelling at any speed in any other direction.
Old 10-31-22, 05:45 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I don't know about that, but I did see on Top Gear some time back (of The Grand Tour), where Richard Hammond's CF-bodied Ferrari suffered considerable... erosion from being driven at high speed on unswept tarmac covered in loose stones.
I miss that show. Thanks to the woke morons, it is gone.

I've only had one serious failure, it was aluminum. I was hurt. Bad. Very bad. I've ridden carbon frames since December of 1985. I can only say it does not scare me.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-31-22, 05:46 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
...until you collide with a micrometeor travelling at any speed in any other direction.
What does getting hit by a meteor have to do with the longevity of carbon fiber?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-31-22, 06:00 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

What does getting hit by a meteor have to do with the longevity of carbon fiber?
Ask the dinosaurs.

Old 10-31-22, 06:14 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Apparently this thread has just become a statistic in the Two Decades Of Progress In Math And Reading thread.
Likes For Bob Ross:
Old 10-31-22, 06:17 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Apparently this thread has just become a statistic in the Two Decades Of Progress In Math And Reading thread.
???
Old 10-31-22, 07:12 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,177 Times in 2,222 Posts
F1 cars have to last only one season, and commercial aircraft must pass inspection every 100 hours.

Not accurate.

Part 91 aircraft used for hire require a 100 hour inspection. Example: cessna 172 used for flight instruction. I can assure you that the mechanic is not checking for micro cracks on every square inch of the airframe.

Airlines go by cycles. Every part has to be inspected at a certain amount of cycles, and each part has a different cycle requirement, and it varies for each airframe.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 11-01-22, 06:14 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
My bike passes every ride. Inspection does nothing to increase the inherent durability of something.
Well, from what I read, CF bits will become progressively more flexible before they are at risk of, essentially, fatigue failure.

Which is good news, it won't just "fail riding along".
​​​​​​
Old 11-01-22, 06:42 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2477 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
Well, from what I read, CF bits will become progressively more flexible before they are at risk of, essentially, fatigue failure.

​​​​​​
Where did you read that? Haven't come across that sort of claim for many years, and never about carbon fiber. Perhaps it's an updating of the bike racer folk wisdom that steel frames become softer with accumulated mileage. (They don't.)
Old 11-01-22, 07:00 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 185 Posts
What should I replace my 18 year old cf fork with?

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 11-01-22, 07:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
What should I replace my 18 year old cf fork with?

If it's undamaged, keep it. If you think it's damaged, get a new CF fork.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-01-22, 08:07 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 2,981 Posts

​​​​​​
I suppose theoretically CF parts could become more flexible as the resin ages, but in practice I don't believe there is much evidence to suggest that they actually do. So I really wouldn't worry about this particular aspect of CF.
IME of using CF in motorsport, any failure is far more likely to be due to impact damage, inappropriate loading or some kind of design/production issue.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-01-22, 08:19 AM
Branko D

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Where did you read that? Haven't come across that sort of claim for many years, and never about carbon fiber. Perhaps it's an updating of the bike racer folk wisdom that steel frames become softer with accumulated mileage. (They don't.)
​​​​​
https://www.academia.edu/30520244/Fa..._Bicycle_Forks

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...9/#!po=24.5763

And so on and on.

​​​​​​
Old 11-01-22, 09:44 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
From the abstract of the first paper you cited: "This paper presents the results of fatigue and impact testing on bicycle forks that are known to have quality-related manufacturing defects."

So, they started with cf forks that were defective, and measured their responses to stress cycles. Does not seem relevant.

The second paper is not about bike forks specifically and includes much terminology that is unfamiliar to me -- so I don't know whether it's relevant.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-01-22, 10:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
More importantly, have the baby bolts showed up yet? Are they still missing?
Old 11-01-22, 10:10 AM
Branko D

Well, some forks in the first paper lasted for a lot of cycles and some didn't, depending on the kind of manufacturing defect (which, you know, are present on most forks, it's just a question of how many and how significant, and they hugely impact fatigue life), which all exhibited a gradual loss of stiffness before fatigue failure, as you would expect.

The other is just about generic fatigue modelling of composites. The earliest reference on residual stiffness dates from 1975. It is not exactly news. You can read a heap of the stuff if you like.

Before metal lovers latch on, I've just recently read a paper about fatigue modelling and testing on a steel bicycle frame and it of course died to fatigue, and depending on pedalling forces and their angle, in significantly less cycles than a quality made CF fork would.

If you ride lots and lots of miles for many years, one day you will have to replace your bike. I wouldn't have thought that this would be so controversial.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 11-01-22, 10:11 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by himespau
More importantly, have the baby bolts showed up yet? Are they still missing?
Stollen

Sadly, the original Baby Bike Bolts thread is locked so you have to look for it.
Old 11-01-22, 10:37 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Well, some forks in the first paper lasted for a lot of cycles and some didn't, depending on the kind of manufacturing defect (which, you know, are present on most forks, it's just a question of how many and how significant, and they hugely impact fatigue life), which all exhibited a gradual loss of stiffness before fatigue failure, as you would expect.

The other is just about generic fatigue modelling of composites. The earliest reference on residual stiffness dates from 1975. It is not exactly news. You can read a heap of the stuff if you like.

Before metal lovers latch on, I've just recently read a paper about fatigue modelling and testing on a steel bicycle frame and it of course died to fatigue, and depending on pedalling forces and their angle, in significantly less cycles than a quality made CF fork would.

If you ride lots and lots of miles for many years, one day you will have to replace your bike. I wouldn't have thought that this would be so controversial.
Solution: multiple bikes, so each one accumulates wear more slowly. And my wife thinks I'm crazy to have 10 bikes.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-01-22, 10:47 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Try to destroy a carbon fork

You may be shocked at how strong the thing is. I did this to a fork after an accident. Banging with a sledgehammer left only a scratch. Trying to compress the legs in a vice (got scary after reducing span by 1/2 with no cracking sounds - released and was fine). Cut with a hacksaw and even with a 1/3 cross section cut I couldn’t beak it apart by bending on my knee. I believe carbon forks are ridiculously strong (at least those that pass testing requirements). I have no worries about a carbon fork disintegrating or weakening over time from normal use. With normal use it should last a lifetime or three
Likes For Symox:
Old 11-01-22, 10:53 AM
Branko D

Solution: multiple bikes, so each one accumulates wear more slowly. And my wife thinks I'm crazy to have 10 bikes.
N+1 is always the right answer
Old 11-01-22, 10:57 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
In the middle of the pandemic, as we were driving home one day, I was telling my wife about the bike supply chain problems. As we pulled into the garage, I waved a hand at my five bikes, and said, "I'm pretty smart to have stocked up, aren't I?" Her agreement was a bit less than wholehearted.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-01-22, 11:05 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Stollen

Sadly, the original Baby Bike Bolts thread is locked so you have to look for it.
Man, it's been a while since I've had some good stollen.
Likes For himespau:
Old 11-01-22, 11:12 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I suspect the folks that suggest a new fork every 5 years are the ones who sell forks. Kinda like the helmet manufacturers saying you need a new helmet every 3 years.
I don't see these as comparable. Helmets aren't load-bearing items; are intentionally designed to be replaced; and aren't made with carbon fiber Helmets are consumables, forks are durables.

If a bike manufacturer told you that you had to replace their frame every 5 years, do you think those frames would sell well...?
Likes For Bacciagalupe:
Old 11-01-22, 11:15 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
I don't see these as comparable. Helmets aren't load-bearing items; are intentionally designed to be replaced; and aren't made with carbon fiber Helmets are consumables, forks are durables.

If a bike manufacturer told you that you had to replace their frame every 5 years, do you think those frames would sell well...?
I was trying to find a rational reason why a company would say replace the fork every 5 years and ongoing sales is the only reason I can think of.

The helmet analogy is not perfect, and belongs in a different thread, but clearly a helmet that has been cared for and not crashed does not need to be replaced either.
Likes For datlas:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.