Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano RD-4601 poor shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-22, 07:32 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts

I have a Shimano Tiagra RD-4601 with the Tiagra 12-28 cassette on a used bike.

The rear derailleur was knocking the spokes ever so slightly when I hopped on it and in the largest cog. I figured I'd just readjust the L limit screw and be good to go - not so much. I've gone through the ParkTools adjustment video, made sure everything is shifting nicely on the stand but when I ride the bike I run into issues.

I can shift up the cogs without issue, however when down shifting large to smallest I can't seem to get it to shift into the second smallest cog. Going up is no problem, no excess noise, shifting is relatively crisp.

If I adjust the barrel adjustment to get the downshifting working when going small to large isn't crisp and doesn't shift well.

Again in the stand it works great, riding on the road is where I have issues. That said, at least my original issue of the RD knocking the spokes is fixed.

For reference I'm using a full Tiagra 4600 groupset and shifters.
Old 08-20-22, 07:35 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
If the RD was touching spokes, the hanger is almost certainly bent.
you’re going to need the hanger realigned.
Be warned, the hanger may break during alignment. Having a spare is a good idea.

Barry
Likes For Barry2:
Old 08-20-22, 07:41 AM
Tango1

Bikes: Dawes Super Galaxy, Cannondale Trail 3SL, Gardin TNT, Kuwahara Gravel Resto-Mod

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry2
If the RD was touching spokes, the hanger is almost certainly bent.
you’re going to need the hanger realigned.
Be warned, the hanger may break during alignment. Having a spare is a good idea.

Barry
Wish I had a seperate hanger but unfortunately it's all one piece on the dropout.
Old 08-20-22, 08:30 AM
ARider2

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I suspect your shifter cable is sticking. You can usually feel a little drag on it which indicates there is corrosion. If this is the problem then lubing the cable can help but best to replace the inner cable and housing.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 08-20-22, 01:04 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Hanger and or cage is bent, and cable friction is a tad high, I'd look at the wear level on the drivetrain and the shifter action as well.
Old 08-20-22, 03:07 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by Tango1
Wish I had a seperate hanger but unfortunately it's all one piece on the dropout.
A steel hanger can be aligned.
Unlike aluminum hangers, steel bends well and can be welded if it should break.

Barry
Likes For Barry2: