Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

650b tubeless wheelset

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

650b tubeless wheelset

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-23, 09:27 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
650b tubeless wheelset

We took our '08 CoMotion Speedster to the bike shop to get an estimate on changing it to more of a multi-use bike: some gravel, some pavement. The wheel build alone came out to be more than the bike is worth IMO. Does anyone know a pre-built tubeless wheelset for use on a tandem? I went with a prebuilt tubeless set for my single gravel bike from velomine and it's worked perfectly without the boutique build cost. I'm likely going to have to replace the caliper brakes, maybe the fork too. The rear is already using a disk brake.
Old 03-16-23, 01:31 PM
TobyGadd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Wheelsets always seem to be pretty expensive compared to buying a complete bike. While it's possible to find some decent deals for pre-built single-bike wheelsets, tandem wheels are harder to find. Depending on the weight of your team, you might be able to get away with some tough single-bike wheels made for touring for a decent price--if you're willing to hunt around and wait for sales.

All of that said, I've purchased a few custom wheelsets over the years from Universal Cycles. Since you can specify pretty much any combination of hub, rim, and spokes, you can tightly control the final price. Universal Cycles -- Custom Wheelset Builder. I've been happy with the quality and durability of their wheels.
Old 03-17-23, 08:36 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
We took our '08 CoMotion Speedster to the bike shop to get an estimate on changing it to more of a multi-use bike: some gravel, some pavement. The wheel build alone came out to be more than the bike is worth IMO. Does anyone know a pre-built tubeless wheelset for use on a tandem? I went with a prebuilt tubeless set for my single gravel bike from velomine and it's worked perfectly without the boutique build cost. I'm likely going to have to replace the caliper brakes, maybe the fork too. The rear is already using a disk brake.
Have you checked with Velocity Wheels? they have the options for pre-built wheels at a pretty reasonable cost of $573.00 for the pair.
Old 03-17-23, 05:10 PM
ahultin

Bikes: 2003 Cannondale Jekyll 1000, 2014 Fuji Finest 1.5 (wife), 2008 Fuji Finest 1.0 (Daughter), 2012 Fuji Cross 2.0 (son), 2011 Cannondale Road Tandem 2

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Assuming you are running 145oln, the velocity set is likely cheapest and you could spec the cliffhanger which is tubeless ready at 573 fir the pair. Next stepup, Astral outback with white xmr hubs would be around 1200