Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

When You're Not Buying More Bikes....

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-23, 03:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,894 Times in 6,093 Posts

I haven't wanted to get another bike in over a year. I'm so content with my collection that I haven't found myself poring over Craigslist looking for the next victim. Instead, I find myself in the "incremental improvement" stage with my bikes.

Two years ago I picked up a 1982 Lotus Supreme, after seeing another forum member's posts about the one he'd just gotten. His looked nearly new. Mine? Not so much....

I spent a lot of time, and probably too much money, getting it back on the road. I named it "Mrs. Peel", because Mrs. Peel on "The Avengers" drove a Lotus, and also because of all the paint chips. I replaced the Dia Compe aero levers with the correct Dura Ace EX brake levers, but I couldn't find original hoods, so I went with modern Dia Compes. And since the saddle was black, I used black bar tape.

Sweet bike! Eventually, though, I was able to find a picture from a 1982 Lotus ad for this bike. It had a brown suede Kashimax Aero saddle, and instead of bar tape, the bars had sewn-on leather wrap. I HAD TO try that! So I got a kit from Velobitz, and went to work. That looked so good, I got a new Concor saddle in brown leather. Beautiful! The only problem was those ugly gray-brown Dia Comp hoods didn't match the bar wrap or the saddle. So searched Ebay and I found some NOS hoods!! I WAY overpaid for them. Then I sat and waited for them to arrive, hoping they wouldn't be either crunchy or sticky. Turns out, they were just like new! Not sticky at all, soft, pliable, and easy to get on the levers.

Now I just have to wait for it to stop raining and dry out!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 03-18-23, 04:02 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 644 Posts
sweet bike with first generation dura ace
Likes For georges1:
Old 03-18-23, 04:23 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Love the work you did with the bar wrap. Must feel great under your hands
Old 03-18-23, 04:31 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,761 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I haven't wanted to get another bike in over a year. I'm so content with my collection that I haven't found myself poring over Craigslist looking for the next victim. Instead, I find myself in the "incremental improvement" stage with my bikes.

Two years ago I picked up a 1982 Lotus Supreme, after seeing another forum member's posts about the one he'd just gotten. His looked nearly new. Mine? Not so much....

I spent a lot of time, and probably too much money, getting it back on the road. I named it "Mrs. Peel", because Mrs. Peel on "The Avengers" drove a Lotus, and also because of all the paint chips. I replaced the Dia Compe aero levers with the correct Dura Ace EX brake levers, but I couldn't find original hoods, so I went with modern Dia Compes. And since the saddle was black, I used black bar tape.

Sweet bike! Eventually, though, I was able to find a picture from a 1982 Lotus ad for this bike. It had a brown suede Kashimax Aero saddle, and instead of bar tape, the bars had sewn-on leather wrap. I HAD TO try that! So I got a kit from Velobitz, and went to work. That looked so good, I got a new Concor saddle in brown leather. Beautiful! The only problem was those ugly gray-brown Dia Comp hoods didn't match the bar wrap or the saddle. So searched Ebay and I found some NOS hoods!! I WAY overpaid for them. Then I sat and waited for them to arrive, hoping they wouldn't be either crunchy or sticky. Turns out, they were just like new! Not sticky at all, soft, pliable, and easy to get on the levers.

Now I just have to wait for it to stop raining and dry out!
Great looking work to to let you know the originals were faux leather lace up pull overs not real leather lace OEM pretty much unitaniam unless you can find a nice full set off a doner bike or pay a silly high price on ebay.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 03-18-23, 04:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by alcjphil
Love the work you did with the bar wrap. Must feel great under your hands
I wish I knew! It hasn't been dry enough to ride since I put them on!

Old 03-18-23, 07:34 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts

I haven't wanted to get another bike in over a year. I'm so content with my collection that I haven't found myself poring over Craigslist looking for the next victim.

Instead, I find myself in the "incremental improvement" stage with my bikes.
That's how I roll these days

Tho I will admit to being constantly on the lookout for spares (in case of accidents or natural, built-in failures), consumables, and 'smalls' - which of course are the tiny bits which unscrew themselves at the most inopportune time while out on the road, and become lost to the wilderness.

Bought my last bike in 2019, and don't intend to ever buy another.

With that, I'm certain @gugie will no longer be talking to me

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 03-18-23, 08:18 PM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 449 Posts
Primary Sourcing

Snipped from Here.
Likes For machinist42:
Old 03-18-23, 10:05 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by machinist42

Snipped from Here.
Yep, that's where I found out about the leather wrap.

Old 03-18-23, 10:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
I haven't wanted to get another bike in over a year.
You must be joking.

I call BS.
Likes For merziac:
Old 03-18-23, 10:55 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
With that, I'm certain @gugie will no longer be talking to me

DD
Yer dead to me DD, dead!
Old 03-19-23, 09:23 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by merziac
You must be joking.

I call BS.
Well, okay.... To be fair, I did by 2 frames and a fork, but that's so I can remake a bike I already have as a 23", because much as I love the 22", I had to admit that it's just too small, even with a long seatpost and 135mm stem. But that's all for one bike that I already have!

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-19-23, 09:50 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa

Wow, that pink fade is catchy.
Yep, that is sort of my grail bike.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 03-19-23, 10:21 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 3,736 Times in 1,835 Posts
I would like to propose a new title

When You're Not Buying More Bikes....You're buying more bikes

I haven't wanted to get another bike in over a year.
Originally Posted by merziac
You must be joking.
Well, okay.... To be fair, I did by 2 frames and a fork, but that's so I can remake a bike I already have as a 23", because much as I love the 22", I had to admit that it's just too small, even with a long seatpost and 135mm stem. But that's all for one bike that I already have!
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 03-19-23, 10:30 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
I’ve been doing “incremental improvements” for decades. Sometimes I even “improve” my bike into something completely different This has happened multiple times as well. For example, I originally got a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro in 1999.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The frame broke in 2003 and was replaced with this frame. At that point the stem and front hub were the only part original to the bike.

I rode that bike (with more tinkering) until 2015 when I got tired of the color. I swapped to something a bit more bold. Needless to say, most all of the parts from the original had been replaced…twice!

Then a 1999 Dean popped up at Pros Closet. Time for another color change. Oddly my local co-op had some rubber donuts in different colors and they just happened to be red, blue, yellow, and green which matched the Dean decal colors. That started a whole cascade of silly changes.

I found a Dean seatpost at my co-op. I found an integrated Dean handlebar/stem at Velo Swap. I found cables and ferrules to match the Dean decals as well as chain ring bolts (and rotor bolts, although you can’t seen them). I found spoke nipples in the Dean colors.

And then I found SRAM paddles and clamps that I could use for the Dean colors. Even the valve stem covers, bar end plugs/stem cap/seatpost clamp, and headset spacers follow that scheme.

Even this picture isn’t quite up to date. The only thing stopping me from doing the Dean colors in the brakes is finding the Klampers in the proper colors and prying open my wallet for something that silly.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-19-23, 10:39 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’ve been doing “incremental improvements” for decades. Sometimes I even “improve” my bike into something completely different This has happened multiple times as well. For example, I originally got a Specialized Stumpjumper Pro in 1999.

Untitled by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The frame broke in 2003 and was replaced with this frame. At that point the stem and front hub were the only part original to the bike.

I rode that bike (with more tinkering) until 2015 when I got tired of the color. I swapped to something a bit more bold. Needless to say, most all of the parts from the original had been replaced…twice!

Then a 1999 Dean popped up at Pros Closet. Time for another color change. Oddly my local co-op had some rubber donuts in different colors and they just happened to be red, blue, yellow, and green which matched the Dean decal colors. That started a whole cascade of silly changes.

I found a Dean seatpost at my co-op. I found an integrated Dean handlebar/stem at Velo Swap. I found cables and ferrules to match the Dean decals as well as chain ring bolts (and rotor bolts, although you can’t seen them). I found spoke nipples in the Dean colors.

And then I found SRAM paddles and clamps that I could use for the Dean colors. Even the valve stem covers, bar end plugs/stem cap/seatpost clamp, and headset spacers follow that scheme.

Even this picture isn’t quite up to date. The only thing stopping me from doing the Dean colors in the brakes is finding the Klampers in the proper colors and prying open my wallet for something that silly.
The Mountain Bike of Theseus?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-19-23, 10:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by SoCaled
I would like to propose a new title

When You're Not Buying More Bikes....You're buying more bikes
But the way I see it, I'm not buying more bikes, because bikes are things with wheels and saddles and pedals and brakes and stuff. It's still just one bike, because when I get the fork from the 24" frame cut and rethreaded for the 23" frame, I'll take all the components from the 22" frame and build the 23" frame into the same bike the 22" frame used to be a part of.

Not sure what to do with the 22" frame an fork and the 24" frame, though......

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-19-23, 11:21 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

The Mountain Bike of Theseus?
Yup. Same bike.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-19-23, 11:39 AM
cyccommute 

The Touring Bike of Theseus

Started as a gray 2003 Cannondale T800 touring bike that was mostly stock on it’s first tour (2003)

Beresford SD 4 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

Some changes for the 2008 tour. I added Phil hubs and changed the stem.

My bike 12 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

2011 tour: Stem change, crank change, Paul cantilever brakes, upgrade to Ultegra shifters, wheel rebuild with DT Swiss Alpine III spokes.

2015 tour: I scored a 2010 T1 frame. Another crank, red Paul cantis, red bits, different stem and handlebar. The Brooks changed from a B17 Narrow to a B17 Special with titanium rails.

2016: No tour but flashier wheels, different stem, different crank.

2020: Different fork, different crank, leather tape.

2021 Tour: Most every thing remained the same but I got matching bags. I should find a different stuff sack for my sleeping bag. I have a different tent now which is a little less “clashy”.

Last edited by cyccommute; 03-19-23 at 11:53 AM.
Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-19-23, 12:06 PM
cyccommute 

The Commuter Bike of Thesus.

I bought this as a frame in 2006 and built it mostly from parts I had in my garage. This version had been upgraded to Phil hubs and Paul cantis.

DSCN0164 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

After 15 year and 25,000 miles of commuting and general use, I wanted a different color. As it sat in 2021

Frame change to a 2004 Cannondale T800. Not factory color but stunning anyway.

And, because I can’t leave well enough alone, orange Pauls this winter.

Likes For cyccommute: