Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Before you start another TT thread, click here.

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Before you start another TT thread, click here.

Old 01-25-22, 12:10 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,642 Posts
Separately, I went to a local coach's house last week to have him spend 90 minutes looking at my fit. He likes my saddle height, flat foot at the bottom, saddle tip 5 cm behind BB, no rocking of hips side to side, pretty still. He did put a longer stem on my bayonet 3 fork which pushed me slightly lower and a bit more stretched out. Some more upward tilted extensions too to get the praying mantis look. The new fit ain't UCI, but it's not hugely far off, and I don't think I'll be doing nats so we're all good. I'll get some photos up later.

When I'm stretched like that, it's easier since it forces my head down and I don't have to spend energy doing the turtle thing as much. I'm at a point soon where I might show up early at the track with his coaches hours and start dialing in my aero testing protocol to get reproducibility, then start actually rounding up some helmets and stuff to test.

Fun stuff. I'm not forcing it since my big TT goals are too early in the season for any of that to be implemented right away (VoS). It will be more of a continual progress type thing.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 01-25-22, 06:48 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
I run a Super 9 that I got second hand on my Speed Concept with 25 mm Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 and latex tubes, and it has been a fast and durable set up for me. I just play with the tire pressure depending on how bad the road conditions are.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 01-25-22, 07:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Supply chain speaking, my modern HED disc is due in February sometime.

This purchase was before Aerocoach did tunnel testing on combined CRR/CdA measures of tires. Whoa and behold, the clinchers I already run test faster combined CRR/CdA than the tubeless I hoped to go to for that wheel. Tubeless "might" save you in a race, but in reality if you lose 1/3 of your tire pressure it being road instead of lower pressure off-road..........you likely are slower enough your day is hosed anyway.

Soooooo, it'll be a marginal gain going to proper tire size on the new disc versus a tire that's too big right now.
Old 01-25-22, 09:41 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2602 Post(s)
Liked 3,107 Times in 1,642 Posts
Originally Posted by ntnyln
I run a Super 9 that I got second hand on my Speed Concept with 25 mm Vittoria Corsa Speed 2.0 and latex tubes, and it has been a fast and durable set up for me. I just play with the tire pressure depending on how bad the road conditions are.
This is my intended setup too. I have a 23c corsa speed in the mail to likely use whatever my front will be. which is still a work on progress. For now its a fairly narrow, ~50 mm deep rim. Leaves a lot to be desired. But I think I'll work on position and helmets for a whiie and revisit that later, maybe a used 808 or something
Old 02-06-22, 12:06 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Total spend $65. No tape or stickers. There's a Quarq under there. Ring is removable to access the Quarq.
How did I do?

Mine at $65, with power:

Cratus at estimated $2000:

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-06-22, 12:17 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-11-22, 07:59 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Windy day for testing. I assumed the Aerohead would win the day on the "who's who" of helmets testing. It was the worst! It was like 0.016 behind the Tempor. The Aeroswitch did just .007 behind the Tempor.

I hold my head such a Tempor works well, but yaw should have been trash yesterday for it. I know the laps were like 25mph, so not super low yaw. But still.

I think why the Aerohead tests well on lots of folks is when folks hold their head up higher or look around or get the "tails" on helmets poking up. I generally can ride fine with a tail on my back, no issues.

I really liked the Aeroswitch overall. It was still pretty fast, but the visibility and quality of it is just top notch. I was suprised for such a massive visor the Aerohead has that bloody pointed front in your field of vision. I tried rocking it back on my head to see better, but it just wouldn't.

Honestly, probably selling the Aerohead due to not it being slowest..........but that visibility and fragility of the visor combined. I wanted so badly keep it as it is everyone's favorite and would have easy resale........but I just can't.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 02-22-22, 02:28 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Need to verify laps in GC tonight, but Garmin/Notio laps in the Notio app for some out/back runs with my new lap "method" seem to indicate I may be sub 0.200 finally.

Next stop.....0.190.
Old 03-16-23, 12:11 PM
DiegoMendes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice Crankset
Old 03-16-23, 12:12 PM
DiegoMendes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poc tempor is a best helmet to agressive position.

Nice position
Old 12-29-23, 06:35 PM
cybirr 
Beer & Bikes

Bikes: '20 Specialized Roubaix Expert, '20 Specialized Shiv Elite, '13 Specialized S-Works Epic

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 36 Posts
Since 2021 I've had some good fun on a Shiv Tri that was optimized via a bike fitter for time trials. I enjoyed the suffering, and earned a few very modest spots on the podium. Sadly, TT in my area has collapsed as the three big events have been suspended or cancelled all together. Via BikeReg and the like I'm looking at events a state or two away as possible road trips. My question is the UCI/USAC rules and what is the likelihood of being rejected for being on a non (for lack of a better phrase) legal TT bike. My local races were tolerant and basically happy people showed up regardless of bike type. Only once was someone heard saying something and they had all sorts of personality baggage to begin with.

How often are the UCI/USAC rules problematic for Cat 4/5 riders? Have any of you encountered/observed push back over bike types? Yes, I know step one is contact the race authority but I'm looking for general trends here.

Respectfully,

Cy
Old 02-10-24, 03:54 PM
808HIcycler

Bikes: 2020 Scott addict RC 10, 2024 Polygon Siskiu D7

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
So........Did my first bike race of my life today and feel decent about it. 10-mile flat ITT. 27:17 on a Scott addict RC10 with clip-on aero bars. 22.2mph, 225w @ 86 kg this morning. Finished 7th in AG and am happier\ than anything about not finishing DFL, even more so having only signed up three weeks ago to do it. I think the TT bug has officially bitten after doing this.
Likes For 808HIcycler: