Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Weird rules for the group ride

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Weird rules for the group ride

Old 06-26-21, 01:30 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I haven't crashed since 1995. In the 7 years I've been recording rides on Strava, I've done 13,000 miles without crashing even once. It's not really something a lot of us do a lot of, or even any of, so when you talk about crashing dozens of times, and you say you're, what, 25? it doesn't fill us with admiration for your bikehandling skills.
I consider myself fairly safe rider and even I have crashed more than a handful of times in the last decade.... of course that was 3 or 4 crashes in races that happened in front of me that I was slightly caught up in. 3-4 cyclocross racing, practice wipeouts and 1 riding along on a path without anyone else and hitting a disguised deep hole hard enough that my hands came off the bars and I ate dirt.

so yeah... I would consider myself virtually crash free outside of competitive events.

....and for the record I don't count bumping wheels when on the group ride and the rider in front of you gets out of the saddle without having their weight on the pedal so they run backwards into you.... as long as everyone stays upright it's not a wreck.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-26-21, 01:33 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Oooo forgot about the time a dog on a rope "leash" was pulled into my front wheel while I was commuting. It just happened to be the day after the dog walked out and caused the wreck in the Tour all those years ago. Flipped over the bars, cracked my helmet, was bleeding from my face. Called my wife twice within 5 minutes saying the same things. It was obviously a concussion but back then I didn't care and knew I had to get to work.

Old 06-26-21, 01:40 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

....and I am sure this was covered many times in the beginning but to add my voice for no reason at all: If you are a USA Cycling club then you have club insurance that covers members when participating in official club activities like rides. This club obviously wants to cross their T's and dot their I's so requiring a waiver to be signed by anyone who isn't a member of the club will extend the coverage on them for the event even if it isn't a permitted non-competitive.

As for jersey - wear a top. If it's a bunch of Roadies then I wouldn't be surprised at all if they required shoulder coverings as that is required to take the start in any USA Cycling road event. I would never require that myself..but...

yeah - hybrid riding, flat bar, no shirt, no helmet wearing rider who wrecks... sounds like a great troll thread but regardless I would also invite that rider over to my shop so I could talk to them about why some things are done certain ways. I would loan gear and invite them back. If it kept up i would ask them not to join in the future. For reference I have never asked someone not to join our ride or not to come back.

For the record all of the A-holes who left in the past left on their own. I didn't have to ask them.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-26-21, 02:33 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
....and I am sure this was covered many times in the beginning but to add my voice for no reason at all: If you are a USA Cycling club then you have club insurance that covers members when participating in official club activities like rides. This club obviously wants to cross their T's and dot their I's so requiring a waiver to be signed by anyone who isn't a member of the club will extend the coverage on them for the event even if it isn't a permitted non-competitive.

As for jersey - wear a top. If it's a bunch of Roadies then I wouldn't be surprised at all if they required shoulder coverings as that is required to take the start in any USA Cycling road event. I would never require that myself..but...

yeah - hybrid riding, flat bar, no shirt, no helmet wearing rider who wrecks... sounds like a great troll thread but regardless I would also invite that rider over to my shop so I could talk to them about why some things are done certain ways. I would loan gear and invite them back. If it kept up i would ask them not to join in the future. For reference I have never asked someone not to join our ride or not to come back.

For the record all of the A-holes who left in the past left on their own. I didn't have to ask them.
yeah the flat bars are wide as hell and a bit of a hazard, the racing ride passed these two women riding two abreast way too close and I was forced to pass within like 6 inches because of them. Would have been too close even with drops but my wide bars made it actually bad. One guy in the racing group offered to lend me a road bike, said tons of people on that ride have old stuff in their garage that’s perfectly fine. Super nice people. Not gonna take him up on it until I lose 40 lbs and feel my bike is holding me back. Might take a saw to my wide bars though

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-26-21 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-26-21, 03:27 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
One guy in the racing group offered to lend me a road bike, said tons of people on that ride have old stuff in their garage that’s perfectly fine. Super nice people. Not gonna take him up on it until I lose 40 lbs and feel my bike is holding me back. Might take a saw to my wide bars though
It doesn't make sense not to take the offer. If your wide bars are less safe, you'd be addressing that issue. You'd also fitting-in better and look like you are trying to fit in. You'd also be getting experience with a more appropriate bike.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-27-21 at 05:40 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 06-26-21, 03:35 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10246 Post(s)
Liked 11,599 Times in 5,945 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It doesn't make sense not to take the offer. If your wide bars are less safe, you'd be addressing that issue. You'd also firing better and lok like you are trying to fit in. You'd also be getting experience with a more appropriate bike.
Yeah, also how would you know your bike ISN'T holding you back unless you try a different bike. Who knows? Maybe you wouldn't have crashed on a road bike. They're made for cornering at speed, not just to be more aerodynamic on the flat.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 06-26-21, 03:39 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by njkayaker
It doesn't make sense not to take the offer. If your wide bars are less safe, you'd be addressing that issue. You'd also firing better and lok like you are trying to fit in. You'd also be getting experience with a more appropriate bike.
He is known for attacking and putting hurt on the field (lots of strong guys who like sitting in, saving energy to "win" the group ride), but is out of commission because he got hit by a car. Someone took a picture of me and posted in the rides Facebook group that I would be his avatar, it was after that he jokingly offered to set me up on his road bike. These guys, while nice, overestimate the advantages of a road bike, and I don't want to take his bike until I'm actually strong enough to do him justice and can help string out the field.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-26-21 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-26-21, 04:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,315 Times in 2,700 Posts
Sup Larry! I'd say continue with the winning combo you have going but put on a t shirt or at least a wife beater. Common courtesy/hygiene, all that. Anyway, take that hybrid up a notch and add some eye catching accessories. Take a cue from one of our BF studs and get a two foot steerer extension and some large mirrors. Maybe a nice bell, don't be shy about ringing it when you are first up the climb. Heck, ring it even if you are last! Back to the t shirt, find one in black or gray, get a pink magic marker and write "Ralph" a few places in a stylish script. Show those poseurs who's the big dog. Pics, of course....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-26-21, 04:39 PM
LarrySellerz

When I want to wear something to protect myself from the sun I wear a women’s dress https://imgur.com/gallery/RIt72

This is an old pic, some kids cut it much shorter before a rave because they said it would get too hot so it’s a bit sluttier now, have to wear shorts under it while riding. It gets too sweaty and starts to chafe my nips after a while though.Also you know I have a bell and ring it a bunch

I should tape terun or alto velo on the dress that’s a really good idea thanks for giving me the thought. Normally I wear it for the ladies, but it gets the job done of triggering cat 6. I’m thinking of adding a flag to the bike to spruce it up, that my next upgrade.
Old 06-26-21, 04:48 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Body Glide for the nips or the easier to find Gold Bond product. Don't go too esoteric on the label, don't want to confuse them.
Old 06-26-21, 05:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Yeah, also how would you know your bike ISN'T holding you back unless you try a different bike. Who knows? Maybe you wouldn't have crashed on a road bike. They're made for cornering at speed, not just to be more aerodynamic on the flat.
​​​​​​Nonsense.

They're made for looking pro.
Old 06-26-21, 06:10 PM
njkayaker

These guys, while nice, overestimate the advantages of a road bike, and I don't want to take his bike until I'm actually strong enough to do him justice and can help string out the field.
People exaggerate the advantages of the bike (that’s really common). That has nothing to do with you using a road bike. There’s no good reason for you to not use a road bike.
Old 06-26-21, 06:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
​​​​​​Nonsense.

They're made for looking pro.
I thought that was just a wonderful bonus. I look so pro, me and my 200 lbs on a set of skinny gaspipes.

Old 06-26-21, 06:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

He is known for attacking and putting hurt on the field (lots of strong guys who like sitting in, saving energy to "win" the group ride), but is out of commission because he got hit by a car. Someone took a picture of me and posted in the rides Facebook group that I would be his avatar, it was after that he jokingly offered to set me up on his road bike. These guys, while nice, overestimate the advantages of a road bike, and I don't want to take his bike until I'm actually strong enough to do him justice and can help string out the field.
Says the guy they drop, who crashes on descents.

Old 06-26-21, 06:30 PM
LarrySellerz

Says the guy they drop, who crashes on descents.

It is embarrassing, but still I contend that its my lack of skills rather than the bike. Ive ridden road bikes and this hybrid is stable at high speeds. Road bikes are more stable at higher speeds in general, but better at cornering? IDK, skeptical of that, what makes them better at cornering?

They won't be dropping me for long, give me like 6 months and ill be a monster.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 06-26-21 at 06:35 PM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 06-26-21, 07:25 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
hybrid riding, flat bar, no shirt, no helmet wearing rider who wrecks... sounds like a great troll thread...
It's a great troll thread -- one of the best ever.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 06-26-21, 07:58 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

... give me like 6 months and ill be a monster.
Sounds like a safe bet.
Old 06-26-21, 08:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
It is embarrassing, but still I contend that its my lack of skills rather than the bike. Ive ridden road bikes and this hybrid is stable at high speeds. Road bikes are more stable at higher speeds in general, but better at cornering? IDK, skeptical of that, what makes them better at cornering?

They won't be dropping me for long, give me like 6 months and ill be a monster.
💘 your can do attitude.
Likes For spelger:
Old 06-26-21, 08:09 PM
njkayaker

It is embarrassing, but still I contend that its my lack of skills rather than the bike.
It's your lack of skills.

No one here thinks it's the bike.
Old 06-26-21, 09:10 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Road bikes are more stable at higher speeds in general, but better at cornering? IDK, skeptical of that, what makes them better at cornering?
Let's see, geometry refined over a century, weight distribution optimised for handling and grip, supple tyres?
Old 06-26-21, 11:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 06-27-21, 06:18 AM
Koyote

Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
“Weird rules for the group ride”: No shirt, no helmet, no service.
Old 06-28-21, 11:01 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 983 Times in 508 Posts
When I want to wear something to protect myself from the sun I wear a women’s dress https://imgur.com/gallery/RIt72

This is an old pic, some kids cut it much shorter before a rave because they said it would get too hot so it’s a bit sluttier now, have to wear shorts under it while riding.
That looks good on you. Have you considered getting a nice mumu, like the one Tubs Fishman often donned for concerts? Seems like it would fit your style.

(Sorry for bumping this, everyone. I just can’t stand to see the best-ever thread go dormant.)
Old 06-28-21, 11:13 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3340 Post(s)
Liked 3,438 Times in 1,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
(Sorry for bumping this, everyone. I just can’t stand to see the best-ever thread go dormant.)
Yeah, sure. It's all harmless fun, until Sup Larry shows up on your group ride.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-28-21, 11:15 AM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts

This is an old pic, some kids cut it much shorter before a rave because they said it would get too hot so it’s a bit sluttier now, have to wear shorts under it while riding. It gets too sweaty and starts to chafe my nips after a while though.Also you know I have a bell and ring it a bunch

I should tape terun or alto velo on the dress that’s a really good idea thanks for giving me the thought. Normally I wear it for the ladies, but it gets the job done of triggering cat 6. I’m thinking of adding a flag to the bike to spruce it up, that my next upgrade.
It looks rather nice though a lighter color would reflect some heat off you more. Put bandaids or surgical tape on the nips. If you do add a flag, please angle it so it cuts through the air better. Also, please find someone to take a short video of you on the bike with this whole setup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.