Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anybody know maker/model of this stem?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-21, 01:45 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 274 Posts

I bought my 1986 Peugeot PXR80 with this stem on it. I really, really dislike it. Fortunately, I have a nice Nitto Dynamic 12 on the way to replace it.

I would like to know the maker/model of this stem, so I can determine what to do with it once I yank it. Donate it to the bike co-op, or put it on ebay for an exorbitant price? For all I know, these things are worth a fortune, like those janky (in my opinion, anyway) Look Ergostems.

Old 09-24-21, 01:54 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Looks a lot like this Kalloy, so probably nothing special?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=b0055n8hc0-20

Are there any markings on the inserted part of the quill?
Likes For noobinsf:
Old 09-24-21, 02:04 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by noobinsf
Looks a lot like this Kalloy, so probably nothing special?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=b0055n8hc0-20

Are there any markings on the inserted part of the quill?
Confirmed. Scratched and worn, but it's there. I can make out "Kalloy" on it. So much for my dreams of ebay fortunes, haha. Thanks!
Likes For johnnyace:
Old 09-24-21, 05:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Confirmed. Scratched and worn, but it's there. I can make out "Kalloy" on it. So much for my dreams of ebay fortunes, haha. Thanks!
Throw it in the bin, you would be surprised what comes in handy trying to make something fit or work for someone that doesn't know what they want or need.

The biggest plus is not having to wait, pay or search for a part that can save the day or confirm that it can't be saved.
Likes For merziac:
Old 09-24-21, 07:02 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Originally Posted by merziac
Throw it in the bin, you would be surprised what comes in handy trying to make something fit or work for someone that doesn't know what they want or need.

The biggest plus is not having to wait, pay or search for a part that can save the day or confirm that it can't be saved.
Not really a likely scenario, in my case. Besides, I have recently sold down the bikes to two, and either sold off or donated almost all of my parts. Any incoming parts will be on an "as needed" basis for the two existing C&V bikes, and the incoming Hampsten won't need anything for a while. It's being built up with SRAM Force, various Ritchey WCS bits, Astral Radiant wheelset with White Industries hubs, and Paul Racer M direct mount centerpull brakes. Gonna be a fun bike!
Old 09-24-21, 09:58 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Not really a likely scenario, in my case. Besides, I have recently sold down the bikes to two, and either sold off or donated almost all of my parts. Any incoming parts will be on an "as needed" basis for the two existing C&V bikes, and the incoming Hampsten won't need anything for a while. It's being built up with SRAM Force, various Ritchey WCS bits, Astral Radiant wheelset with White Industries hubs, and Paul Racer M direct mount centerpull brakes. Gonna be a fun bike!
Alright, fine, throw it in the bin at the co-op.

Absolutely looking forward to the seeing the Hampsten built and built up.

Dave has the iconic frozen Andy poster in the John at TiCycles, cool as heck in more ways than one.
Likes For merziac: