Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Stockpiling spare parts and other bits

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Stockpiling spare parts and other bits

Old 05-01-07, 03:08 PM
Allen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by buckleyheaven
hahahah thanks for the reassurance everyone.

Just an extension of this thread.
Sorry that this has become long winded - it's just a curiosity thing for me now.
what level of stockpiling do you guys think is considered "okay".

My inventory is roughly as follows:
3 spare brake pads
2 spare helmets
spare bike locks
4 spare rear lights
2 spare front lights
6 spare tyres
8 spare tubes
cables
handle bar tape and grips
4 spare drink bottles
2 spare sets of cleats
then theres the odd pump and lock etc etc.

This is for 2 mtn bikes and one roadie (perhaps a hybrid in the near future)
We do weekend rides quite frequently and I commute regularly.
That's nothing to worry over, I've got more than that stuffed in the junk drawer in the kitchen alone.
But then I live alone, two bikes on work stands in the dining room, a truing stand next to the floor lamp in the living room, and the sink has held a carburetor more than once.
Old 05-01-07, 03:11 PM
acidinmylegs
Cyclist

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I buy cables and housing in bulk. I keep spare tires (road and mountain, both tube and tubeless type for mountain). I have spare brake pads (rim and disc). I have spare chains. I tend to work on my bikes late at night and I hate having to stop in the middle because I am lacking an item.
Old 05-01-07, 03:28 PM
daveF

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have lots of spare parts stockpiled. It comes in handy when friends crash while racing & need their bike fixed in a hurry. I have spare cranks, bottom brackets, chains, cassettes, bmx freewheels for single speeds, fixed gear cogs, cables, chainrings, handle bars, pedals, wheels, tires, tubes, bearings, brake levers, shifters (both sti & downtube), brake calipers, brake pads, derailleurs, etc. I buy parts on sale when I find them such as chains, cassettes, tubes, & tires for future use. I do all the maintenance on all our bikes (usually around 8 or so), as well as for friends when they need it. I bought a box of 100 tubes recently due to the price, $0.72 each. It's nice to be able to hand someone a tube on the side of the road & it only costs me $0.72. We have a room in our house dedicated to the bike shop & pub & almost all of our spare parts are stored inside. I'm fortunate to have someone that is almost as obsessed with bikes as much as I!
Old 05-01-07, 03:40 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a bunch of stuff lying around and I boxed it up and gave it to the bike coop.
Old 05-01-07, 04:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
I had a bunch of stuff lying around and I boxed it up and gave it to the bike coop.
I did that as a dodge on my wife. It worked for about a month before she noticed all the other stuff I'd hidden.
Old 05-01-07, 04:31 PM
Elusor
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm a firm believer of stockpiling spare parts and the like.
Recently my wife's been having a go at me for buying too many bits and pieces.
I like to have 3-4 spare tubes lying around (I carry a spare always), spare rear lights, spare tyre levers, drink bottles, an extra saddle or two, cleats, energy gels etc.

Does anyone else here like to "stockpile" spares or am I a bit of a freak?

I think I do it because we've got 3 bikes. His and her mountain bikes and my road bike.

Couldn't find a thread for this. Apologies if there is.
These sites may help you my friend:

https://www.ocfoundation.org/
https://www.ocfoundation.org/hoarding/

This is a serious problem. No jokes. I hope you are well soon. Thanks. And take care of yourself.
Old 05-01-07, 04:39 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Elusor
These sites may help you my friend:

https://www.ocfoundation.org/
https://www.ocfoundation.org/hoarding/

This is a serious problem. No jokes. I hope you are well soon. Thanks. And take care of yourself.
This is in no way unusual. This guy's got less than the average amount of stuff anyone serious about bikes / commuting would have accumulated in a couple of years. To insinuate that he needs professional help for what most others involved in the same hobby would consider normal is insulting at best.
Old 05-01-07, 07:39 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
lol adamtki. that's exactly what I'm trying to do.
However, we have joint accounts so she keeps asking me what's this $10 purchase, what's that $7 thingy?
lol
LOL - that is very familiar sounding. My wife claims I spend $400 a month - I know it's more like $150
Old 05-01-07, 07:44 PM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
hahahah thanks for the reassurance everyone.

Just an extension of this thread.
Sorry that this has become long winded - it's just a curiosity thing for me now.
what level of stockpiling do you guys think is considered "okay".

My inventory is roughly as follows:
3 spare brake pads
2 spare helmets
spare bike locks
4 spare rear lights
2 spare front lights
6 spare tyres
8 spare tubes
cables
handle bar tape and grips
4 spare drink bottles
2 spare sets of cleats
then theres the odd pump and lock etc etc.

This is for 2 mtn bikes and one roadie (perhaps a hybrid in the near future)
We do weekend rides quite frequently and I commute regularly.
Ha - as my son would say - newbie!

I'm always improving the quantity and quality of my stash. I'll buy a couple of bikes cheap, strip a rack or saddle, and resell at a small profit. The profit will buy another tire, wheel, or fender. repeat

Now - if you carried all that with you that might be a cause for concern. One hint, the extra stuff is handy to give away to people you're trying to inspire to take up cycling.
Old 05-02-07, 09:05 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Having spare parts now means having them when something breaks while the bike shop is closed.
just what I was going to post.

If you're a commuter, there are going to be plenty of times when something breaks and a shop is not going to be available, so you're going to have to fix it yourself with your own parts or you're not going to be getting into work with your bike.

There's also the law that says the time to pick up parts is when you do not need them. If you wait 'til you do, either you can't find the part, or if you can, it'll be over-priced.
Old 05-02-07, 09:10 AM
jfellrath

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It makes much more sense to reuse parts that are safely reusable than it does to keep buying new stuff that you don't need. Keep hoarding. Just keep in mind that proper storage of this stuff is going to make your wife much happier if you're not doing it already. If she's just upset that you're saving it, well, she has her own issues to get through.
Old 05-02-07, 01:56 PM
rando

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think that is too much... my wife is always mindful of accumulation of stuff-- her Dad was a hoarrder and she doesn't want to end up like him... when he died we had to clean out his house and yard ...11 dumpsters full of stuff. and that's mostly what was inside.
Old 09-29-21, 03:05 AM
Yardage

Bikes: Trek Domane, Specialized Roubaix, Trek Checkpoint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inventory

I don't consider myself stockpiling. The issue for me is really keeping an inventory so I never have to stop cycling. If I'm out of parts and there's none available, that's my fault. So I have spare inner tubes, a few of tires, cassettes, chains, and well more than enough cleats since Speedplay was bought out by Wahoo and they changed their product line along with a spare set of pedals. I have 3 bikes running Speedplays so I'm not about to change everything over. I have two SRAM equipped road bikes that take essentially the same parts and a new-to-me gravel bike which is Shimano. Its just common sense if cycling is your passion and the avocation that keeps your mind and body straight, to have extra parts. Keeping those inventory parts are a whole lot cheaper than medical bills. Not pedaling is a whole lot more expensive to your wallet and your health than being able to ride regularly however far or short you go. The parts shortage has become dire enough now that there are some bike shops hat will install parts that you bring with you.
Old 10-01-21, 09:20 AM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Damn, 14 year old thread.
Likes For Schlafen:
Old 10-01-21, 10:03 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Yardage
I don't consider myself stockpiling. The issue for me is really keeping an inventory so I never have to stop cycling. If I'm out of parts and there's none available, that's my fault. So I have spare inner tubes, a few of tires, cassettes, chains, and well more than enough cleats since Speedplay was bought out by Wahoo and they changed their product line along with a spare set of pedals. I have 3 bikes running Speedplays so I'm not about to change everything over...
Well-timed. I know of a few people who are quite bitter that Wahoo discontinued support for their pedals all of a sudden, and I can't blame them!

We commuters tend to go through some consumables faster than fair-weather cyclists, so having the "next" of certain items on hand seems perfectly justifiable to me. Especially if one is trying to replace car use with bike use, that bike needs to be serviceable at all times!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 01:33 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I think we can help. Take a few dozen chains, tires and other such thing and call us in the morning. LOL I was at a swap meet once, a man was selling a case of inter tubes. Gee, I thought that would be nice to have but who really needs 12 dozen inter tubes? You see, everyone has "back-up parts" and other such thing. If you don't your really not a bicyclist.
Old 10-08-21, 02:28 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I think we can help. Take a few dozen chains, tires and other such thing and call us in the morning. LOL I was at a swap meet once, a man was selling a case of inter tubes. Gee, I thought that would be nice to have but who really needs 12 dozen inter tubes? You see, everyone has "back-up parts" and other such thing. If you don't your really not a bicyclist.
I organized my spare tubes a few weeks ago and counted over two dozen -- I think they multiply when you're not looking!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-08-21, 03:20 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
Originally Posted by Schlafen
Damn, 14 year old thread.
Yep and OP hasn't been back to BF in all that time. Guess he either has a huge stockpile or his wife has prevailed.
Old 10-09-21, 04:13 AM
Colorado Kid

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
My wife rides too. She does about 2,000 miles a year on her commuter bike. She doesn't mind me stock piling parts. It's now in two LARGE plastic containers. How many container/boxes does your parts take up? I've know guys' part bins took up large parts of the room.
Old 10-10-21, 05:57 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
How many container/boxes does your parts take up? I've know guys' part bins took up large parts of the room.
Now you're meddling!
Old 10-10-21, 06:08 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
I just stockpiled new chain and pads for my commuter an our tandem. I didn't to realize how much it costs to ride .about 250.00 for every 2000-3000 miles on both bikes. so between those and tires we would n=be over 1000 a year to ride the 10,00 or so miles we ride each year. the tandem eats brake pads and tires.
Old 10-13-21, 05:21 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I keep some stuff in quantity like brake pads but I only keep enough cables and such around so I don’t need to miss a day because I don’t have something

Last edited by Germany_chris; 10-15-21 at 03:46 AM.
Old 10-13-21, 09:19 AM
badger11

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pretty much have everything on hand with the supply chain issues.
Cables, housing, chain, cassette, tires, tubes etc.