Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Had a week off the bike and wow are my muscles sore

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-17-21, 09:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2562 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts

Flew out of state for a week and left the bike behind. Today I went out for my usual, I don’t know where to ride, so will do the usual. So I did 30+ miles with 2K’ climbing and felt fine. Did the hills as usual and only really went for one PR which got me a first for my age range - decrepit.

After returning home and showering, was walking DOWN stairs and my legs protested. Never had this before. If my legs are tired, they protest on the way up toward the top of the staircase. Maybe be its my age - 66 - taking its toll. Doing self massage and stretching but doesn’t do much. Talking to a buddy, he told me I should have eased back into it and really taken it easy getting back into it. But after only a week?

Anyone one else had this happen?

Old 10-17-21, 09:23 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Can you elaborate a bit further on the pain you are having ?
Old 10-17-21, 09:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
You may have DVT from flying, better see a doc.
Old 10-17-21, 10:13 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Flew out of state for a week and left the bike behind. Today I went out for my usual, I don’t know where to ride, so will do the usual. So I did 30+ miles with 2K’ climbing and felt fine. Did the hills as usual and only really went for one PR which got me a first for my age range - decrepit.

After returning home and showering, was walking DOWN stairs and my legs protested. Never had this before. If my legs are tired, they protest on the way up toward the top of the staircase. Maybe be its my age - 66 - taking its toll. Doing self massage and stretching but doesn’t do much. Talking to a buddy, he told me I should have eased back into it and really taken it easy getting back into it. But after only a week?

... you're gettin OOOOLLLLLLDDDDD !!! LOL!
like your buddy said...
and i'm findiing DOMS sets in sooner on us old pharts.... - I've been riding every day for the past 60 days... some hard, some easier, some v-hard... Then... I went on a hike on Wed - haven't hiked since the National Forests were closed in end AUG. did 6 hrs, 3k gain and loss... After dinner my legs screamed at me whenever I went down some stairs...
.self-massage, Ibuprofen, lots of hydration, don;t have a tub, so no warm epsom salts bath for me... another massage before bed...
went for a 'recovery ride' next day, small ring, not high cadence (70 ish), no real climbing, easy steady pace, lots of hydration, took about 12 miles before legs no longer felt like oak... rest of ride, another 12 mi, just up'd the cadence to 80ish and kept the pedal pressure moderate...
For me, I learned to do longer warmups, more hydration (don;t think I drank enough on hike...) bring circulation and heart rate up a bit slower...
anything you've ever done for warmup and recovery - just do more of it.
when it happens, it's still always a surprise - until I remember, I'm no longer 30, or 40, 50, 60, yeah and 70...
but Hell, still gotta - Ride On!
Yuri
EDIT: oh, and took combo of Mg, Ca, K supplements hour after dinner, and again in morning, 1st thing, before even my pot of coffee... LOL!
and also take Calcium Lactate (this one) , after a hard session; and also 1/2 hour before an expected hard ride/hammerfest (pre-ride combined with 1 tab of 'Sports Legs') - really works for me.

Last edited by cyclezen; 10-17-21 at 10:29 PM.
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 10-17-21, 10:15 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Both quads, are super sore. Calves and hams are ok.

Appreciate the warning about DVTs. My wife gets those on rare occasion and she is just about crippled when they occur. She is on blood thinners for life since she has had multiple occurrences, and this homey don’t have no time for that.

May do a Very easy flat ride tomorrow and see if I can work it out.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-18-21, 12:25 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

When you say a "week", do you mean exactly 7 days or was it a bit longer?

And just to clarify, how many days since your last 30+ mile ride?
Old 10-18-21, 09:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by holytrousers
Can you elaborate a bit further on the pain you are having ?
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You may have DVT from flying, better see a doc.
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
When you say a "week", do you mean exactly 7 days or was it a bit longer?

And just to clarify, how many days since your last 30+ mile ride?
Hello Colonel. Glad to see your arteries are still open and you offering consult.

A week refers to 6 calendar days - I was playing fast and loose with the term.

Consulting Strava, October 3rd, 54; 4th,40, followed by a 24, 26, 21, on the 10th a 20. Your analysis good Colonel?

Legs felt pretty good going down stairs this morning. Not perfect.

Epilogue. Star date 10182021.1. Before bed had a mild leg cramp, resolved with pickle juice and a magnesium pill. Since I only drank 3/4 of a tall water bottle part of the issue was dehydration, even though I tried to make up the difference when home by drinking 3 large glasses of water and a merlot. BUT I still never had issues walking DOWN stairs.

Last edited by rsbob; 10-18-21 at 09:53 AM. Reason: I edit because I can.
Old 10-18-21, 10:01 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Hello Colonel. Glad to see your arteries are still open and you offering consult.

Consulting Strava, October 3rd, 54; 4th,40, followed by a 24, 26, 21, on the 10th a 20. Your analysis good Colonel?

Epilogue. Star date 10182021.1. Before bed had a mild leg cramp, resolved with pickle juice and a magnesium pill. Since I only drank 3/4 of a tall water bottle part of the issue was dehydration, even though I tried to make up the difference when home by drinking 3 large glasses of water and a merlot. BUT I still never had issues walking DOWN stairs.
Strange you had the problems you experienced.

It will be interesting to see if you have any similar recovery problems in the weeks ahead or if you bounce back to normal.

I wonder if you have a virus or something that helped knock you around?
Old 10-18-21, 10:03 AM
Greg R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I've had all the same symptoms. A hard 8 hrs of work brings it out as well as cycling. All good advice. When I worked at a university a sports medicine student worker told me that past 40, it takes twice the effort to keep muscle tone as when you were 18. Ha! diminishing returns?
Old 10-18-21, 12:13 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts

You should have definitely reversed the ratio!
Likes For kahn:
Old 10-18-21, 10:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Greg R
I've had all the same symptoms. A hard 8 hrs of work brings it out as well as cycling. All good advice. When I worked at a university a sports medicine student worker told me that past 40, it takes twice the effort to keep muscle tone as when you were 18. Ha! diminishing returns?
How do I unlike the comment about twice the effort to keep it?! . I do believe that is unfortunately true - pewp. Just have to keep at it.

Update: Did a flat high cadence 32 today at low to medium effort with no ill effects. Looks like I may have bounced back.

Old 10-18-21, 11:08 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've been off the bike for three weeks, waiting for some pesky sinus and ear congestion to clear up so I'm not so dizzy while riding. I've continued jogging and walking, 3-10 miles per session a few times a week. Pretty comparable aerobically to easy to moderate effort riding. But it still works different muscles. I'm gonna try a ride tomorrow. I'm expecting some sore quads and calves.
Old 10-18-21, 11:23 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by canklecat
I've been off the bike for three weeks, waiting for some pesky sinus and ear congestion to clear up so I'm not so dizzy while riding. I've continued jogging and walking, 3-10 miles per session a few times a week. Pretty comparable aerobically to easy to moderate effort riding. But it still works different muscles. I'm gonna try a ride tomorrow. I'm expecting some sore quads and calves.
After my experience - take it easy and dial back the mileage

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-19-21, 12:38 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
my last bike ride was in August. I'm doomed. come on, it's a bicycle ... maybe I'm just not so tied to performance stats. don't want riding to add to my stress
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-22-21, 07:24 AM
bike eagle
On The Road Again

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 40 Posts
To the OP:

What did you do while you were out of town? Any hiking? Walking? Running?
Are you on any new medications or dietary changes?
How old are you?
Any recent illnesses?
Any changes to the bike since your last long ride prior to experiencing soreness?

I'm just asking because I have a hard time believing that your new soreness was the result of only one week off the bike. Of course, you may not want to answer some of these questions in an open forum and I get that. I'm just trying to help expand your thinking in case there is another problem.

Last edited by bike eagle; 10-22-21 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-22-21, 07:30 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by bike eagle

Speaking just for myself, I also just got back from a trip and am hoping I didn't atrophy any muscles by not riding. So I am watching this thread with great interest,

But fortunately I did do a lot of walking (although I admit I ate too much).
Old 10-22-21, 04:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
This could of been easily prevented by exercising while away from the bike...A simple 20 minute full body workout without any equipment would be enough.
Old 10-23-21, 10:41 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by bike eagle
To the OP:

- Spent all day with my invalid 79 year old mother who I see a handful of time a year and since time with her is so precious, stayed with her full time. So none of the above. When she was mobile I would run or walk 4-5 miles.

Are you on any new medications or dietary changes?

- Zero changes

How old are you?

Any recent illnesses?

- not super recent. Was on my bike for two weeks prior after enduring a 4 week head cold. The time involved for the cold was unusual.

Any changes to the bike since your last long ride prior to experiencing soreness?

- My bike didn’t seem to act moody or irritated that I neglected it. (No adjustments made to bike)

I'm just asking because I have a hard time believing that your new soreness was the result of only one week off the bike. Of course, you may not want to answer some of these questions in an open forum and I get that. I'm just trying to help expand your thinking in case there is another problem.
I believe it is a function of age combined going from daily workouts to nothing and the muscles tightening up - I worked out the soreness by going on two gentle spin days of 15 and 20 miles. On the third day, my legs were completely back and could hammer the hills with no residual soreness.

Likes For rsbob: