Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Quality Men's Underwear recommendation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 11:09 AM
Dr1v3n

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts

I'm looking for some quality padded men's underwear and would love to hear if anyone can recommend some brands. Right now I use some bike shorts that I got from my LBS which are made in USA. The padding on these are great, but with Winter coming, I want to throw some underpants underneath the leggings I already own. In the past, I went on Amazon and there's just a bunch of low quality stuff from various strange-name manufacturer's in China. This is not to say that I believe all products made in China are poor quality as I know that's not the case. However, Amazon seems to be winning medals for having the most low quality brands these days and thus I am asking for your tried and true recommendations for bike padded underwear that I can find elsewhere, at least from a reputable company. Thanks.
Old 10-26-21, 11:19 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22590 Post(s)
Liked 8,924 Times in 4,157 Posts
Could you simply wear the shorts you already have under the leggings?

I don't really think padded cycling underwear is a thing.
Likes For datlas:
Old 10-26-21, 11:20 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
REI has some underwear with padding for biking. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm getting ready to buy some for myself and my wife, for the same reasons the OP states. Chances are, they're better quality that Amazon's cheapest offerings. Chances are they're NOT as good as a pair of insulated bib tights--I have one of these, and it's my go-to when the weather turns cold and I'm riding more than a few miles. It would be nice to throw on some warm joggers (like sweat pants, but cut to fit a little tighter) and have some padding underneath for casual rides in cool temps.

Does anyone have experience with the brands REI stocks for this item?
Old 10-26-21, 11:43 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Could you simply wear the shorts you already have under the leggings?
^This is what I do.
Likes For surak:
Old 10-26-21, 12:40 PM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
^This is what I do.
Same when I run through all of my bib tights
Old 10-26-21, 01:41 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
I wouldn't put anything between my butt and my shorts or bibbs, whether they are padded or not. For winter I put layers over the stuff that keeps my butt and privates from getting chaffed and sore.

However Pearl Izumi has baselayers and undershorts that are padded that might be what you want.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/

If they are too low end quality for you then there are other makers of cycle wear that have them.
Old 10-26-21, 01:51 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
REI has some underwear with padding for biking. I haven't tried them yet, but I'm getting ready to buy some for myself and my wife, for the same reasons the OP states. Chances are, they're better quality that Amazon's cheapest offerings. Chances are they're NOT as good as a pair of insulated bib tights--I have one of these, and it's my go-to when the weather turns cold and I'm riding more than a few miles. It would be nice to throw on some warm joggers (like sweat pants, but cut to fit a little tighter) and have some padding underneath for casual rides in cool temps.

I have a pair from REI that is similar to this- https://www.rei.com/product/148365/r...er-shorts-mens
I got em 6 or 7 years ago because they were discounted like 80%. I wear em about 6x/year when I ride into/from my office for work which is 16mi each way. They are short enough where they dont get caught up on shorts. Besides that, I dont have much to say in the way of compliments. They were worth the price I paid.
Old 10-26-21, 02:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I have some of these: Men’s Bike Shorts | Men's Chamois & Padded Bike Shorts | Club Ride Apparel

I wear them when I'm on a bike other than a road bike and don't want to wear cycling shorts, typically under a pair of athletic shorts. They work well.

They are available through Amazon.
Old 10-26-21, 02:21 PM
wrpeterson
Graybeard

Bikes: Spec. Diverge, Surly Karate Monkey, Surly Pacer (ret), Surly Cross Check (ret), Spec. Roubaix Comp (ret), Spec. Roubaix Triple (ret), Spec. Allez Compact Sport (ret), Trek 720 (ret), Lambert Super Sport (ret), CCM (ret), Concord Freedom Dlx (ret)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may want to check out Zoic liner shorts - very versatile.
Old 10-26-21, 03:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
^This is what I do.
Same.
Old 10-26-21, 03:36 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10421 Post(s)
Liked 11,882 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Same.
Me too. This has the advantage that I already know the bibs fit and do their job making everything down there comfortable, whereas padded underwear might not work as well.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-26-21, 03:40 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Same.
Me2.
Likes For 2manybikes:
Old 10-26-21, 04:28 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Originally Posted by genejockey
Me too. This has the advantage that I already know the bibs fit and do their job making everything down there comfortable, whereas padded underwear might not work as well.
It's also a good way to extend the use of bibs that may have gotten a little too thin for using in polite company.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-26-21, 04:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

It's also a good way to extend the use of bibs that may have gotten a little too thin for using in polite company.
As long as you have some way of knowing which those are that doesn't require your riding partners to say, "Uh, dude?"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 10-26-21, 04:33 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
I have about 3,000 miles on a pair of these

https://www.souke-sports.com/collect...derwear-shorts

and they seem to do the trick. No chafing or major saddle sores or “male” issues down there. I wear them under lightweight MTB type shell shorts or pants.

i recently tried (since everyone said i was missing out on … something) a fancy pair of rapha shorts, but to be honest i felt like i was wearing underwear outside. The “quality” is undoubtedly better but i see no actual benefit.
Old 10-26-21, 04:35 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I wouldn't put anything between my butt and my shorts or bibbs, whether they are padded or not. For winter I put layers over the stuff that keeps my butt and privates from getting chaffed and sore.

However Pearl Izumi has baselayers and undershorts that are padded that might be what you want.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/

If they are too low end quality for you then there are other makers of cycle wear that have them.
thats what I use in the winter then put thermal bibs over them. its a lot less money then several pair of padded thermal bibs if you could even find them.
Old 10-26-21, 04:35 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Columbia is a widely accepted name brand, if they make products in that category

but if you want cycling shorts, fwiw I use Zoot brand tri-shorts, under a big variety of outerwear, depending on conditions. they are not "padded" but they have a moisture management liner

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-26-21 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-26-21, 09:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
1 year return for any reason policy. Their stores are open, if they have your size in stock they'll probably let you try them on and use one of their bikes on a trainer. Anyway, they're a good place to shop when in doubt because the generous return policy means you can see if it works for you.
Old 10-26-21, 10:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
I have some of these: Men’s Bike Shorts | Men's Chamois & Padded Bike Shorts | Club Ride Apparel

I wear them when I'm on a bike other than a road bike and don't want to wear cycling shorts, typically under a pair of athletic shorts. They work well.

They are available through Amazon.
you could maybe wear the 1 hour ones all day long for commuting. I wish I knew about the last year.
Old 10-27-21, 04:23 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
You know at the turn of the Century, all they wore under the shorts was a jock strap. This was used a model for sport bras.
Old 10-27-21, 05:32 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
1 year return for any reason policy. Their stores are open, if they have your size in stock they'll probably let you try them on and use one of their bikes on a trainer. Anyway, they're a good place to shop when in doubt because the generous return policy means you can see if it works for you.
Here's to hoping 2 things: 1) it doesn't take a year to determine if the bike underwear fits; and 2) if it does take that long and REI takes back the return, that they don't put it back on the website for sale.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 10-27-21, 06:45 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I have been buying Baleaf products lately and they have proven to be consistent and good. Last winter I wore these under my work jeans commuting and my daily 10 to 15 mile ride and they were fine. I am right between M and L for most clothing and M work perfectly for me. 32000 mostly good reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CWVP9YC

Last edited by mdarnton; 10-27-21 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-27-21, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
As long as you have some way of knowing which those are that doesn't require your riding partners to say, "Uh, dude?"
Heh. On the first day of the 2002 edition of Cycle Oregon a woman rode up to me and commented that I must have had my shorts for a long time then rode off. She was right, but how could she know that? After a minute of thinking about it I had an “Oh crap” moment. After showering at the end of the day I inspected the shorts by stretching the back with my hands. Into the trash they went.
Old 10-27-21, 09:31 AM
caloso

Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
You know at the turn of the Century, all they wore under the shorts was a jock strap. This was used a model for sport bras.
I’m pretty sure I had bibs with a chamois in 1999-2000.
Old 10-27-21, 12:21 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I’m pretty sure I had bibs with a chamois in 1999-2000.
He didn't specify WHICH century.

I know the day of the most recent turn of centuries, I was wearing bibs with a padded chamois.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.