Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

1x gravel gearing suggestions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

1x gravel gearing suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 07:23 PM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
40T in the front, 11-46T rear with Apex rear derailer
This is my setup as well.
Old 10-27-21, 02:46 PM
Sean Liu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Any 11 speed SRAM shifter will work like apex/rival/force/red. I have an apex 1x crank and a sunrace 11-46 rear cassette but there are also quite a few options out there.
thx, I heard shifting is not very smooth and a bit noisy when using RAM 11 spd derailleur combined with 11-46 cassette, do you have these issues?
Old 10-28-21, 12:02 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Generally you want your front ring(s) to be setup so that you are somewhere in the middle of the cassette most of the time (or rather, whichever combination ensures as straight of a chainline as possible.) , adjust your front ring tooth count accordingly.

For example, my E bike has a 38t front ring and now uses a 12-36t cassette. Im usually in the top half of the cassette - as surfaces are mostly flat and the e bike can easily sustain higher speeds. I was thinking to change to a 40t front ring, but then I'd be even more compromised on the short, relatively steep hills in my area.

BTW, cassettes with a 12t or even 13t final cog are super useful and totally worth considering
Old 10-29-21, 12:35 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Generally you want your front ring(s) to be setup so that you are somewhere in the middle of the cassette most of the time (or rather, whichever combination ensures as straight of a chainline as possible.) , adjust your front ring tooth count accordingly.

BTW, cassettes with a 12t or even 13t final cog are super useful and totally worth considering
So I guess you don't approve of my 46t chainring driving a 10-42 cassette, where I spend most of my time on the bottom half of the cassette with a 10t top gear?
Old 12-07-21, 09:39 AM
FrankTuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
I have two 1x gravel bikes. My Cutthroat has a 34T chainring and a 42-11 cassette. It climbs well here in the western NC mountains, but spins out if I ride on the road.
My Grail has a 42T chainring and a 50-10 Eagle cassette. Climbs great, never spins out, even on the road with slicks. Awesome drivetrain, truly the only drivetrain I’d ever need. Drawback, it’s expensive. If i could afford it, I’d duplicate it on my cutthroat.
How do you feel about the gaps between the gears? Is it easy to keep a reasonable cadence? I've been playing around with a gear calculator but would love your thoughts.
Old 12-07-21, 12:41 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna
How do you feel about the gaps between the gears? Is it easy to keep a reasonable cadence? I've been playing around with a gear calculator but would love your thoughts.
I have no problem with the gaps between gears, but to be honest I’ve never been a “tight gap” rider.
Also, it didn’t change my gaps, but I’ve since added an eagle 50-11 cassette on my Cutthroat along with swapping the 34T chainring for a 38T. Very happy with the added range on both ends of the spectrum.
Likes For sarhog:
Old 12-07-21, 12:43 PM
FrankTuna

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
I have no problem with the gaps between gears, but to be honest I’ve never been a “tight gap” rider.
Also, it didn’t change my gaps, but I’ve since added an eagle 50-11 cassette on my Cutthroat along with swapping the 34T chainring for a 38T. Very happy with the added range on both ends of the spectrum.
Cool thanks!! I'm agonizing at the moment how to build up my Cutthroat so I appreciate the input!!
Old 12-07-21, 01:00 PM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankTuna
Cool thanks!! I'm agonizing at the moment how to build up my Cutthroat so I appreciate the input!!
Here’s a link to the thread detailing the mods I made, with photos. Very happy with it.

Cutthroat 12 speed mechanical conversion
Likes For sarhog:
Old 01-12-22, 06:19 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
I'm riding 11-42 11 speed with a 40t front ring. Looking forward to trying this gearing out on some singletrack next season.

I haven't actually ridden on gravel just yet, but I find that I don't have to worry about spinning out on pavement. There are times where I'd feel like 40x42 is over geared for loaded riding , perhaps on gravel .

Only problem is that the mega range rear cassette has some uneven ratio spacings towards the bigger cogs. I like 1x, but I think I'd go for 2x in the future so that I can stick to closer ratios in the rear cassette.
Old 01-12-22, 07:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
I'm riding 11-42 11 speed with a 40t front ring. Looking forward to trying this gearing out on some singletrack next season.

I haven't actually ridden on gravel just yet, but I find that I don't have to worry about spinning out on pavement. There are times where I'd feel like 40x42 is over geared for loaded riding , perhaps on gravel .

Only problem is that the mega range rear cassette has some uneven ratio spacings towards the bigger cogs. I like 1x, but I think I'd go for 2x in the future so that I can stick to closer ratios in the rear cassette.
Old 01-12-22, 07:52 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Sean Liu
thx, I heard shifting is not very smooth and a bit noisy when using RAM 11 spd derailleur combined with 11-46 cassette, do you have these issues?
It's definitely much clunkier and louder than my Campy Chorus 12-speed on my road bike, but it gets the shifts done reliably and quickly, which is fine for a gravel bike, IMO. Utilitarian, but not elegant.