Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

High PSA

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-23, 07:26 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Elevated PSA without prostate enlargement is suspicious. Studies have been unable to prove that cycling causes prostate PSA elevations. But if that's the case in the future a recumbent bike might be in the planning.
Remember things like this need to be evaluated by an Oncology Team!
Not just a Urologist.
Cancer is cancer and prostate problems are just prostate problems..
r.e. bold/B] It is well known that irritation of the prostate can cause an increase in PSA, be it from riding a bike, riding a horse, strenuous lifting, SEX + other things. Prostate Problems are not just Prostate Problems. Once cancer cells escape the prostate capsule, it is open season on the body as to where the cancer can metastasize.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 08-02-23, 07:43 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 503 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
In two weeks I will have cataract surgery. The doctor informed that I should stay off of the bike for a week after the surgery. That is when I plan another PSA test.
I often get overwhelmed with all of these procedures. I also have knee problems. At least the cardiologist described my EKG as beautiful. That is more than 6 years after quadruple bypass surgery.
Good luck with the surgery and limit all activities before your PSA blood draw. for the EKG results.

I had to have an EKG in 2015 before my FIRST Prostate Cancer treatment procedure. Nurse hooked me up, began recording and immediately stopped the recording. She said my heart rate was 32bpm and insufficient for an accurate reading so I had to carefully get up and move around to bring the rate up to 39bpm for recording.

NOT a DOCTOR but did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once so my prescription is that you try to relax.

Old 08-02-23, 08:08 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
r.e. bold/B] It is well known that irritation of the prostate can cause an increase in PSA, be it from riding a bike, riding a horse, strenuous lifting, SEX + other things. Prostate Problems are not just Prostate Problems. Once cancer cells escape the prostate capsule, it is open season on the body as to where the cancer can metastasize.
When it's time for my annual blood draw, I actually work it the other way from most. I deliberately lay on the *cough* stimulation, so my PSA is the worst I can make it. I find that more informative actually, than trying to artificially make for a (possibly) overly optimistic finding.

But, unless I way miss my guess, the o.p. is not riding so hard as to significantly raise their PSA levels. Neither are most of the rest of us. Lets get a grip. The kind of PSA rise that might be seen from ancillary activity in the human sphere and the kind of PSA rise that occurs from Cancer is known to medical professionals. You, I think, are splitting hairs. Despite my aggressive pursuit of the worst PSA reading within my means, I can barely get it to budge. I don't look a Gift Horse in the mouth any more than that. Also, as I understand it, the body clears the PSA generated by ... activity ... in 24 to 48 hours. I'm not sure why the o.p.'s doctor has them off the bike for so long before testing.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 08-02-23 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-03-23, 12:52 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,980 Times in 566 Posts
Both cycling and prostate infections can increase PSA levels.

Word of advice about prostate related issues.

1. Do lots of research. There are a lot of different ways to treat PCA, and they all have advantages and disadvantages. Pretty much all of them have potentially life changing side effects, particularly incontinence and impotence.

2. Docs have different opinions about what is best. Choose carefully and choose based upon your research. Feel free to question challenge them.

3. When you find the doc that’s right for you, do what they tell you.

4. If it comes down to a radical prostatectomy, choose the surgeon carefully. The probability of side effects varies from doc to doc, and the surgeons that do many generally have more success.

Likes For Biker395: