Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Just got a Peugeot Super Competition

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-06-22, 07:01 AM
dukeofearl 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 41 Posts

interesting mix of components...

ta cranks, superbe brakes, titlist front derailter, vx rear derailleur, suntour barcons, fiamme tubular rims - anyone know what kind of hubs these are?

Old 10-06-22, 07:10 AM
dukeofearl 

looks like an 81 from the serial number. kind of cool but odd looking phil wood chp pedals.

would this derailleur hanger have been modified or did they come like this in the 80s?

Old 10-06-22, 07:11 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 756 Posts
Hubs look like they could be Phil Wood.
Old 10-06-22, 07:33 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by ehcoplex
Hubs look like they could be Phil Wood.
yeah i thought it had a similar look to phil wood, can't find any writing on there at all. i don't think i'm going to get into tubulars, and there's some rusty eyelets, so thinking about what i want to do here
Old 10-06-22, 07:42 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
Nice bike! I recently picked up a Super Competition from 81 myself and it has an early Shimano 600 EX rear derailleur attached. It was explained to me by some members here that by this time the Simplex dropout derailleur hanger could accommodate any derailleur, unlike the older version which only accommodated Simplex. I agree with the poster earlier who stated the hubs look like Phil Wood hubs. They’re really very nice but be careful when cleaning them, if the red “Phil” script is still present, you can accidentally wipe it clean away with nothing but a dry rag.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-06-22, 07:49 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

It does seem like a kind of odd mix of components- I wouldn't expect tubular rims to be matched up with Phil hubs & pedals and bar-end shifters!
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 10-06-22, 07:54 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
As far as the mix of parts, what we would EXPECT is not relevant, but there's nothing here of low qualityl What is the frame tubing?

Last edited by Road Fan; 10-07-22 at 05:41 AM.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 10-06-22, 08:16 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
As far as the mix of parts, What we would EXPECT is not relevant, there's nothing there of low qualityl What is the frame tubing?
seller said it was her mothers who was an avid cyclist. definitely seems like some thought was put into the components.

full reynolds 531
Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 10-06-22, 08:18 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by Pcampeau
Nice bike! I recently picked up a Super Competition from 81 myself and it has an early Shimano 600 EX rear derailleur attached. It was explained to me by some members here that by this time the Simplex dropout derailleur hanger could accommodate any derailleur, unlike the older version which only accommodated Simplex. I agree with the poster earlier who stated the hubs look like Phil Wood hubs. They’re really very nice but be careful when cleaning them, if the red “Phil” script is still present, you can accidentally wipe it clean away with nothing but a dry rag.
nice, that's always been an issue with my older peugeots. i might see a few small specks of red on the hubs actually, but the logo is pretty much gone
Old 10-06-22, 10:45 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,360 Times in 7,195 Posts
Originally Posted by dukeofearl
looks like an 81 from the serial number. kind of cool but odd looking phil wood chp pedals.

would this derailleur hanger have been modified or did they come like this in the 80s?

...at a certain point in time, they started using rear dropouts with an integral stop on the hanger, but I don't know what year that was. I cannot tell from your photo if yours is modified or one with the original stop built in. It has the look of one that's been modified, but that's never been a big deal for me. The only one of these I've owned with the original tab on the hanger is this one, so I put Campy NR on it, because I had one. I think it's from 1980, so if yours is later than that, it probably came with the little stop.

Old 10-06-22, 11:37 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

seller said it was her mothers who was an avid cyclist. definitely seems like some thought was put into the components.

full reynolds 531
There certainly was an eye for quality in the parts chosen, and it seems to be matched in the frame spec.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 10-06-22, 01:20 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Definitely early Phil Wood hubs. The center portion of the hub is plated steel (nickel?), not aluminum, and prone to corrosion -- so if not already rusty anywhere, keep them waxed or oiled! I have a set with hi-lo flanges on the rear.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 10-06-22, 02:11 PM
dukeofearl 

Nice. I'm mulling over what to do with these. One of the rims has some rusty eyelets. Not sure if that's a big issue? But not really planning to get into tubulars either. Could sell and find something else, or remove the hubs and pair them with other rims. Open to any suggestions.

I have a couple options on hand, mavic g40 rims with mavic hubs, also a cheapo 650b set that been looking for a frame. I keep thinking I'm going to use it on other builds but end up keeping them 700c or 27.

Old 10-06-22, 06:16 PM
ehcoplex 

If it were me- & of course it ain’t- I’d check the tire clearances with 650b rims. If 42s will fit, build some 650b wheels with the Phil hubs, & keep most everything else (you’ll need different brake calipers, of course). Maybe triple the crank- longer spindle….. But I’m old & live in the land of terrible roads & lots of (steep) hills….
Old 10-06-22, 07:54 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Nice score. It looks like it was upgraded in some places, the Phil hubs are certainly a bonus.
Old 10-06-22, 11:08 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 196 Posts
It is likely that it was purchased as a frame set. This model was available that way as the “ CFX10”.
Old 10-06-22, 11:20 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
To this day one of the sharpest bikes. Their decal game was on point.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 10-06-22, 11:23 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4509 Post(s)
Liked 6,374 Times in 3,666 Posts

full reynolds 531
Moms bike, cool as ef IMO, wouldn't change a damn thing.

How many bikes do we see this well thought out by anybody?
Old 10-06-22, 11:54 PM
polymorphself 

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by sdn40
To this day one of the sharpest bikes. Their decal game was on point.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 10-07-22, 06:15 AM
Road Fan

Nice. I'm mulling over what to do with these. One of the rims has some rusty eyelets. Not sure if that's a big issue? But not really planning to get into tubulars either. Could sell and find something else, or remove the hubs and pair them with other rims. Open to any suggestions.

I have a couple options on hand, mavic g40 rims with mavic hubs, also a cheapo 650b set that been looking for a frame. I keep thinking I'm going to use it on other builds but end up keeping them 700c or 27.

My opinion is, since you have a decent wheelset with tubulars on hand, you can try the tubulars briefly and get some direct experience. At least for a basic condition check, pump up the tires pretty hard and see if they hold air and do not shed tread. Spin the wheels, see if the hubs are viable for a few rides, and if the tires look like a big snake is inside them. If they look snaky the carcass is broken and the tire is junk. That cannot be repaired. As a tubular user, you would just need to replace the tire. This does not say the rims are junk!

Next: do they hold air? After pumping up, let the wheels sit for a few days or until they are flat. In the meantime you can adjust your saddle and bars to match the fitting of your other bikes. If a tire leaks flat in an hour, it has a puncture and needs to be unsewn to be patched. Probably you don't want to do that - it's not difficult, but it is finicky and you need instructions.

If the tires seep down to about 50% pressure after one to two days and have passed the condition test, they have latex tubes and no leaks. Take a good look at the tread and see if it is coming off. If there is some tread separation you can try some repairs you can do with Shoe-Goo. I've had some good results with this, but I've only done little divots in the tread, not any large areas. Latex tubes seep air and need to be topped up typically once a day (not convenient for extended training, a tour, or commuting!). The positive sides are lighter weight, better suppleness/ride quality, and a more responsive feeling, absorbing little road vibrations. Set the pressure to about 50%, align them on the rim with your hands, pump them back up and then you can take a ride and have some direct experience with latex tubulars. I would suggest no racy-like moves since we are not doing a full gluing at this point. In my experience rolloff is very rare if the tire is on the rim straight, even without fresh glue. You're just going to take a 10 minute ride to get some experience. Watch out for bits of glass on the road glistening in the sun.

If the tires hold air pretty well after two days with no snaky lumps, you have butyl inner tubes, which could hold pressure several weeks or more. Observe the same points about tread separation, alignment on the rim, and riding gently and for not too much time, unless you love it, gain some more courage, and just wanna keep riding. Also watch out for glass on the roadway. Some tubulars are better than others at resisting flats, but I can't tell you much about that. Getting a flat bu riding over glass is not guaranteed, but it's also common and can ruin your nice day.

If you want to try out tubulars, the cheapest ones are surprisingly good, and are the Service Corse from Yellow Jersey in Wisconsin. Last time I bought some they were $15 each. I put them on my Mondonico and they are not like today's best, but they do convey the tubular experience. I do about 95 to 110 psi.

Sorry this is so long, but this is what I think you should know to try out your tubular tires before just trashing them. If you don't want to use them, most likely some of us here would consider taking them off your hands.

As far as Mavic hubs, they are decent hubs. Hoping that the frame is able to accommodate a 7-speed freewheel with 126 mm. Some are not, but I expect a better Peug frame is well-designed in this respect.

Last edited by Road Fan; 10-07-22 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-07-22, 06:51 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Nice score. It looks like it was upgraded in some places, the Phil hubs are certainly a bonus.
BTW, if the hubs need any attention, Phil Wood (the company) will do that, including things like modifying the axle length; they did on mine anyway, a few years back. Just email them with scope of refurbishment.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 10-07-22, 07:46 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by Road Fan
My opinion is, since you have a decent wheelset with tubulars on hand, you can try the tubulars briefly and get some direct experience. At least for a basic condition check, pump up the tires pretty hard and see if they hold air and do not shed tread. Spin the wheels, see if the hubs are viable for a few rides, and if the tires look like a big snake is inside them. If they look snaky the carcass is broken and the tire is junk. That cannot be repaired. As a tubular user, you would just need to replace the tire. This does not say the rims are junk!

Next: do they hold air? After pumping up, let the wheels sit for a few days or until they are flat. In the meantime you can adjust your saddle and bars to match the fitting of your other bikes. If a tire leaks flat in an hour, it has a puncture and needs to be unsewn to be patched. Probably you don't want to do that - it's not difficult, but it is finicky and you need instructions.

If the tires seep down to about 50% pressure after one to two days and have passed the condition test, they have latex tubes and no leaks. Take a good look at the tread and see if it is coming off. If there is some tread separation you can try some repairs you can do with Shoe-Goo. I've had some good results with this, but I've only done little divots in the tread, not any large areas. Latex tubes seep air and need to be topped up typically once a day (not convenient for extended training, a tour, or commuting!). The positive sides are lighter weight, better suppleness/ride quality, and a more responsive feeling, absorbing little road vibrations. Set the pressure to about 50%, align them on the rim with your hands, pump them back up and then you can take a ride and have some direct experience with latex tubulars. I would suggest no racy-like moves since we are not doing a full gluing at this point. In my experience rolloff is very rare if the tire is on the rim straight, even without fresh glue. You're just going to take a 10 minute ride to get some experience. Watch out for bits of glass on the road glistening in the sun.

If the tires hold air pretty well after two days with no snaky lumps, you have butyl inner tubes, which could hold pressure several weeks or more. Observe the same points about tread separation, alignment on the rim, and riding gently and for not too much time, unless you love it, gain some more courage, and just wanna keep riding. Also watch out for glass on the roadway. Some tubulars are better than others at resisting flats, but I can't tell you much about that. Getting a flat bu riding over glass is not guaranteed, but it's also common and can ruin your nice day.

If you want to try out tubulars, the cheapest ones are surprisingly good, and are the Service Corse from Yellow Jersey in Wisconsin. Last time I bought some they were $15 each. I put them on my Mondonico and they are not like today's best, but they do convey the tubular experience. I do about 95 to 110 psi.

Sorry this is so long, but this is what I think you should know to try out your tubular tires before just trashing them. If you don't want to use them, most likely some of us here would consider taking them off your hands.

As far as Mavic hubs, they are decent hubs. Hoping that the frame is able to accommodate a 7-speed freewheel with 126 mm. Some are not, but I expect a better Peug frame is well-designed in this respect.
thanks for taking the time to write that out - definitely worth a shot to try these out. they look old and dry rotted but why the heck not. and not sure why i'm against the idea of tubulars. i guess i'm under the impression they're high maintenance.
Old 10-07-22, 07:48 AM
dukeofearl 

Originally Posted by merziac
Moms bike, cool as ef IMO, wouldn't change a damn thing.

How many bikes do we see this well thought out by anybody?
cool mom! she also had a matsuri track bike
Likes For dukeofearl:
Old 10-07-22, 07:55 AM
Road Fan

thanks for taking the time to write that out - definitely worth a shot to try these out. they look old and dry rotted but why the heck not. and not sure why i'm against the idea of tubulars. i guess i'm under the impression they're high maintenance.
They can be, but butyls much less so. But they are a thing unto themselves, and you have a chance to explore it a little bit or a lot, with minimal new expense.
Old 10-07-22, 10:47 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5887 Post(s)
Liked 3,470 Times in 2,079 Posts
You might want to try tape rather than glue.
Likes For bikemig:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.