Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Any amputee here using MagLock pedals?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-22, 08:29 PM
cal45

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disc low step, 1999 Trek 800 Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any amputee here using MagLock pedals?

Just came across these online - would have posted the link but cannot due to forum rules

As an above knee amputee (left), I've been using a Power Grip band to keep my prosthetic on the pedal. Of course the one issue is that I cannot quickly remove my foot if I need to. Wondering if anyone has used them here and their experience with them. Thanks
Old 10-30-22, 08:36 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
That sounds like an interesting innovation, particularly for the above knee folks.

When I first started trying foot retention, I used Egg Beaters (Crank Bros). The new ones are so stiff that I had a small amount of trouble, so I traded with a MTB guy in the local club for his older ones and replaced the bearing carts. I later gained enough confidence to use SPD, but did not like that I was completely unable to get out of them without a foot on the ground and had to do so heel towards the frame. With a carbon bike and no 'feel' for how hard I was hitting it I went back to the egg beaters. The biggest aspect I don't like about the beaters is that I cannot confidently stand from the saddle to peddle. The SPD gave me that confidence. These magnetic ones would also leave me a bit fearsome of doing said without using them a while.

For the small amount of cycling I do now I just use platforms (again).

I am curious. I had to modify one of my old legs foot angle so that I can miss the crank arm without using extensions. Do you use the same leg for cycling as 'everyday' or do you have a way to adjust toe in on the fly?
Old 10-30-22, 09:38 AM
cal45

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
That sounds like an interesting innovation, particularly for the above knee folks.

When I first started trying foot retention, I used Egg Beaters (Crank Bros). The new ones are so stiff that I had a small amount of trouble, so I traded with a MTB guy in the local club for his older ones and replaced the bearing carts. I later gained enough confidence to use SPD, but did not like that I was completely unable to get out of them without a foot on the ground and had to do so heel towards the frame. With a carbon bike and no 'feel' for how hard I was hitting it I went back to the egg beaters. The biggest aspect I don't like about the beaters is that I cannot confidently stand from the saddle to peddle. The SPD gave me that confidence. These magnetic ones would also leave me a bit fearsome of doing said without using them a while.

For the small amount of cycling I do now I just use platforms (again).

I am curious. I had to modify one of my old legs foot angle so that I can miss the crank arm without using extensions. Do you use the same leg for cycling as 'everyday' or do you have a way to adjust toe in on the fly?
I actually use an older C-Leg (hydraulic doesn't work well for walking distances but it works great for cycling) - I didn't turn the foot as pedal extenders (only on my left side) work great for me. In order to put the foot in, I have to angle it in then turn back to seat in the normal position.

I may try the mag lock pedals but it also requires two bolt cycling shoes which I will have to research and buy.

Last edited by cal45; 10-30-22 at 09:40 AM. Reason: adding pic
Old 10-30-22, 09:46 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

IMO, I prefer using a "MTB" shoe as the sole of it has protrusion below the cleat and allows me to walk better as well as safer. Walking up on my toe and on a slick cleat has nearly caused me issue a few times now. Even with the MTB shoes I use, the sole itself is a bit slick on certain surfaces and a part of the reason I just switched back to flats.

As an aside, what is the brand of the extension you are using and if you don't mind, what is your approx. weight?
Old 10-30-22, 09:51 AM
cal45

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 5' 11" and at 215-220 right now.
The extenders were found on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QDGJVU...roduct_details
Likes For cal45:
Old 10-30-22, 09:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Thank you for that.

I suspect they would still be too short for me, given my toe out position. I have seen other, longer extensions but have also read reports of them breaking. There was a person on forum that was selling a home brew remedy due to this, but I never got around to purchasing one before they went non-responsive. The "other leg" solution works pretty well but it sort of stinks to walk on. In addition to turning the toe well inward, I also made it just a touch longer so that I could avoid a spot where my knee clicks during ROM when extending that small amount further.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 11-01-22, 12:25 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
If you cannot 'twist' out of PowerGrip straps you will not be able to 'twist' out of the MagLock pedals. I want not to like modern platform pedals but they work fine. And they can be as cheap or as blinged out as you want. With the Mags you are paying top dollar for extremely heavy pedals with so so bearings.
Old 11-01-22, 06:31 AM
cal45

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
If you cannot 'twist' out of PowerGrip straps you will not be able to 'twist' out of the MagLock pedals. I want not to like modern platform pedals but they work fine. And they can be as cheap or as blinged out as you want. With the Mags you are paying top dollar for extremely heavy pedals with so so bearings.
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking that as an above knee amputee, I will not need to twist - just lift my thigh (with effort of course) to disengage. As for pedal weight, makes no difference to me as I ride for exercise and not any race/marathon type situations were weight is a factor.
Old 11-01-22, 09:31 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by cal45
Thanks for the response. I'm thinking that as an above knee amputee, I will not need to twist - just lift my thigh (with effort of course) to disengage. As for pedal weight, makes no difference to me as I ride for exercise and not any race/marathon type situations were weight is a factor.
You need a twist of some kind to get out of the MagLocks. Even set for minimal grip, the magnets have their strongest pull straight on. Platforms with pins seem ideal for your situation.
Old 11-01-22, 02:32 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
You need a twist of some kind to get out of the MagLocks. Even set for minimal grip, the magnets have their strongest pull straight on. Platforms with pins seem ideal for your situation.
Not to answer for OP as he is above knee...my own issue with platforms in general is that without feel in your foot and no ankle for correction there is a tendency to move around on the platform while pedaling and this exacerbates when having a fast cadence. I can only imagine it magnifying even more without a knee to feel what is going on. I would imagine that foot retention for that condition is even more important.
Old 01-16-23, 10:01 AM
Champy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank for info
Old 05-29-23, 10:34 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I tried Sportheo City Pedals earlier this year. These are magnet pedals that use 2-bolt cleats.
I ended up not liking them.
Sportheo has 2 models of pedal - the City Pedals allow some rotation to happen when the cleat magnets into the pedal. The Shark pedals do not allow for any rotation of the cleat.
I wasn't able to figure out a good position for my cleated shoe to securely meet the pedal (on left side, below knee prosthesis). Sometimes I was securely clipped in, and sometimes I wasn't.
https://www.sporthopeo.fr/products/p...emi-magnetique I installed 1 stop-screw in the front of pedal - I didn't try installing only 1 screw at the back, or installing no stop screws - one of those options might have made this work better for me. I also wished that the 'cleat' plates in the shoes were thinner - even in MTB shoes I was scraping up the cleats when not on the bike. While trying these for about 6 weeks.
The magnet is strong, and it does take a practiced motion to disengage.
You can disengage by moving a knee outward (while not rolling ankle) until there's enough bend at the shoe to release the pedal, or you can wiggle the foot outward sideways until the magnet stops holding.