Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tell me something unusual you bring on tours.

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tell me something unusual you bring on tours.

Old 12-03-15, 05:55 AM
  #51  
gerryl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Sometimes in the winter I'll bring along a small pair of snowshoes.
gerryl is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 11:41 AM
  #52  
rifraf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 974

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
I often get strange looks from weight weenies when I pull out my chair on tour.
Its a little luxury I wouldn't be without and its extra weight and bulk means nothing to me compared to its off the ground comfort.
As you get closer to fifty it becomes harder to get up off the ground is my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

https://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-chair-one.php
rifraf is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 01:19 PM
  #53  
staehpj1 
Senior Member
 
staehpj1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 10,621
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
As you get closer to fifty it becomes harder to get up off the ground is my excuse and I'm sticking with it.
Good thing I am getting further and further from fifty.
__________________
Check out my profile, articles, and trip journals at:
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/staehpj1
staehpj1 is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 01:40 PM
  #54  
imi
aka Timi
 
imi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Posts: 3,095

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 58 Posts
Tell me something unusual you bring on tours.

Haha! staehpj1
imi is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 03:33 PM
  #55  
robow
Senior Member
 
robow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,685
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
Maybe he was in love with the teddy bear all along and the girlfriend was just baggage.
good one !

oh and Rowan let me get this straight, you're going to make a boot out of a boot......that's genius : )
robow is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 04:09 PM
  #56  
Squeezebox
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,077
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
+1 for killing a beeper, -1 for littering. Repurpose it into art or something. Give it a second life!

I carry half of a dollar bill. I used the other half for a tire boot. This half is for a second tire boot... someday.

Most of my winter cycling gear is pretty technical, with the exception of a handmade cashmere scarf I bought new at a local shop for $30. Very luxurious, with a fringe, dark green plaid. I thought $30 was a lot for a scarf, but judging by the amount of use it is getting, I underpaid.
You must look lovely in it. HaHa!
Squeezebox is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 04:17 PM
  #57  
hueyhoolihan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Above ground, Walnut Creek, Ca
Posts: 6,681

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by robow View Post
good one !

oh and Rowan let me get this straight, you're going to make a boot out of a boot......that's genius : )
Kramer's coffee table, coffee table book...

hueyhoolihan is offline  
Old 12-03-15, 10:44 PM
  #58  
rawklobster
Senior Member
 
rawklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 290

Bikes: Brompton M6R Raw, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, ICE Trike with Rohloff (SOLD) - Pacific Coast Highway

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
I often get strange looks from weight weenies when I pull out my chair on tour.
Its a little luxury I wouldn't be without and its extra weight and bulk means nothing to me compared to its off the ground comfort.
As you get closer to fifty it becomes harder to get up off the ground is my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

https://www.helinox.com.au/helinox-chair-one.php
I'm getting a Chair One! I couldn't get over how comfortable it was when I tried one at MEC. So small, so light, and super comfy!
rawklobster is offline  
Old 12-04-15, 04:53 AM
  #59  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 894

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock View Post
a violin.
I can't figure out how to take my bass on my first tour in January. I play bass guitar, but I'd love to get a picture of me on my touring bike, with full panniers while holding a double bass. I think it would be a hysterical picture.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-04-15, 05:07 AM
  #60  
saddlesores
Senior Member
 
saddlesores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangkok...and....Hainan
Posts: 3,400

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
...how to take my bass....
Matt's Music Blog: Bicycle Trailer for Double Bass & Amp
https://amsterdamcyclechic.wordpress...y-double-bass/
Oh, the places you?ll go ? by bike, hauling an enormous double-bass behind you | The Seattle Times

or did you mean the fish?
saddlesores is offline  
Old 12-04-15, 05:19 AM
  #61  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 894

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 117 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed.
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-04-15, 06:19 AM
  #62  
mantelclock
Senior Moment
 
mantelclock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 188

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob View Post
I can't figure out how to take my bass on my first tour in January. I play bass guitar, but I'd love to get a picture of me on my touring bike, with full panniers while holding a double bass. I think it would be a hysterical picture.
You could take an Ashbory Bass. 18" scale. But you might have difficulty with the Ampeg.
mantelclock is offline  
Old 12-04-15, 11:32 PM
  #63  
Teamdarb
Senior Member
 
Teamdarb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 83

Bikes: 94' Barracuda A2M, 83 Ross 294 signature, 93 MB3, '87 BS 300 mixte, '86 420, '12 Trek 520, 92 720 and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A stainless dog bowl. It just has so many great uses. And, over found pet owners are more accepting of offers to hydrate their animals if it is offered in a "dog" bowl.
Teamdarb is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 01:19 AM
  #64  
rifraf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Perth Australia
Posts: 974

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Extrawheel Trailer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamdarb View Post
A stainless dog bowl. It just has so many great uses. And, over found pet owners are more accepting of offers to hydrate their animals if it is offered in a "dog" bowl.
You win! LOL
Or at least that one gets my vote
rifraf is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 01:25 AM
  #65  
eastbay71
Senior Member
 
eastbay71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 691

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My backpacker bong or sneak-a-toke. Hey it's purely medical...I have a perscription
eastbay71 is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 03:44 AM
  #66  
Squeezebox
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,077
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by eastbay71 View Post
My backpacker bong or sneak-a-toke. Hey it's purely medical...I have a perscription

If you're in a state that does not have medical marijuana is your prescription valid?
Squeezebox is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 03:57 AM
  #67  
tmac100
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coimbra, Portugal
Posts: 965

Bikes: More bicycles than I can ride at one time: 2 custom made tourers, a Brompton 6-speed, and an Indian-made roadster.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox View Post
If you're in a state that does not have medical marijuana is your prescription valid?
It doesn't matter if you have enough of a supply that you don't need to buy any in that state. Speaking of prescription drugs, I ALWAYS carry plenty of insulin so that I don't have to buy any in some country. I still remember 30+ years ago and having to buy insulin in London without a prescription. Sheesh - the British paperwork. Would have been easier to go into a coma and then be placed into a British hospital! I am joking about the hospital and getting into a coma, but getting insulin without a prescription in London in 1975 was a HUGE pain ...

Carry extra prescription grade MJ - you won't have a hassle Trust me, I AM a doctor.
tmac100 is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 04:44 AM
  #68  
elcruxio
Senior Member
 
elcruxio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Turku, Finland, Europe
Posts: 2,011

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 448 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by tmac100 View Post
It doesn't matter if you have enough of a supply that you don't need to buy any in that state. Speaking of prescription drugs, I ALWAYS carry plenty of insulin so that I don't have to buy any in some country. I still remember 30+ years ago and having to buy insulin in London without a prescription. Sheesh - the British paperwork. Would have been easier to go into a coma and then be placed into a British hospital! I am joking about the hospital and getting into a coma, but getting insulin without a prescription in London in 1975 was a HUGE pain ...

Carry extra prescription grade MJ - you won't have a hassle Trust me, I AM a doctor.
Good thing Europe nowdays employs the Euro-prescription which allows one to get prescription drugs with one prescription in every EU country. Don't plan on carrying a full 4 month supply for our oncoming tour. I'll buy insulin monthly so it doesn't go bad (summer europe, keeping it even room temperature is going to be a nightmare) and I won't have to stress about running out.
elcruxio is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 05:51 AM
  #69  
Bassmanbob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Treasure Coast, FL
Posts: 894

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock View Post
You could take an Ashbory Bass. 18" scale. But you might have difficulty with the Ampeg.
No rubber band basses for me, but the new cabinets and d class amps are so powerful and light!
Bassmanbob is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 09:38 AM
  #70  
Ramblin Man
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I carry,a small camera I got out of a gumball machine,many many years ago.
Ramblin Man is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 03:05 PM
  #71  
Squeezebox
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,077
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mantelclock View Post
You could take an Ashbory Bass. 18" scale. But you might have difficulty with the Ampeg.
Any advice on bringing an accordion??
Squeezebox is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 03:20 PM
  #72  
Squeezebox
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,077
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by elcruxio View Post
Good thing Europe nowdays employs the Euro-prescription which allows one to get prescription drugs with one prescription in every EU country. Don't plan on carrying a full 4 month supply for our oncoming tour. I'll buy insulin monthly so it doesn't go bad (summer europe, keeping it even room temperature is going to be a nightmare) and I won't have to stress about running out.
You raise a good point. But how to get my American prescription set up with Euro-prescription? I wonder about issues with Latin America, Asia, Africa. Now-a-days you can get a fax to just about any fair sized city in the world. Your experience?
Squeezebox is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 04:18 PM
  #73  
mantelclock
Senior Moment
 
mantelclock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 188

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox View Post
Any advice on bringing an accordion??
Sure, bring a concertina.
mantelclock is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 04:56 PM
  #74  
Squeezebox
Banned.
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,077
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mantelclock View Post
Sure, bring a concertina.
But seriously, Accordions and concertinas (free reed insturments) are about as non-waterproof as you can get. The bellows are made of cardboard and tape. Reeds could rust shut. A decent one is $1-2 K . I guess I'll be stuck with an MP3 player, and listening to the folks with Ukes.
Squeezebox is offline  
Old 12-05-15, 09:21 PM
  #75  
eastbay71
Senior Member
 
eastbay71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 691

Bikes: the bikes own me

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox View Post
If you're in a state that does not have medical marijuana is your prescription valid?

No, My perscription isn't even valid in states that also have legalized medicinal MJ but living in California I find that I primarily travel to states that have now legalized recreational use like Oregon and Washington. I did make the mistake of getting pulled over in Nevada once with a small amount which resulted in a $1000 fine! Ouch
eastbay71 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.