Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Pedros tire levers

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pedros tire levers

Old 07-28-20, 05:51 PM
  #1  
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'
Thread Starter
 
hybridbkrdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,863
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Pedros tire levers

Just a heads up if anyone wants thicker, wider tire levers. I know Schwalbe seems to have changed their tolerances because I know the Schwalbe Land Cruiser is medium-fitting in my opinion but yesterday I took off (with a considerable amount of force) some tight Schwalbe 26" Ranger Cruiser tires on some Rhyno Lite rims. It was EXTREMELY tight and the only time in my life I had tires installed at a bike shop. Anyway, let's see if I can add a picture. (By the way, the Maxxis Overdrive Excel tires were loose-fitting so I was able to install them myself on the Rhyno Lites even though it took some effort.) (This is not a paid ad, just grateful I got them.)

Pedros tire levers
hybridbkrdr is offline  
Old 07-28-20, 05:55 PM
  #2  
Pop N Wood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,163

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 287 Posts
Pedros makes some good stuff.

I have a pair of steel Park Tool irons for emergencies.
Pop N Wood is offline  
Old 07-28-20, 06:32 PM
  #3  
freeranger
Senior Member
 
freeranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 2,202

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 288 Posts
If levers don't work, could always try a tire bead jack:
freeranger is offline  
Likes For freeranger:
Old 07-28-20, 07:23 PM
  #4  
Amber1988
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Taiwan
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This tire lever can work with 1/4" tool bits

Amber1988 is offline  
Old 07-28-20, 07:27 PM
  #5  
GlennR
On Your Left
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 8,364

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3000 Post(s)
Liked 2,421 Times in 1,183 Posts
Personally, I like the Park plastic levers.
GlennR is offline  
Old 07-28-20, 07:28 PM
  #6  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,742

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2804 Post(s)
Liked 1,961 Times in 1,300 Posts
At one of the shops I managed I had mechanics start dating each Pedros lever because it felt like they were going through a pair a week. I prefer to use the Crank Brothers Speedier Lever. Way easier to use no harm to the knuckles and has an install side for those tougher beads. I rarely need two levers from them and my personal main use lever is now 7 years old or so.
veganbikes is offline  
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 07-28-20, 11:59 PM
  #7  
katsup
Senior Member
 
katsup's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,626

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter v1, Cotic SolarisMax, 1990 Bianchi Grizzly, 1995 ParkPre Pro 825

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
At one of the shops I managed I had mechanics start dating each Pedros lever because it felt like they were going through a pair a week. I prefer to use the Crank Brothers Speedier Lever. Way easier to use no harm to the knuckles and has an install side for those tougher beads. I rarely need two levers from them and my personal main use lever is now 7 years old or so.
I'm with you on the Crank Brothers Speedier. I no longer fear a tight fitting tire unless I am on a ride and don't have it with me. Plus no sore thumbs from trying to get the tire on.
katsup is offline  
Likes For katsup:
Old 07-29-20, 01:41 AM
  #8  
Toespeas
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
at home i just use a lonf wide flat head screw driver wrapped in electrical tape , best tire lever i have , on the road i carry a metal lever and a plastic one both from wal mart extra cheap !!
Toespeas is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 05:17 AM
  #9  
Pop N Wood
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,163

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
If levers don't work, could always try a tire bead jack:
Anyone have any luck with one of these? Got one cause it looked like a great tool, but the couple of times I tried to use it didn't work out so well. IIRC could never get the hook end to stay on the edge of the bead. Ended up going back to just thumbs.
Pop N Wood is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 06:23 AM
  #10  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,195

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 878 Posts
No matter the lever, keeping the tire in the rim bed where you aren't currently working on it is key. Sometimes you think it is, but it isn't. Then I'll see that and fix it by putting it back in the bed, and it gives me that bit extra.

I use the pedros. Usually just to get em off quicker. Working the tire into the bed usually makes it so I can get it with fingers. Well, if the fingers as dripping in sweat on a hot day.......back to pedros!
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 07-29-20, 07:30 AM
  #11  
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 7,003

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 801 Posts
Back when I started, tire levers were chromed steel. Plastic wouldn't have been considered by anyone.

Fast forward 45 years, and you find that Pedro's levers are indeed the best lever made. No question.

I also have two of the Crank Brothers Speedier, a useful tool for quick re-seating of the second bead. And I have a KoolStop tire bead jack that I carry on my commuter because Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are difficult to change/mount. Fortunately, flats are rare with those tires.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-29-20, 06:00 PM
  #12  
wipekitty
vespertine member
 
wipekitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Land of Angora, Turkey
Posts: 2,476

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 163 Posts
I'm also a fan of the Pedros levers for stiff, nasty, wire bead tires. I've broken my share of tire levers, but my first pair of Pedros is still going strong. (And they're pink, so everyone knows that they're tough.)
wipekitty is offline  
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-30-20, 09:56 AM
  #13  
Chuckles1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Foothills of West Central Maine
Posts: 377

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
Anyone have any luck with one of these? Got one cause it looked like a great tool, but the couple of times I tried to use it didn't work out so well. IIRC could never get the hook end to stay on the edge of the bead. Ended up going back to just thumbs.
First time I tried it on a new foldable Conti Gatorskin it bent my rim and didn't get the tire on. Granted it was an old rim with worn brake surfaces, but still disappointing. The incident did teach me the virtues of soapy water, which is how I finally got the bugger on, with my thumbs!
Chuckles1 is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 12:26 PM
  #14  
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero
 
Digger Goreman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Stone Mountain, GA (Metro Atlanta, East)
Posts: 1,139

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 271 Posts
I have an old mtb, much easier tire repair than roadies, but when seeing a brand new pair of Pedros in a thrift store for $1.99....
Digger Goreman is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 01:13 PM
  #15  
Eric S.
Senior Member
 
Eric S.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 929

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood View Post
Anyone have any luck with one of these? Got one cause it looked like a great tool, but the couple of times I tried to use it didn't work out so well. IIRC could never get the hook end to stay on the edge of the bead. Ended up going back to just thumbs.
I bought one a few years ago but have rarely used it, mostly because when I end up with tight tires I don't buy them again. It does work well for me.
Eric S. is offline  
Old 07-30-20, 08:54 PM
  #16  
greatscott
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Indiana
Posts: 540

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz View Post
Back when I started, tire levers were chromed steel. Plastic wouldn't have been considered by anyone.

Fast forward 45 years, and you find that Pedro's levers are indeed the best lever made. No question.

I also have two of the Crank Brothers Speedier, a useful tool for quick re-seating of the second bead. And I have a KoolStop tire bead jack that I carry on my commuter because Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires are difficult to change/mount. Fortunately, flats are rare with those tires.
So you started road biking 43 years ago? so that was in 1975, correct? I started myself in 1976, in 1976 I bought my first road bike, a Trek TX900, and with that Trek I bought my first flat repair kit with tire irons...mine was made of aluminum. Aluminum tire levers came out because of aluminum rims, and the steel would damage the rims. Aluminum rims go back to 1937, but I can't find when aluminum tire levers first come came out, but they've had to be out for a long time due to aluminum rims. There were chrome steel levers as you mentioned but those were used on chrome steel rims, so were you riding on steel chrome wheels back in the mid 70's?

Tire lever wise I have a 1/2 set of Pedros, one broke due to being used in cold weather, a problem with plastic. I use Soma steel core levers, they're not quite as bulky as the Pedros but far stronger, they can't crack in the cold because they can't flex. Another tire lever I use is the VAR, extremely good at putting on very tough tires, and it can fit in a standard seat bag.
greatscott is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 02:57 PM
  #17  
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen
 
Phil_gretz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fair Oaks Ranch, TX
Posts: 7,003

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '16 Motobecane Gran Premio Elite, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1459 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 801 Posts
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
So you started road biking 43 years ago? so that was in 1975, correct? I started myself in 1976, in 1976 I bought my first road bike, a Trek TX900, and with that Trek I bought my first flat repair kit with tire irons...mine was made of aluminum. Aluminum tire levers came out because of aluminum rims, and the steel would damage the rims. Aluminum rims go back to 1937, but I can't find when aluminum tire levers first come came out, but they've had to be out for a long time due to aluminum rims. There were chrome steel levers as you mentioned but those were used on chrome steel rims, so were you riding on steel chrome wheels back in the mid 70's?
I did ride on chrome rims on two bikes the early 70s. On my Mercier, I had a set of alloy rims strung using the Normandy hubs. I didn't realize that I could have done it myself. Yes, I started in 1972/3 or so.
Phil_gretz is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 03:24 PM
  #18  
hillyman
WALSTIB
 
hillyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,798
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 381 Times in 183 Posts

Schwalbe tires can only be removed with Schwalbe tire levers dummkopf
__________________
www.bikeleague.org

hillyman is offline  
Old 08-02-20, 09:22 PM
  #19  
Joe Bikerider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Walnut Creek, CA
Posts: 623

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 181 Posts
If you want to read about how Schwalbe feels about some rims and tires being harder to mount and how you can deal with it then read here:https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tech

Itís an amazingly detailed document covering the company and itís products Did you know they make a fluid called ďEasy FitĒ that can help ? Also they talk about tried and true techniques like holding down a section of the tire with a toe strap or zip tie while working on it Highly recommended.

BTW, that little brochure that we all throw away when unwrapping a tire was where I got that link. Enjoy.

Last edited by Joe Bikerider; 08-02-20 at 09:26 PM.
Joe Bikerider is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 07:18 AM
  #20  
MattTheHat 
Senior Member
 
MattTheHat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Allen, TX
Posts: 2,125

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 2,861 Times in 995 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider View Post
If you want to read about how Schwalbe feels about some rims and tires being harder to mount and how you can deal with it then read here:https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tech

Itís an amazingly detailed document covering the company and itís products Did you know they make a fluid called ďEasy FitĒ that can help ? Also they talk about tried and true techniques like holding down a section of the tire with a toe strap or zip tie while working on it Highly recommended.

BTW, that little brochure that we all throw away when unwrapping a tire was where I got that link. Enjoy.
Ive been using home made Easy Fit for years. A little something I call soapy water.
MattTheHat is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 07:24 AM
  #21  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33,782
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15339 Post(s)
Liked 9,115 Times in 4,503 Posts
indyfabz is offline  
Old 08-03-20, 07:25 AM
  #22  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33,782
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15339 Post(s)
Liked 9,115 Times in 4,503 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty View Post
(And they're pink, so everyone knows that they're tough.)
I have pink ones in my road bike bag. Yellow ones I my touring bike bag.
indyfabz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.