Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hitch Rack Recommendation?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hitch Rack Recommendation?

Old 12-08-21, 01:28 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 410 Posts
I figured there was an allen wrench like that out there.

1up supplies a locking hitch pin but it's kind of chintzy and looks like it could easily be cut. So when I bought the rack my hitch pin lock and two wheel locks https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-locks-qtr-turn/ are all keyed alike. When I inquired about getting two more wheel locks they told me they couldn't key the new ones to match the ones I ordered. Dumb. All you need to do is keep track of the key code on the orders.
Old 12-08-21, 02:07 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71 View Post
When I inquired about getting two more wheel locks they told me they couldn't key the new ones to match the ones I ordered. Dumb. All you need to do is keep track of the key code on the orders.
Yes, it'd be nice if they let you request a specific key code and it's annoying they don't. Though let's also remember that'd mean they'd need to maintain stock of every different keycode they've used in the past.

While Yakima and Kuat do this, they seem to just have twenty five or fewer codes in use... making it pretty simple for a pro thief to just walk up to your rack with a keyring and have your bike in a hurry.

My guess is 1UP is getting batches of locks from their supplier and maybe doesn't repeat keycodes with new batches. In one sense that's some enhanced security, though in another sense a few tools or an angle grinder and the locks are irrelevant. I'd imagine company size may have some bearing on the differences in how 1UP does this vs the big players.

At least 1UP does sell just the lock portion - and you could buy three locks to match any new ones you bought and have everything keyed the same. Multiples get a discount so it'd be $33 for three locks in addition to the new ones you were to order.
Old 12-10-21, 01:22 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 94 Posts
I recommend making sure you can get your old hitch out before buying a hitch rack.

Old 12-10-21, 02:30 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 150 Posts
Kuat Sherpa 2 is only 33 pounds. I really like the light weight. It's hanging on two hooks on my garage wall. I can install it on the car in 30 seconds. It's great for two road bikes, fast and secure to load and unload bikes. It comes with a low security cable lock, suitable for quick stops. But cables are too easy to cut, so I wouldn't leave it out of sight for a longer time.

For longer stops, I bought some Abus 10mm chain with a cloth covering sleeve, sold by the foot. And a lock for it. I used a rope to see how long I'd need to go through two bikes and down to the car's underbody. 9 feet. That's about 20 pounds, I think. It stays in an inexpensive Harbor Freight canvas bag, very convenient.
Old 12-10-21, 06:15 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 494 Posts
Agree. They have some nice features built in that 1up should have had on theirs. But $600 for one bike or $1000 for two bikes is a tough pill to swallow.

On the 1up (I have the Super Duty Model)...

1.) It's stupid that you have to reach under the rack and grab the bar to tilt the rack. But for an extra $70 you can buy their EZ-Pull Accessory!!! https://www.1up-usa.com/product/ez-pull/

2.) It's stupid that you have to use their hitch pin. A standard hitch pin doesn't work because of how they designed their anti-sway mechanism. Plus their anti-sway mechanism requires a special tool.

3.) The rack should come standard with the fat bike spacers and fit all other bikes tire sizes like the Quickr rack does.
Single racks are less than 500 if you get the slide, but I bought the the single heavy duty for $395 at the beginning of the year. Loved it so much, I bought the 2nd bike option for 230, while still not cheap, it's a damn nice rack and price wise is on par with others. The beauty is that the single only weighs 23 lbs, the add on is like 18. I can separate the 2 if I am only hauling 1 bike.

The only time the rack bar is a problem is if you have 2 add on racks, that is sort of a pain, but otherwises it easy peasy simple and not an issue. Also, the rack comes with 2 of the "special tools" which is an allen key with a hollowed out core which adds a bit of security to the bolt so anyone with a standard allen key can't take the rack if you do not have it locked. The anti sway does not interfere with the hitch pin since it comes with a locking hitch pin anyway.

Not all bike racks fit every bike tire size, most companies have had to design specific racks to handle fat tire bike and e-bikes, so not sure why this is an issue.

Old 12-10-21, 06:22 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7, Trek Emonda ALR 6, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 494 Posts
I figured there was an allen wrench like that out there.

1up supplies a locking hitch pin but it's kind of chintzy and looks like it could easily be cut. So when I bought the rack my hitch pin lock and two wheel locks https://www.1up-usa.com/product/wheel-locks-qtr-turn/ are all keyed alike. When I inquired about getting two more wheel locks they told me they couldn't key the new ones to match the ones I ordered. Dumb. All you need to do is keep track of the key code on the orders.
Yea, I am with you on this one. I was going to check with a locksmith about matching them up, but I got a check back from my insurance company since we are not driving as much and I just used some of those funds to buy new locks and gave my old locks to my son for something he was building. Although, I think you would really have to work at it to cut it off on truck. It fits really tight.

Old 12-11-21, 07:04 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by jaxgtr View Post
Not all bike racks fit every bike tire size, most companies have had to design specific racks to handle fat tire bike and e-bikes, so not sure why this is an issue.
The Thule XT does and so does the QuickRack. 1up you have to buy the spacer kit for fat...which in all honesty...I think the fat spacer it will fit all tire sizes.

E-bikes are different issue because of their weight. Most racks have a bike weight limit of 40-50lbs. A lot of e-bikes exceed 50 lbs.
Old 12-11-21, 08:08 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Good point regarding ebikes. Kuat NV 2.0 and 1UP Super Duty (single & double) are adequately rated (60# & 75# respectively, and I'm sure Yakima and Thule have appropriate models as well. They're of course a bit more expensive than the 40-50lb rated racks.
Old 12-12-21, 11:46 AM
NatusEstInSuht

Bikes: 1970's Piasentin Super Vitus 971, 1979 Carlton Professional, 2005 Trek 5000, 2011 Niner EMD, 2018 Argon 18 XRoad, 1990 Diamondback Master TG Centurion

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 55 Posts
I love my Saris Superclamp EX 2. I use it for all my bikes, including carbon fibre ones as it clamps the wheels, instead of the frame.

It's lightweight, compact, doesn't obscure the licence plate too much and is easy to store when not in use. I've taken 1,000km journeys with it and my bikes have always arrived at their destinations securely.

https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2

https://carsrcoffins.com/words/posts...-2-is-a-champ/
Likes For NatusEstInSuht:
Old 12-12-21, 01:38 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 465 Times in 301 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf View Post
Kuat Sherpa 2 is only 33 pounds. I really like the light weight. It's hanging on two hooks on my garage wall. I can install it on the car in 30 seconds. It's great for two road bikes, fast and secure to load and unload bikes. It comes with a low security cable lock, suitable for quick stops. But cables are too easy to cut, so I wouldn't leave it out of sight for a longer time.

For longer stops, I bought some Abus 10mm chain with a cloth covering sleeve, sold by the foot. And a lock for it. I used a rope to see how long I'd need to go through two bikes and down to the car's underbody. 9 feet. That's about 20 pounds, I think. It stays in an inexpensive Harbor Freight canvas bag, very convenient.
If you want something fancier to hang that Kuat:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 12-13-21, 09:41 AM
prj71

It would be much cheaper to buy something this and mount it to a stud on the garage wall...

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-7003...9409977&sr=8-5