Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Car Rack for e-Bike

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Car Rack for e-Bike

Old 12-16-21, 10:20 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Car Rack for e-Bike

So my wife is eagerly awaiting the delivery of her new e-Bike. A Ride-1-Up 700 series. She'd like to transport it on her car. It's advertised weight is 62 lbs(!!). We currently have a Kuat Sherpa 2 rack for the car. I reached out to Kuat and they do not recommend using that rack for a 62 lb bike.
I'm looking at other options, but holy cow are they expensive.
What are other folks using to transport your e-bike? Are there any other good, reliable option other than Yakima, Tule, Kuat, etc that are easier on the wallet?
Or should I just plan on skipping a few lunches?
Old 12-16-21, 12:27 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
My daughter has a 1 UP, which can carry two 75 pound bikes AFAICR, but may be in the higher price range.
Old 12-16-21, 01:05 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
So my wife is eagerly awaiting the delivery of her new e-Bike. A Ride-1-Up 700 series. She'd like to transport it on her car. It's advertised weight is 62 lbs(!!). We currently have a Kuat Sherpa 2 rack for the car. I reached out to Kuat and they do not recommend using that rack for a 62 lb bike.
I'm looking at other options, but holy cow are they expensive.
What are other folks using to transport your e-bike? Are there any other good, reliable option other than Yakima, Tule, Kuat, etc that are easier on the wallet?
Or should I just plan on skipping a few lunches?
And dinners! You/she will probably need something with a ramp to load that hefty beast.
Old 12-20-21, 08:23 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
Maybe a second job, if your vehicle doesn't have a Class II hitch. A Class 1 is rated for 200 lbs, tongue weight, but that's right at the end of the hitch. A rack is like 40 pounds, and your bike makes it 100 pounds. Seems OK, but all that weight is at least one foot past the hitch, and the leverage effect makes it feel like close to 200 pounds on the hitch.,Conservative ratings on the hitch are what allows people to carry their ebikes, but don't count on it.
Old 12-20-21, 06:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
I would make sure you have the proper hitch as Doc_Wui was mentioning and get a Thule EasyFold XT. Is it is a cheap rack, no, is it a actual practical rack for loading and carrying heavy e-bikes and bike like mopeds, yes. It also stores nicely and is easy to deal with off the car as it has wheels at the bottom and handles when folded so you can just wheel it around. Not to mention the ramp for easy loading of bikes. You can throw away money at cheaper options and in some cases struggle and strain to load stuff or just make it harder on yourself or just go for the EasyFold and save yourself the hassle.