Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Can We Really Prevent the E-bike Theft?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Can We Really Prevent the E-bike Theft?

Old 12-15-21, 01:42 PM
  #26  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
On some of the ebike forums there is some speculation that ebikes will replace cars for shorter distance errands and commuting. I think this is wrong for a number of reasons but one of the major ones is theft.
The average ebike is worth more than the average commuter bike and given the ebike market these days, they are enticing targets for thieves.
Some places in Europe you see covered, guarded parking lots for bikes. You pay a small fee, you get a ticket for your bike and you redeem it to claim, just like a coat check.
I have never seen one of these in North America, in deed most bicycle parking is pathetic in terms of security and convenience.
The local MEC has bike parking right outside the front door, but it is a notorious place for bike theft. They are always encouraging people to leave their cars at home, to take public transportation or ride their bikes.
Yet they provide nothing to make it safe, no security camera, no check in, nothing. They are willing to pay lip service to cyclists but not willing to do anything for security.
Businesses and municipalities could do more to help keep your bicycle secure, but they don't.

My ebike is an ugly conversion, I always take the battery off and lock it with a kryptonite and have been lucky so far.
skookum is offline  
Likes For skookum:
Old 12-15-21, 02:36 PM
  #27  
linberl
Senior Member
 
linberl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,199

Bikes: 2017 BF pakiT & Dahon Mu Uno (both for sale); current ride - Trident Spike trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum View Post
On some of the ebike forums there is some speculation that ebikes will replace cars for shorter distance errands and commuting. I think this is wrong for a number of reasons but one of the major ones is theft.
The average ebike is worth more than the average commuter bike and given the ebike market these days, they are enticing targets for thieves.
Some places in Europe you see covered, guarded parking lots for bikes. You pay a small fee, you get a ticket for your bike and you redeem it to claim, just like a coat check.
I have never seen one of these in North America, in deed most bicycle parking is pathetic in terms of security and convenience.
The local MEC has bike parking right outside the front door, but it is a notorious place for bike theft. They are always encouraging people to leave their cars at home, to take public transportation or ride their bikes.
Yet they provide nothing to make it safe, no security camera, no check in, nothing. They are willing to pay lip service to cyclists but not willing to do anything for security.
Businesses and municipalities could do more to help keep your bicycle secure, but they don't.

My ebike is an ugly conversion, I always take the battery off and lock it with a kryptonite and have been lucky so far.
The Bart transit stations in the Bay Area have BikeLink lockers. 5 cents per hour, secure locked parking. Also a couple Bart stations have staffed parking like you described, and one even houses a repair shop. It's possible and can work really well. Communities just have
to commit to making it happen (along with better infrastructure). I love the BikeLInk lockers and wish they had them everywhere - if they did I might not have bought a folding bike I can take into places..
linberl is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 08:58 AM
  #28  
2old
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: socal
Posts: 3,385
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 345 Posts
When I used my "e" for errands (bank, bike shop, market.), I was able to take it inside the establishment and watch it while shopping. COVID stopped those activities since I had everything delivered for awhile. Now, I'm in a more urban area and the few trips are mostly by car.
2old is offline  
Old 12-16-21, 10:22 AM
  #29  
skookum
cyclotourist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: calgary, canada
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl View Post
The Bart transit stations in the Bay Area have BikeLink lockers. 5 cents per hour, secure locked parking. Also a couple Bart stations have staffed parking like you described, and one even houses a repair shop. It's possible and can work really well. Communities just have
to commit to making it happen (along with better infrastructure). I love the BikeLInk lockers and wish they had them everywhere - if they did I might not have bought a folding bike I can take into places..
That is encouraging to hear about that kind of thing. Here at the CTrain stations there are racks for bikes but no lockers or security.
skookum is offline  
Old 12-17-21, 12:54 AM
  #30  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
That would be a good solution. Thanks for your reply.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 12-17-21, 08:33 PM
  #31  
Lastmohecken
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 35

Bikes: CB4 COGBURN FAT TIRE MOUNTAIN BIKE, with severe modifications

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My lifestyle does not lend itself to shopping or even errands on a bike, or commuting, but if it did, I think I would fabricate couple of shoes to lock the wheels up, and also have a built in pad lock shroud on it to eliminate the use of bolt cutters being used. A battery powered grinder with a zip cut wheel on it, would still be a possible threat, but with a shoe on each wheel it would take a little while to do. Of course they could still pick it up and throw it in the back of a truck, or maybe carry it off.
Lastmohecken is offline  
Old 12-17-21, 11:10 PM
  #32  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastmohecken View Post
My lifestyle does not lend itself to shopping or even errands on a bike, or commuting, but if it did, I think I would fabricate couple of shoes to lock the wheels up, and also have a built in pad lock shroud on it to eliminate the use of bolt cutters being used. A battery powered grinder with a zip cut wheel on it, would still be a possible threat, but with a shoe on each wheel it would take a little while to do. Of course they could still pick it up and throw it in the back of a truck, or maybe carry it off.
They have disc brake locks and some have an alarm system as well. Using an angle grinder that close to the disc/rotor and spokes could be an issue.
kahn is offline  
Old 12-18-21, 07:31 AM
  #33  
JayKay3000
Senior Member
 
JayKay3000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
The infrastructure isn't setup for human powered bicycles, let alone ebikes in most cities.

Investment from city planners needs to be put into infrastructure that human powered bicycles as well as ebikes can be a viable option for many errands in a city rather than a car.
JayKay3000 is offline  
Old 12-19-21, 03:08 PM
  #34  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by AOSTIRMOTOR View Post
Yeah, considering this, folding bike would be a better choice.
Folding bikes tend to be heavy so they are solution for traveling by train or for those with very little space as home for storing a regular bicycle. The Blix Vika+ Flex weighs a little under 55 lbs and still a hefty 47 lbs with the battery pack removed. It is also a 7-speed bike designed for city use.
Calsun is offline  
Old 12-20-21, 11:57 PM
  #35  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
You're right. Bike infrastructures are of equal importance.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 12-24-21, 03:29 PM
  #36  
Tpsfoto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Henderson NV (Las Vegas area)
Posts: 72

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Of course a quality bike lock is key…. I just put on Pinhead skewers and seat post lock system…. Seems fine…. Anyone have long term experience with these?
the key they provide is difficult to tighten down in regards to the seat post so I tapped threads into the back of the key and glued an Allen bolt on back… this way I can use a tool to help leverage.
Tpsfoto is offline  
Old 01-11-22, 04:48 PM
  #37  
Enkidu1
Junior Member
 
Enkidu1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 8

Bikes: Bike Friday New World Tourist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pinhead thoughts?

Originally Posted by Tpsfoto View Post
Of course a quality bike lock is key…. I just put on Pinhead skewers and seat post lock system…. Seems fine…. Anyone have long term experience with these?
the key they provide is difficult to tighten down in regards to the seat post so I tapped threads into the back of the key and glued an Allen bolt on back… this way I can use a tool to help leverage.
What do you think about the Pinhead products?
Enkidu1 is offline  
Old 01-11-22, 05:56 PM
  #38  
Tpsfoto
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Henderson NV (Las Vegas area)
Posts: 72

Bikes: Specialized Vita Limited, Giant Talon 2, Diamondback insight 2, Sepecialized Hardrock women's

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The skewers are great, the seat post made well, But the key is a poor design… not enough leverage to make the seat post tight enough…and slips out of the bolt too easily .. to help it work better I tapped a thread so I can screw in an Allen bolt …. Worked fine whenever you tighten But unscrewed when loosen. I then epoxy glued it in the thread and now I can use my T-handle Allen tool to make this workable.


Last edited by Tpsfoto; 01-11-22 at 06:45 PM.
Tpsfoto is offline  
Old 01-11-22, 06:03 PM
  #39  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
The Penta Pin security bolt is a better way to secure the seat post on a bike. Not sure though whether this could cause problems with a dropper post.
Calsun is offline  
Old 01-15-22, 02:18 PM
  #40  
CycloneZ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen locks with an active alarm that goes off if someone tries to fiddle with it. Might be worth the investment! (around 60 bucks)
CycloneZ is offline  
Likes For CycloneZ:
Old 01-16-22, 08:08 PM
  #41  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpsfoto View Post
Of course a quality bike lock is key…. I just put on Pinhead skewers and seat post lock system…. Seems fine…. Anyone have long term experience with these?
the key they provide is difficult to tighten down in regards to the seat post so I tapped threads into the back of the key and glued an Allen bolt on back… this way I can use a tool to help leverage.
Thank you so much for your reply and for sharing your approach with us.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 08:35 PM
  #42  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tpsfoto View Post
The skewers are great, the seat post made well, But the key is a poor design… not enough leverage to make the seat post tight enough…and slips out of the bolt too easily .. to help it work better I tapped a thread so I can screw in an Allen bolt …. Worked fine whenever you tighten But unscrewed when loosen. I then epoxy glued it in the thread and now I can use my T-handle Allen tool to make this workable.

Thank you very much for your reply. Thanks for the advice and the way to share, it was a good decision.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 08:37 PM
  #43  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun View Post
The Penta Pin security bolt is a better way to secure the seat post on a bike. Not sure though whether this could cause problems with a dropper post.
Thank you for your reply.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 01-16-22, 08:43 PM
  #44  
AOSTIRMOTOR
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by CycloneZ View Post
I've seen locks with an active alarm that goes off if someone tries to fiddle with it. Might be worth the investment! (around 60 bucks)
Thank you very much for your reply and suggestions. Activity alerts are a good idea.
AOSTIRMOTOR is offline  
Old 01-17-22, 03:49 PM
  #45  
Calsun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 455
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 81 Posts
Many years ago the University of California at Davis had roughly 20,000 students and it was such a large campus that a great many of them rode bikes to get from one class to the next. A great many bikes were stolen and in one case a bike rack that held a dozen bikes with them all carefully chained and locked to the rack was stolen. Men with a flat bed truck pulled up beside the rack and carried it with the bikes to the truck and drove off. After that incident the university security people decided to move the racks away from any road where a repeat could easily occur.

Whenever we have massive unemployment and no safety net and even grocery workers at places like Krogers where 14% of them are homeless, there will be desperate people looking for extra income. Unfortunately we are trained to look at petty criminals who break into a house and not the corporate criminals who take the entire house.
Calsun is offline  
Old 01-23-22, 07:46 PM
  #46  
honcho
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 171
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
I'm surprised that there aren't more e-locking systems, like the transponder systems on cars where unless your key electronically "unlocks" the anti-theft system, the vehicle engine will not remain running (or not start at all).
honcho is offline  
Old 01-24-22, 09:13 AM
  #47  
kahn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: northWET washington
Posts: 1,074
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 484 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by honcho View Post
I'm surprised that there aren't more e-locking systems, like the transponder systems on cars where unless your key electronically "unlocks" the anti-theft system, the vehicle engine will not remain running (or not start at all).
I gather that some Specialized have a code requirement option on some of their newer models. I'm not sure that it would prevent wheeling it away or even pedaling without power.

And while e-bikes are fairly expensive, theft of any bike, e or not, is still something that is hard to prevent. And there are some pretty darn expensive non e-bikes.
kahn is offline  
Old 02-09-22, 04:07 PM
  #48  
kshen888
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2022
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CycloneZ View Post
I've seen locks with an active alarm that goes off if someone tries to fiddle with it. Might be worth the investment! (around 60 bucks)
do you have a link?
kshen888 is offline  
Old 02-09-22, 06:46 PM
  #49  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 9,751

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2806 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,305 Posts
ABUS makes a whole line of them all of their Smart locks have alarms but they also do a bunch of stuff that uses a key. However you might depending on what you have consider finding a shop that is taking part in their Keyed-A-Like program, especially if you already have a plus keyed item like a battery lock. You can order as many locks as you need based on that key number which makes it super handy,
veganbikes is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.