Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for a road bike that can have winter tires with studs, and fenders

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Recommendations for a road bike that can have winter tires with studs, and fenders

Old 01-25-22, 01:30 PM
  #26  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,341

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked 6,093 Times in 3,441 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
No I am not. You really should put me on ignore. I have had it with you. I am taking it up with moderation if you interfere with another post of mine. Or quote another post of mine or in any other way acknowledge my existence.

Ooooh, scary.

You posted a complaint about this thread that was off-base. I don't see how my response to it is in any way "interference".

Ignore lists work both ways, btw. Feel free to follow your own advice.

Last edited by livedarklions; 01-25-22 at 01:33 PM.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 02:27 PM
  #27  
BillyD
Administrator
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,514

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9962 Post(s)
Liked 3,732 Times in 2,105 Posts
Hey you two guys, try harder to avoid bringing dirty laundry from past threads into the current one, please. Let's stop the arguing, thanx!
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 02:59 PM
  #28  
msu2001la
Senior Member
 
msu2001la's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,925
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Don't know what OP means, but I think the thing that I consider least road-bikey about a gravel bike is the gearing as the chainwheel tends to be way too small for my riding style.

I like the way you laid out these options.
A situation where one is frequently spinning out a 46x11 gear while on studded snow tires seems insanely specific, but yes... gravel bikes are usually specified with slightly lower gearing than a traditional road bike. This can be changed, of course. The GRX front derailleur can shift a 50T ring just fine.
msu2001la is offline  
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 01-25-22, 03:13 PM
  #29  
shelbyfv
Senior Member
 
shelbyfv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: TN
Posts: 10,039
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2970 Post(s)
Liked 3,752 Times in 1,930 Posts
So much guessing as to what OP is actually looking for, yet OP is MIA. Maybe just let this gestate awhile until he provides some clarification.
shelbyfv is offline  
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-25-22, 03:20 PM
  #30  
ofajen
Cheerfully low end
 
ofajen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 1,392
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote View Post
I don't ride in such conditions...But the conditions that call for studs also call for wider tires. And 30mm is not wide.
I donít have a lot of experience riding on ice, but I think the idea is the tire penetrates down to the ice and grabs with the studs.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 01-25-22 at 05:35 PM.
ofajen is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 03:28 PM
  #31  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,341

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked 6,093 Times in 3,441 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv View Post
So much guessing as to what OP is actually looking for, yet OP is MIA. Maybe just let this gestate awhile until he provides some clarification.
Or not. People can just talk about what and how they ride on ice.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 03:45 PM
  #32  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,841

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19368 Post(s)
Liked 7,935 Times in 4,002 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Or not. People can just talk about what and how they ride on ice.
A gravel bike with studs, of course.



Seems to work well enough on ice -

WhyFi is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 03:49 PM
  #33  
UniChris
Senior Member
 
UniChris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Northampton, MA
Posts: 1,767

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
A situation where one is frequently spinning out a 46x11 gear while on studded snow tires seems insanely specific, but yes... gravel bikes are usually specified with slightly lower gearing than a traditional road bike. This can be changed, of course. The GRX front derailleur can shift a 50T ring just fine.
This gets back to OP seemingly wanting to use one bike year round, apparently switched to studded tires in winter, vs many others arguing to keep the road bike as a road bike and get something cheap, upright, and wider tired to put the studs on and take out on the few days they're really called for.

Or maybe the road bike spends the winter wearing a trainer tire!
UniChris is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 03:56 PM
  #34  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,341

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked 6,093 Times in 3,441 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
A gravel bike with studs, of course.



Seems to work well enough on ice -


Did you ever ride the 3 connected lakes in one ride?
livedarklions is offline  
Old 01-25-22, 04:05 PM
  #35  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,841

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19368 Post(s)
Liked 7,935 Times in 4,002 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Did you ever ride the 3 connected lakes in one ride?
No, haven't done that. Honestly, when it's that cold out, my tolerance for bike shenanigans is considerably lower - 60-90 min is more than enough to quiet the demons. I'd have to be in a special mood to rumble up to and through the chain of lakes. Maybe one of these years I'll really embrace the winter cycling spirit, but it hasn't happened yet (and it's not going to be this year).
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-26-22, 04:03 PM
  #36  
grant40
Senior Member
 
grant40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 414
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 122 Posts
I think you should get something that Surly makes. They're pretty much known for making stuff like that.
grant40 is offline  
Old 01-29-22, 03:49 PM
  #37  
burnthesheep
Newbie racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 3,187

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,405 Times in 876 Posts
Since you said more road bike like instead of gravel bike..........how about a cyclocross race bike? The geometry is more road bike like. We have folks in this area in the age of disc brakes that ride them road in warm season with some 28mm or 32mm GP5000's. Cross season hits, back to the mud tires.

I feel the REAL issue here is the fenders. You can put a lot of tire on a lot of bikes, but if the fenders aren't intended for studded tires......it won't matter what bike it is.
burnthesheep is offline  
Old 01-29-22, 04:45 PM
  #38  
63rickert
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,946
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1011 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 219 Posts
If riding ice you are almost certainly also riding snow. Snow sticks to the bike. Sticks to fenders. How is it possible to ride fenders in snow? When I have done that it has usually been with fenders that are very far away from tire and it still causes all sorts of problems. If in city traffic with slush and patches of ice, yes, fenders can be very desirable. But please keep them a couple of centimeters away from the tire. And expect to stop and clear packed snow and ice.

Fenders out of alignment? If riding in snow yes they are.

Please remember that tungsten carbide studs will very easily cut steel, aluminum carbon. When you flat in snow and ice you get to remove that wheel in less than optimum conditions. You will not be doing a super slick ninja wheel change.
63rickert is offline  
Old 01-29-22, 05:25 PM
  #39  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,322

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 737 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312 View Post
So basically I want a new bike, I know that gravel bikes often have much wider clearance, but I don't really want a gravel bike.
You said you're looking for a road bike with more tire clearance.....A gravel bike is just a road bike that has clearance for bigger tires and fenders.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-29-22, 05:27 PM
  #40  
wolfchild
Senior Member
 
wolfchild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mississauga/Toronto, Ontario canada
Posts: 7,322

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2736 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 737 Posts
Originally Posted by bicycle126312 View Post

Are there any proper road bikes, that can run with a studded winter tire and allow fenders to be mounted?
Yes there are...they're called gravel bikes.
wolfchild is offline  
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 02-02-22, 04:55 PM
  #41  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,388
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 381 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Don't know what OP means, but I think the thing that I consider least road-bikey about a gravel bike is the gearing as the chainwheel tends to be way too small for my riding style.

I like the way you laid out these options.
My gravel bike has essentially the same gear range as my road bikes. I'm not familiar with gravel bikes that have gearing that can't be modified anyway.

Re, other aspects of this discussion. I have road bikes and have had a "gravel" bike in various forms for well over a decade, before they were called "gravel" bikes. Regardless, for me, although I have a few really nice, genuine road bikes, the gravel bikes, depending on how they were set up, were great road bikes. Yeah, the geometry may be different, but for me, there's so little difference in handling on good pavement, with similar tires, that it matters absolutely none.

Anyway, I'm of the camp that I really can't make any sense of what the OP is looking for. He has a "real" road bike, but he wants another "real" road bike that can take studded tires. If you want winter tires, go all the way and get appreciably wider tires and a frame that can accommodate them as well as the fenders. A gravel bike.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-02-22 at 05:06 PM.
Camilo is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 06:22 AM
  #42  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,341

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked 6,093 Times in 3,441 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo View Post
My gravel bike has essentially the same gear range as my road bikes. I'm not familiar with gravel bikes that have gearing that can't be modified anyway.

Re, other aspects of this discussion. I have road bikes and have had a "gravel" bike in various forms for well over a decade, before they were called "gravel" bikes. Regardless, for me, although I have a few really nice, genuine road bikes, the gravel bikes, depending on how they were set up, were great road bikes. Yeah, the geometry may be different, but for me, there's so little difference in handling on good pavement, with similar tires, that it matters absolutely none.

Anyway, I'm of the camp that I really can't make any sense of what the OP is looking for. He has a "real" road bike, but he wants another "real" road bike that can take studded tires. If you want winter tires, go all the way and get appreciably wider tires and a frame that can accommodate them as well as the fenders. A gravel bike.

I consider a proper road bike requires at least a 50t chain ring, but I'm a very high gear rider. I know that's just my opinion, but "proper" is definitely subjective.

If I'm buying a new bike, I'm not looking for one where I have to take off the existing chain ring and replace it with something larger. But, that's just me. I agree we don't know what the op meant, it's literally the first words of mine you quoted.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-03-22 at 06:25 AM.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 07:00 AM
  #43  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,841

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19368 Post(s)
Liked 7,935 Times in 4,002 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I consider a proper road bike requires at least a 50t chain ring, but I'm a very high gear rider. I know that's just my opinion, but "proper" is definitely subjective.
The bigger tires on gravel bikes contribute to the final gearing, which isn't typically far off of a 50t with skinny tires. If you're going to be swapping between tire sizes, you're going to be compromising somewhere. I put a 50/34 on my gravel bike and it's a bit tall when the going gets tough, like uphill on a loose surface.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 08:48 AM
  #44  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,341

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked 6,093 Times in 3,441 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
The bigger tires on gravel bikes contribute to the final gearing, which isn't typically far off of a 50t with skinny tires. If you're going to be swapping between tire sizes, you're going to be compromising somewhere. I put a 50/34 on my gravel bike and it's a bit tall when the going gets tough, like uphill on a loose surface.

I think you're familiar enough with my post history to know why I'm going to avoid comparing my gear preferences to those of normal humans.

I much prefer a 53t with skinny tires so the 50t is already a compromise for me. Again, I'm just speaking for myself and how I draw the line between proper road bike and improper(?).
livedarklions is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 09:25 AM
  #45  
downhillmaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,644
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 393 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Or not. People can just talk about what and how they ride on ice.
They sure can, but as that would not specifically address the OPís situation those people would probably do best to chat about general ice riding in another thread.
But that maybe makes too much sense so instead carry on here without the OP
downhillmaster is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 09:49 AM
  #46  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,841

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19368 Post(s)
Liked 7,935 Times in 4,002 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
I think you're familiar enough with my post history to know why I'm going to avoid comparing my gear preferences to those of normal humans.

I much prefer a 53t with skinny tires so the 50t is already a compromise for me. Again, I'm just speaking for myself and how I draw the line between proper road bike and improper(?).
And I'm just informing from a practical perspective on why it is the way it is - 50/34 is probably the most common crankset on road bikes these days but, for the reasons I'd mentioned, that gearing may not be as desirable or practical on bikes meant to accommodate larger tires on poorer surfaces.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 10:09 AM
  #47  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,341

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked 6,093 Times in 3,441 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
And I'm just informing from a practical perspective on why it is the way it is - 50/34 is probably the most common crankset on road bikes these days but, for the reasons I'd mentioned, that gearing may not be as desirable or practical on bikes meant to accommodate larger tires on poorer surfaces.

Uhhh, duh?

Point is that people have different reasons why a "compromise" can pull a type of bicycle out of consideration for use in the category of riding they want to do.

Last edited by livedarklions; 02-03-22 at 10:12 AM.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 10:30 AM
  #48  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,841

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19368 Post(s)
Liked 7,935 Times in 4,002 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
Uhhh, duh?
Soooo should I *not* point why some configurations are practical for the vast majority of riders simply because it may not jibe with your personal preferences? Strangely, it's not always about you.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-03-22, 10:45 AM
  #49  
livedarklions
High Performance Noodler
 
livedarklions's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New England
Posts: 12,341

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6450 Post(s)
Liked 6,093 Times in 3,441 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Soooo should I *not* point why some configurations are practical for the vast majority of riders simply because it may not jibe with your personal preferences? Strangely, it's not always about you.

You were literally responding to a post that was entirely and explicitly about my own perspective and opinions, so in this case, yes it was actually about me.

You posted the bloody obvious as some sort of counter to my post. I think that merits a "duh" since I was avowedly not saying anything about how other people view it, and couldn't have made that more obvious if I had tried.
livedarklions is offline  
Old 02-03-22, 11:31 AM
  #50  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,841

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19368 Post(s)
Liked 7,935 Times in 4,002 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions View Post
You were literally responding to a post that was entirely and explicitly about my own perspective and opinions, so in this case, yes it was actually about me.


You posted the bloody obvious as some sort of counter to my post. I think that merits a "duh" since I was avowedly not saying anything about how other people view it, and couldn't have made that more obvious if I had tried.
So a response to a post all about you must also be all about you, and couldb't possibly be for the benefit of others considering a gravel bike but wondering about the gearing disparity? Okay. And the point about tire size affecting final gearing is quite often overlooked - you certainly didn't explicitly or implicitly acknowledge it, and I didn't see anyone else do so, either - so I thought it worth mentioning. Apologies if that offended your delicate sensibilities.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.