Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Proper tire seating, inflating max pressure?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-27-22, 02:17 PM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts

Hello all,

I am trying to seat a WTB Resolute 42x700C gravel tire on to a Bontrager tubeless ready rim (disc wheel).

The tire seems to want to 'dip' in one spot, indicating the tire bead is not seated properly. Usually on my road bike I would solve this by inflating the tire to like 100 psi, and it would pop into place. However., this tire is rated at 50 psi MAX. So I am unsure how high I can pressurize it before I run into any problems? I tried pumping it up to 70 psi already, to no avail.

What is the max pressure I can safely pump it up to (to seat the tire, not to ride it)?
Other things I should try?

Thanks!
Old 01-27-22, 03:03 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19390 Post(s)
Liked 7,962 Times in 4,016 Posts
Did you try lubing things up a bit? I usually spray a bit of soapy water on the rim bed and beads before seating. With a small problem spot, I'll also pull/twist the bead in to place with my hands on either side of the dip. Hell, sometimes I'll just bang that side of the tire on the ground.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-27-22, 03:18 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 189 Posts
Use something with a high volume of air like a compressed air cannister or air compressor
Old 01-27-22, 04:46 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 874 Times in 501 Posts
Soapy water will help the bead slip into place. Try spraying down the sidewall in that area.

As for PSI, I don't think I'd push it beyond 70psi, which is quite high for a 42mm tire.
Old 01-28-22, 03:41 AM
maartendc

Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Did you try lubing things up a bit? I usually spray a bit of soapy water on the rim bed and beads before seating. With a small problem spot, I'll also pull/twist the bead in to place with my hands on either side of the dip. Hell, sometimes I'll just bang that side of the tire on the ground.
Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Soapy water will help the bead slip into place. Try spraying down the sidewall in that area.

As for PSI, I don't think I'd push it beyond 70psi, which is quite high for a 42mm tire.
Thanks guys, I will try soapy water and see if that helps. I wont go beyond 70 psi then. Thanks!
Old 01-28-22, 06:12 AM
eduskator

Bikes: TCR Pro, Revolt Adv, Trance X

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 227 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc View Post
Hello all,

I am trying to seat a WTB Resolute 42x700C gravel tire on to a Bontrager tubeless ready rim (disc wheel).

The tire seems to want to 'dip' in one spot, indicating the tire bead is not seated properly. Usually on my road bike I would solve this by inflating the tire to like 100 psi, and it would pop into place. However., this tire is rated at 50 psi MAX. So I am unsure how high I can pressurize it before I run into any problems? I tried pumping it up to 70 psi already, to no avail.

What is the max pressure I can safely pump it up to (to seat the tire, not to ride it)?
Other things I should try?

Thanks!
I'd definitively try to put some lube on the bead to help it seat. I've never bothered about exceeding maximum pressure when inflating a tire. I just pump until it pops a few time and then I bounce the wheel on the floor to make sure everything is OK. Did you try to go to 60-70PSI and see if it seats properly? Exceeding the maximum pressure shouldn't damage the tire unless it's extreme...
Old 01-28-22, 12:06 PM
Iride01
MotuekaCascadeChinook

Bikes: '20 Tarmac Disc Comp '78 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4156 Post(s)
Liked 2,685 Times in 1,869 Posts
I wouldn't have an issue going upwards of 150% of the max PSI just to see if it'll seat.

But the closer you get to 150% be careful and fearful. Wear eye protection just in case. Maybe gloves too, but so far I've not had anything but the tires blow off the rim with no damage to the tire. I just remounted them, used more slippery stuff on them, either soapy water or baby powder and was good to go. The tubes didn't survive any attempt and made a really impressively loud noise as it blew.
Old 02-05-22, 12:53 PM
maartendc

I used some soapy water, gave the whole tire and rim a good soak, and it worked!

I did have to pump it up to about 60-65 PSI before I heard the tire pop into place. I guess with some tire/rim combo's you do have to exceed the max tire pressure to get it to seat properly.

Thanks for the suggestions all!
Likes For maartendc: