Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Specialized vs Canyon Hybrid/Fitness Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-22, 03:01 PM
mdb_mia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been looking for a new upgrade for some time now. I have a Specialized Crosstrail Carbon Elite (2018) and it's time to upgrade. I am starting to see manufacturers releasing some stock so wanted to narrow it down ready to make a purchase.

Although I hate the cost, I think I really want the 2022 Specialized Sirrus 6.0. Having said that I came across the Canyon Roadlite CF 8 which is coming out in the summer. I realize that Specialized is a premium brand but the Canyon really looks to be good spec and comparable. The downside is that they only distribute direct to consumer so I can't see it before hand. I can always return it but it's still a pain. Does anyone have any thoughts (pros/cons) on either of the se bikes? Just as an FYI I really wanted the CUBE SL ROAD C:62 SLT but they are hard to get even without the pandemic putting a halt on distribution.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-28-22, 03:17 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Canyon is also a premium brand these days. Certainly comparable with Specialized. Direct sales model makes them a fair bit cheaper for an equivalent spec.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-28-22, 09:35 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
I’ve owned a Canyon since they first opened in the US- and Endurace CF with Shimano 105.
Clearly not a hybrid so cannot speak to the quality or build finish of the particular bike yoi’re looking at.
But, would say that the bike I purchased and my customer experience was excellent, I’ve since reccommended Canyon to many other riders.
Arrived in perfect condition, complete with directions and special tools for assembly and adjustment.

As mentioned, would also consider them a premium brand.
Old 01-28-22, 11:12 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
The only similarity I see in my admittedly brief look is the flat bars. The Cube is a flat bar gravel bike, the Canyon is a flat bar road bike. I’m not sure what Specialized is trying to do with theirs - it has a ridiculous stack/reach geo for their size and the components look like a supply chain compromise.

If you’re the type that needs LBS support then obviously you’ll wanna buy local. Do you maintain your current bike? If you’re handy and can easily manage the simple assembly and first tuneup and adjustments on your own, the Canyon is a great choice. Canyon quality is every bit as good as any top tier brand you’ll find locally.

I realize the Cube is Unobtanium, so looking at the geometry of the Specialized vs the Canyon, they’re kinda far apart. I would say the Canyon is a more aggressive road bike fit while the Sirrus is probably a lot closer to the fit of your Crosstrail. You’re the only person that knows what fit will work.

Edited to add: If the thought of doing your own assembly and adjustments are too much, you can always bring the Canyon to your local shop and they can help you out, for a price.

Last edited by Kedosto; 01-28-22 at 11:16 PM.
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 02-07-22, 01:18 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Agree with Kedosto. Lots of good points

Looking at the Spec. vs. Canyon, the Canyon is a better equipped bike. Better drivetrain and brakes. The Specialized looks like a hodgepodge of what ever was on the shelves.