Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1986? 3Rensho Super Record Export

Old 01-29-22, 01:27 AM
oktober 

Bikes: 200? Helfrich Ti MTB, 2011 Bruce Gordon BLT (Taiwanese), 1987 Bruce Gordon MTB, 1995 Trek 720 Multitrack, 1992 Trek Single Track 970, 1986 3Rensho Super Record Export

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
1986? 3Rensho Super Record Export

I’ve posted about this bike over in C&V, and I’m stuck on the horns of a dilemma. It’s a 1986-ish 60cm 3Rensho Super Record Export with a mix of components (Shimano ax, and Campagnolo) and a (presumably) replacement fork that is a little too large for me.

The serial number and components were shared with Andy Muzi at Yellow Jersey and he stated that lots of bikes were build with mixed components in those days, but the fork probably wasn’t the fork it was built with. However, it is made from Ishiwata tubing and appears to be period correct.

The dilemma is that from what I can see this bike has little to no riding wear anyway. The decals are a damaged but the paint is in great shape. There are no brake pad marks on the Mavic rims, the tires still have release compound down the center etc.

What is this setup worth, and how much is that likely to change if I ride it?

No wear on the crank arms

No bulges, no paint cracks, no evidence of a crash

No wear on the hoods, mold parting marks still have flash

Failing decal

No washer marks on the arms

No wear marks or blemishes on the brakes

Another failing decal.

Last edited by oktober; 01-29-22 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-29-22, 08:28 AM
DMC707 

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 447 Posts
Ride it and enjoy it. Beautiful bike, but its been built to ride. Its largely a euro-centric build, so ditch the crank, front derailleuer and seat post and replace with similar Era Campy stuff if the mutt build is irritating
Likes For DMC707:
Old 01-29-22, 11:41 AM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 644 Posts
The big value here is in the frame. These bikes have a large number of admirers, one of whom will hopefully come along to supply you with some broad idea of market value.

Riding, per se, will not devalue it, since frames don't wear with use the way components do. But each chip in the paint from careless handling or from the chain hitting the stay will lower its value. With a non-original fork and disappearing decals the loss of value is not on par with those NOS items that lose big value with any sign of use.

If, as you say, it doesn't fit you well I don't see why you would want to ride it except for a short spin to satisfy your curiosity.

Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 01-29-22, 05:20 PM
beech333
Fuji Fan

Bikes: Was Fuji and got my grails (Pro, Pro SR, Design Series, & Ti). Now I hunt 50's and older road bikes.

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Imo, it seems like vintage bike values values are trending down. I'd recommend that you just ride it and enjoy it, assuming you like the bike. I doubt you would affect the value much, unless you dent it or get it rusty.
Likes For beech333:
Old 01-29-22, 07:17 PM
zukahn1

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 308 Posts
Myself I could see a real nice resto mod with a carbon fork and matching top end DA black components. If you want to sell all in IU would $600-700 as is but I hope you keep it this is a real sleeper and great bike that should be fixed up right and road.
Old 01-30-22, 12:29 AM
Drillium Dude 
Gone riding

Mentioned: 238 Post(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,112 Posts
It's already somewhat used, so using it isn't going to devalue it at all. However, abusing it will; take a rag to it after every ride, don't put it away wet (or even better, don't ride it in the wet), you know, treat it with the respect it deserves and all will be fine.

Value is difficult to determine, anyway, but the truest answer is: whatever someone is willing to pay.

DD

Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 01-30-22, 06:58 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2315 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 794 Posts
This is tough. Of course if this was all SR with the OEM fork guys would tripping over themselves to get it at 1K but....... I know you got a deal on this so pretty much anything you get over what $300 is great? If if doesn't fit and you want to pass it along list here in the for sale section and pass it along at a decent price to someone who would appreciate it. If it was me and I could ride, even though slightly big or small, I at least try it for a season and check it out. I mean it isn't like your going to see anohter great deal on one next week.

If you really want to sell it I'd say, and I don't often, parting it out is likely the way to go. Check Ebay for completed price for the crank and seat post (you did have the pedals yes?) and auction yours accordingly

What size is it?

** BTW love those Avocet Fast Grip tires I really wish someone still made them

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 01-30-22 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-30-22, 10:38 AM
oktober 

Bikes: 200? Helfrich Ti MTB, 2011 Bruce Gordon BLT (Taiwanese), 1987 Bruce Gordon MTB, 1995 Trek 720 Multitrack, 1992 Trek Single Track 970, 1986 3Rensho Super Record Export

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll View Post
This is tough. Of course if this was all SR with the OEM fork guys would tripping over themselves to get it at 1K but....... I know you got a deal on this so pretty much anything you get over what $300 is great? If if doesn't fit and you want to pass it along list here in the for sale section and pass it along at a decent price to someone who would appreciate it. If it was me and I could ride, even though slightly big or small, I at least try it for a season and check it out. I mean it isn't like your going to see anohter great deal on one next week.

If you really want to sell it I'd say, and I don't often, parting it out is likely the way to go. Check Ebay for completed price for the crank and seat post (you did have the pedals yes?) and auction yours accordingly

What size is it?

** BTW love those Avocet Fast Grip tires I really wish someone still made them
Thanks for the advice, I think I'm going to keep it for a lot of the reasons you posted. I probably won't have an opportunity to have such a nice road frame at this price again. It's a touch big for me, but I got it working yesterday and it fits better than I expected (it's 60cm c-c). It rides beautifully, it feels quick and responsive and just wants to go.
Likes For oktober:
Old 02-01-22, 07:41 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 225 Posts
For goodness sake. Don't take less than $1K for it. That's it. That's all. Done deal.