Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.2

Old 04-25-21, 02:20 PM
  #2276  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,020

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11116 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,511 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Opinions: Toss rear GP5000 with > 8000 mi and barely visible wear dimples, or ride it for another few weeks until the dimples are good and gone?
Just don't run 'em down to the cords. Sold a tire to a guy last week who had visible cord all the way around his tire.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 02:23 PM
  #2277  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 53,020

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11116 Post(s)
Liked 2,515 Times in 1,511 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Weighing lawnmowers. Good grief.
I don't know how much my lawn mower weighs.
__________________
Originally Posted by patentcad View Post
If this thread doesn't go 10 pages I'm quitting BF.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 02:55 PM
  #2278  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,508

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9953 Post(s)
Liked 3,723 Times in 2,099 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
There's always one.
And in this case a predictable one.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-25-21, 03:03 PM
  #2279  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,508

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9953 Post(s)
Liked 3,723 Times in 2,099 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
I do like how you're arguing with the only regular to live and ride in NYC, in this millennia . . . . .
Excuse me!? I've ridden more in NYC than possibly anybody on this board. My Hudson Valley mileage may never catch up with my NYC mileage. Manhattan, at that
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:08 PM
  #2280  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,830

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19357 Post(s)
Liked 7,911 Times in 3,995 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
Excuse me!? I've ridden more in NYC than possibly anybody on this board. My Hudson Valley mileage may never catch up with my NYC mileage. Manhattan, at that
That's why I said this millennia.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:15 PM
  #2281  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 8,822

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6413 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 884 Posts
Lawn mowing Review:
First of all I call BS on the 40 minute battery life. I got done cutting the front lawn in 33 minutes and decided to keep going to see how long it would last. It died right at 40 minutes. My grass wasn't even that long so it should have lasted longer. I'm thinking they have a timer with a kill switch at 40 minutes. If not, this is going to be close every time I cut when the grass is a little longer.
Now, the review. Very quiet compared to an I.C.E. 60% as loud and you could talk over it so no need to shut it down for a conversation. Large diameter tires in the rear make it nimble and coupled with the low weight it is easy to maneuver. Hence the quicker cut time. Additionally, not having self propel allows a little faster pace without sacrificing cut quality.

Rating?

If the 3 year warranty on the battery means it might last 4 years, I think it is a good value and easier to use/maintain.

I got it on sale for $249 and a spare battery is $149. Reasonable and will get cheaper as technology advances unless Elon Musk uses all the lithium.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:19 PM
  #2282  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 37,624

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 519 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17434 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,319 Posts
For the first time in several months, I actually washed my bike. I gave it a good hosing off, sprayed citrus degreaser all over the chain/drivetrain, then scrubbed pretty much everything with a toothbrush dipped in soapy water, followed by another good rinse with the hose.

After drying off and fresh chain lube, it was quite impressive how easily the cranks now turn.

#goodasnew
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-25-21, 03:19 PM
  #2283  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 30,508

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 312 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9953 Post(s)
Liked 3,723 Times in 2,099 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Raise your hands if any of your rides have ever resembled this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHdkK5j4yk
Yes, there were times I would ride like that . . . back when I was young and reckless.

Looking back it's hard to admit I ever did that, it was so crazy.
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:21 PM
  #2284  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 39,303

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8917 Post(s)
Liked 3,829 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by DougRNS View Post
Lawn mowing Review:
First of all I call BS on the 40 minute battery life. I got done cutting the front lawn in 33 minutes and decided to keep going to see how long it would last. It died right at 40 minutes. My grass wasn't even that long so it should have lasted longer. I'm thinking they have a timer with a kill switch at 40 minutes. If not, this is going to be close every time I cut when the grass is a little longer.
Now, the review. Very quiet compared to an I.C.E. 60% as loud and you could talk over it so no need to shut it down for a conversation. Large diameter tires in the rear make it nimble and coupled with the low weight it is easy to maneuver. Hence the quicker cut time. Additionally, not having self propel allows a little faster pace without sacrificing cut quality.

Rating?

If the 3 year warranty on the battery means it might last 4 years, I think it is a good value and easier to use/maintain.

I got it on sale for $249 and a spare battery is $149. Reasonable and will get cheaper as technology advances unless Elon Musk uses all the lithium.
If it's anything like my battery experiences, in 18 months you'll be lucky to get 20 mins off a full charge. (OK probably not that bad, but it seems that bad.)
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:23 PM
  #2285  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 37,624

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 519 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17434 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,319 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Opinions: Toss rear GP5000 with > 8000 mi and barely visible wear dimples, or ride it for another few weeks until the dimples are good and gone?
Keep, unless you have tons of spare time now and little in a few weeks.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:26 PM
  #2286  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 37,624

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 519 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17434 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,319 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Where do they get it?
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:27 PM
  #2287  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,830

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19357 Post(s)
Liked 7,911 Times in 3,995 Posts
My phone has been bothering the **** out of me for a couple months now, so I started looking at alternatives. In addition, this kicked off talks with the wife about giving my phone to my almost 10-year-old son after I get a replacement. This lead me to look at how adding another line would affect our current wireless plan, etc, etc.

Long story short, I'm getting a kick-ass phone, we're ditching Verizon and going to Google Fi
Our bill should go down even though we're adding a line and we'll get to play Big Brother to our son and track him while he's out on bike rides, etc.

No tracking number on the phone yet, though, so I can't sit at the computer and mash F5.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:28 PM
  #2288  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 37,624

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 519 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17434 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,319 Posts
Cute pic of Heidi and Jackie


__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:29 PM
  #2289  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,830

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19357 Post(s)
Liked 7,911 Times in 3,995 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
For the first time in several months, I actually washed my bike. I gave it a good hosing off, sprayed citrus degreaser all over the chain/drivetrain, then scrubbed pretty much everything with a toothbrush dipped in soapy water, followed by another good rinse with the hose.

After drying off and fresh chain lube, it was quite impressive how easily the cranks now turn.

#goodasnew
Quiet and smooth bikes are the best.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:30 PM
  #2290  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 8,822

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6413 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 884 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
For the first time in several months, I actually washed my bike. I gave it a good hosing off, sprayed citrus degreaser all over the chain/drivetrain, then scrubbed pretty much everything with a toothbrush dipped in soapy water, followed by another good rinse with the hose.

After drying off and fresh chain lube, it was quite impressive how easily the cranks now turn.

#goodasnew
I lubed my chain and charged my lights in anticipation of a ride this week. I get shot #2 on Wednesday so I might be on the covid DL for a day or two.
DougRNS is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 03:56 PM
  #2291  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 39,303

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8917 Post(s)
Liked 3,829 Times in 2,058 Posts
MC land speed record news. Hoping to hit 400mph in this

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/new...e4Halomk_zRT_c

LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 04:02 PM
  #2292  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 5,312

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 2,119 Times in 919 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
For the first time in several months, I actually washed my bike. I gave it a good hosing off, sprayed citrus degreaser all over the chain/drivetrain, then scrubbed pretty much everything with a toothbrush dipped in soapy water, followed by another good rinse with the hose.

After drying off and fresh chain lube, it was quite impressive how easily the cranks now turn.

#goodasnew
now come do mine.



Thanks.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 04:05 PM
  #2293  
bampilot06
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: 757
Posts: 5,312

Bikes: Cervélo C2, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 2,119 Times in 919 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
My phone has been bothering the **** out of me for a couple months now, so I started looking at alternatives. In addition, this kicked off talks with the wife about giving my phone to my almost 10-year-old son after I get a replacement. This lead me to look at how adding another line would affect our current wireless plan, etc, etc.

Long story short, I'm getting a kick-ass phone, we're ditching Verizon and going to Google Fi
Our bill should go down even though we're adding a line and we'll get to play Big Brother to our son and track him while he's out on bike rides, etc.

No tracking number on the phone yet, though, so I can't sit at the computer and mash F5.
Just throwing it out there, we use straight talk, and have had no issues at all with it. 90 bucks a month for two lines with more than enough data.
bampilot06 is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 04:10 PM
  #2294  
MoAlpha
• —
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 9,730

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8092 Post(s)
Liked 4,180 Times in 2,254 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
Depends on the nature of the contest. You could be taking a knife to a gunfight.


Try to keep up to the current decade.

Oh? Don't take my word for it, we'll ask the group. Collectively we have thousands of miles ridden here this year, in sundry parts of America.

Raise your hands if any of your rides this year resembled this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWHdkK5j4yk
I was a bike messenger in NYC for a while and never rode like that or, worse yet, left Manhattan!
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 04:17 PM
  #2295  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 37,830

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19357 Post(s)
Liked 7,911 Times in 3,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Just throwing it out there, we use straight talk, and have had no issues at all with it. 90 bucks a month for two lines with more than enough data.
We'll be at a base of $50/month for three lines plus data at $10/gb. We rarely go over 2gb, usually only when traveling down to VA. Otherwise, we're often under 1gb, so we should be in the $60 + tax region. If the boy turns out to be a data hog, we could always go unlimited for $90 (or we could throttle his data once he goes over a certain amount - that, the tracking, content restrictions, etc were some selling points as we navigate this phone for our kid territory).
WhyFi is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 04:17 PM
  #2296  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 39,303

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8917 Post(s)
Liked 3,829 Times in 2,058 Posts
Seattle and SF fixie foos impress me the most. Some of those guys are hittin all dem hills with a 48x15.
LesterOfPuppets is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 04:48 PM
  #2297  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
indyfabz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 33,689
Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15292 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,468 Posts
Because what kind of heathen doesn’t like lemony, garlicky halibut grilled on a cedar plank?


indyfabz is online now  
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-25-21, 04:56 PM
  #2298  
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life
 
Velo Vol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 45,983

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23082 Post(s)
Liked 1,173 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
Because what kind of heathen doesn’t like lemony, garlicky halibut grilled on a cedar plank?
<raises hand>
__________________
Originally Posted by Velo Vol View Post
People here don't get it.
Velo Vol is offline  
Old 04-25-21, 05:02 PM
  #2299  
abshipp 
Senior Member
 
abshipp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 3,554

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2014 Canfield Nimble 9, 2020 Holdsworth Competition

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2800 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 934 Posts
We're unloading our truck right now.

Very happy to report that all bikes made the trip unharmed
abshipp is offline  
Likes For abshipp:
Old 04-25-21, 05:05 PM
  #2300  
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred
 
DougRNS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Metro Atl.
Posts: 8,822

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6413 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 884 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06 View Post
Just throwing it out there, we use straight talk, and have had no issues at all with it. 90 bucks a month for two lines with more than enough data.
Comcast mobile $12/line and $60/month for 10Gb of data. $96 total month
DougRNS is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.