Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Are people lazy, inattentive, or just whatever?

Notices
Foo Light hearted off-topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 08-24-21, 06:21 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1416 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 449 Posts

All summer I have been selling my collection of vintage and newer bike stuff on craigslist. In the title of each posting is a easy description of the item. For example if it is a bike the title looks like this: Vintage Raleigh International 1970 58cm green
In the listing itself the brand, model, year size and color are repeated in the first line then more details after that. Without exception, every bike or part that has been listed and someone sends an email they will ask "what is the color?" or "what size is it?"

My question is thus, are people lazy and do not read the listings? Or do they read the listings, but simply do not register what they have just read? Or am I an a**hat, and need to simply shut up and deal with it?
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 08-24-21, 07:29 PM
StupidlyBrave 
Chepooka

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1400 7spd; 2001 Litespeed Arenberg 10 speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 466 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
My question is thus, are people lazy and do not read the listings? Or do they read the listings, but simply do not register what they have just read?
I'd live to know myself. Like you, I try to address every detail to minimize any wasted time on the part of potential buyers. I am doing them a favor? Maybe they just don't know how to start a conversation. Maybe they've seen so many ads placed with inconsistent details, impossible "facts" or pics which don't seem to match the description that they start to question everything from everyone.

... need to simply shut up and deal with it?
I'm not sure you have a choice here. *shrugs*
Old 08-24-21, 08:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15356 Post(s)
Liked 9,138 Times in 4,512 Posts
Uh…Just look at many responses on BF.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-24-21, 10:05 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 118 Posts
I have concluded that they are just phishing for a bloke to scam.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 08-24-21, 10:37 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 2,418 Times in 1,568 Posts
To misquote Dean Wormer, some folks grew up thinking fat, lazy, stupid, narcissistic and mean really was the way to get through life.

Every day I read social media I'm persuaded we have exactly the society we deserve. Most of what passes for communication now is memes expressing complex thoughts distilled down to target the dumbest element of society... and they still get it wrong.

It's not just that they can't, or won't, read even the simplest instructions. They can. But they still believe their personal phrasing of the same damn question makes them so special it deserves a special reply, cream filled, sugar coated and cut into neat wedges specifically for them.

And those same meatpuppets express their own uniquely individualistic "thoughts" which amount to little more than regurgitated propaganda with absolute certainty.

As a longtime caregiver for three elderly family members at home for as long as possible (something I was glad to do, despite my cynicism about other people), one thing I learned was that as their physical and mental capabilities diminished, the world existed for them only within a decreasingly narrow plane. Eventually anything above their foreheads or below their chins did not exist. I joked around that the ideal home would be a single continuous shelf placed at their eye level, running along the entire house, with everything they needed or wanted on that shelf and nowhere else. And that was just for my grandparents, who retained most of their cognitive abilities. My mom also suffered from dementia, so not only did she need a single continuous shelf, but one that refreshed itself daily with self-announcing instructions for its purpose, as she began to forget almost everything other than her memories of childhood and young adulthood, which she retained until the end.

In the online world, many people seem to be incapable of remembering more than a single, simple statement of instructions, or to scroll a page to view the entire contents. Yet somehow they seem to manage to drive cars, work some sort of job, find their way to and from home, feed themselves and give the appearance of functioning as more or less autonomous meatsacks.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-25-21, 12:55 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Timberjack, Expert TG, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked 1,502 Times in 982 Posts
I think this should be a poll, but speaking for myself, I’m just whatever.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-25-21, 07:21 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12107 Post(s)
Liked 3,727 Times in 2,569 Posts
yes
Old 08-25-21, 07:50 AM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 551 Times in 258 Posts
I think this offers some clues:

Likes For johnnyace:
Old 08-25-21, 11:32 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 243 Posts
Even if the curve is 'normal' (I suspect a lot of skew), half of the people are more stupid than average. The right-siders aren't asking you those questions. Applies to drivers, too. Out on the road, I have to keep reminding myself that every-other car is a below-average driver.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 08-25-21, 01:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 202 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15356 Post(s)
Liked 9,138 Times in 4,512 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes View Post
The right-siders aren't asking you those questions.
What's a "right-sider"?
Old 08-25-21, 01:24 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 356 Posts
All summer I have been selling my collection of vintage and newer bike stuff on craigslist. In the title of each posting is a easy description of the item. For example if it is a bike the title looks like this: Vintage Raleigh International 1970 58cm green
In the listing itself the brand, model, year size and color are repeated in the first line then more details after that. Without exception, every bike or part that has been listed and someone sends an email they will ask "what is the color?" or "what size is it?"

My question is thus, are people lazy and do not read the listings? Or do they read the listings, but simply do not register what they have just read? Or am I an a**hat, and need to simply shut up and deal with it?

The thing to understand about replies from CL is that the majority of them aren't "human" at all.

I hope you have this listed through an alt. NEVER put your phone/email directly on CL. There are people that mine #'s and email for "spammers" (in a general sense) and CL is among sites they heavily use to populate such lists.

Aside from that aspect, would suspect that most actual humans see the headline and reply without reading details. I have been guilty of it myself while hard researching finding a specific item and just bulk messaging in hope that someone will answer back. See the above and reverse it.
I NEVER put my phone number on there and only make it available to potentials after we have had two replies that are on point and make sense. AI is getting really really good.
Old 08-25-21, 01:42 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,930 Posts
most people are bored and drunk. more than likely they can’t read.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-25-21, 02:25 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
most people are bored and drunk. more than likely they can’t read.

He didn't ask specifically about you, as I recall...
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-25-21, 03:37 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2794 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
He didn't ask specifically about you, as I recall...
No beer today as of now but that is subject to change. I need a beer when I am watering everything in the yard and beyond.
Likes For Hondo Gravel:
Old 08-25-21, 03:56 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

^ I find that beer helps me too much with watering things, so I stick to whiskey/bourbon.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-25-21, 10:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2805 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,305 Posts

What is this post about?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-26-21, 05:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
What is this post about?

My understanding was that we were talking about peeing on bushes. Amirite?
Old 08-26-21, 08:10 AM
J.Higgins 
Covid Hermit

Bikes: Bilenky Tourlite, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1379 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 448 Posts

Buying/Selling on CL is one of my favorite hobbies. I feel your pain. I try to make my ads bombproof and foolproof, but the fools always win. Over the years I've developed a very patient and pragmatic approach to this.

I think people are JUST. PLAIN. DISTRACTED. So much to see. So much to do. So many distractions, and not enough brainpower or time to process all of it. There's an old computer science term called garbage in, garbage out, and I think that's how peoples' brains process input now. People's brains are so loaded up with junk that its hard for anyone to function. So much information overload, something has to give. Imagine what life was like say, in the 1800's. No distractions! No continuous input of data to our brains to cloud our judgement or reprioritize what needs to be done over what seems to be important at the time. I think without the distractions our lives would be more full, and our feelings and emotions would be stronger and more vibrant.
Likes For J.Higgins:
Old 08-26-21, 12:25 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 12107 Post(s)
Liked 3,727 Times in 2,569 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins View Post
Buying/Selling on CL is one of my favorite hobbies. I feel your pain. I try to make my ads bombproof and foolproof, but the fools always win. Over the years I've developed a very patient and pragmatic approach to this.

I think people are JUST. PLAIN. DISTRACTED. So much to see. So much to do. So many distractions, and not enough brainpower or time to process all of it. There's an old computer science term called garbage in, garbage out, and I think that's how peoples' brains process input now. People's brains are so loaded up with junk that its hard for anyone to function. So much information overload, something has to give. Imagine what life was like say, in the 1800's. No distractions! No continuous input of data to our brains to cloud our judgement or reprioritize what needs to be done over what seems to be important at the time. I think without the distractions our lives would be more full, and our feelings and emotions would be stronger and more vibrant.
My wife has this particular bad habit of reading part of a page or only seeing part of an image... often times she then complains that "the information wasn't there..." My answer is always the same... "did you read the whole thing?" Inevitably the information was right there, maybe in the second or third sentence... I attribute it to the distraction you mention.

Now the flip side is that I am often accused of "taking too much time" to do a thing... That just comes from the fact that I am reading the whole thing or following ALL the instructions.

Frankly, in jest, I blame this all on the fax machine and "next day delivery." People now expect "instant gratification." The internet has reduced information searches that used to take hours to seconds... It used to be you went to a library; looked up in a physical card catalog for the information you wanted; went through the stacks to find the books and then read them; carefully taking notes.

Now a 10 second google search returns something, and people do not even bother verifying that information with subsequent searches. We are rapidly heading towards "idiocracy."
Likes For genec:
Old 08-26-21, 01:38 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by Juan Foote View Post
My understanding was that we were talking about peeing on bushes. Amirite?
Mabybe I didn't read it...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old 08-30-21, 10:13 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 243 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
What's a "right-sider"?
sorry, been away. "data points on the right side of the bell curve"
Old 09-04-21, 06:41 PM
kaseyriot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
the movie Idiocracy explains this well
Likes For kaseyriot:
Old 01-27-22, 03:40 PM
jerrymor

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
I believe that most people are just very and very lazy and unfortunately i am one of them. We all have so much potential in us and very often use our brain on 20-30% only. I've been taken a course about how to turn idea into a business already few months ago and i still didn't move from there anywhere. I honestly think i have a brilliant idea but the laziness takes it over and instead on working on my project i watch tv and play phone games.

Last edited by jerrymor; 01-31-22 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-27-22, 09:10 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by jerrymor View Post
I believe that most people are just very and very lazy
Hey that is jus
Old 01-28-22, 12:59 AM
rsbob 
Sniveling Weasel

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 843 Posts
I give away a lot of stuff on CL. ‘Free’ moves stuff quickly but still get an amazing number of flakes. I too am very descriptive in the title and then go into the weeds in the body along with lots of pictures. Doing technical writing in one of my incarnations makes me detail oriented. Inevitably I get questions about items that I spelled out in plain language - usually at a third grade level. Then I will get a number of, “Is it still available?” And then crickets. A few people are excellent communicators and keep me informed of their every move until pickup but they are the exception. I grew up in the era when if you thought you were interested and changed your mind, you would thank the person and say I had a change of heart. Yeah manners are so old skool.

Of course advertising for free you get the ‘something for nothing’ crowd, so expectations are low. I do question reading aptitude and comprehension - and like others mentioned, it’s probably due to people’s short attention spans.

If your serious about selling stuff, I put it on a specific forum tailored to that audience or EBay - yeah I know they charge too much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.