Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Upgrade. Carbon vs Alum

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-08-22, 06:05 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts

So I am looking at upgrading my current Oval Alum handle bars to something more aero. Almost everything on my Fuji has been upgraded. I am looking at the Easton SL70 Aero Carbon or The Zipp SR70 Aero Carbon, but I also found The Bontrager Aero VR-CF Road Bar, the later looks promising just a little heavier than the first two choices but also 1/3 the price because they are not carbon. Leaning to the Bontrager because it has room to mount my Quad Lock mount. Thoughts? Are Carbon bars worth the money?
Old 01-08-22, 06:24 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,911 Posts
Well carbon bars do have some inherent, but ultimately minor advantages. Lower weight, better vibration damping and they don't corrode with sweat. Are they worth the money? That's your call entirely. But if I was "upgrading" my bars I would choose carbon.
Old 01-08-22, 06:58 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 117 Posts
I use carbon bars (and aero ones) for comfort...weight and aero are not considerations but they will be slight advantages. Go for either one. Over hours, they are more comfortable than any alloy bar I have tried...road and gravel and even MTB. I really like the Zipp with its short reach and they are very comfy.
Old 01-08-22, 08:30 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by beeballman
So I am looking at upgrading my current Oval Alum handle bars to something more aero. Almost everything on my Fuji has been upgraded. I am looking at the Easton SL70 Aero Carbon or The Zipp SR70 Aero Carbon, but I also found The Bontrager Aero VR-CF Road Bar, the later looks promising just a little heavier than the first two choices but also 1/3 the price because they are not carbon. Leaning to the Bontrager because it has room to mount my Quad Lock mount. Thoughts? Are Carbon bars worth the money?
GCN did a comparison of carbon vs Al bars a while back - the conclusion (albeit with a pretty small sample) was that Al could take the big hits better, but that CF had vastly greater fatigue resistance IMO fatigue- and corrosion resistance trump absolute strength every time for this application. I would think that if you hit the ground hard enough to break CF bars, having to replace bars is pretty low on your list of problems.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 01-08-22, 08:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
If you've upgraded everything else, buying aluminum bars at this point will probably mean that you'll just end up buying a set of carbon bars sooner rather than later, anyway. Just get them now.

Personally, I like the feel of carbon bars, and I've had them on each of my last three primary bikes. I've got the Easton EC70 Aero on my Cervelo. Nice bars, I really like them - feel nice, look sharp. On my old Domane, I used to have some carbon Bontragers - the VR-CF shape is nice, too (the Easton's are similar and also have a subtle flare).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 01-08-22, 08:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Carbon bars are a nice upgrade; weight reduction (< 200 g) and vibration attenuation. Geometry (width, reach, drop) and comfort (same factors plus bar cross-section) are key considerations. "Aero" handlebars (to the extent that they lower CdA or otherwise improve aerodynamics) may not be as comfortable as ovalized tops.
Old 01-08-22, 10:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
The vibration thing has been real in my experience with carbon bars. Noticable, not huge. Appreciated after a couple hours. 🙂
Old 01-08-22, 10:38 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 152 Posts
If you ride in cold weather carbon bars are noticeably warmer than aluminum.
Likes For RGMN:
Old 01-09-22, 04:31 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 214 Posts
Before choosing between alloy vs carbon, you should consider shape carefully. Me, I much prefer an all round bar made from a slim tube, and thick tape. I too have a fuji and very much dislike the bar it came with, - too thick on the top and the drop bend back is much too short. Wouldn't help me one bit replacing it with carbon if that was the only difference.

On a side note id suggest that the possible flex in a carbon bar is much greater than what is achievable in alloy. Alloy is susceptible to fatigue induced by repeated bending. Thus they are make very stiff to prevent it. Same with alloy frames. Carbon can be made to be flexible with out the risk of them breaking from fatigue. For that reason I think carbon have some advantages that may be realised in a proper design. Then again, at the usual price point of carbon bar other options in suspension stems emerges too.
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 01-09-22, 06:59 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
Are there any inherent issues using an alloy stem with carbon bars?
Old 01-09-22, 07:24 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Well carbon bars do have some inherent, but ultimately minor advantages. Lower weight, better vibration damping and they don't corrode with sweat. Are they worth the money? That's your call entirely. But if I was "upgrading" my bars I would choose carbon.
I have had multiple locals break corroded alloy bars.

I vote carbon if only for that reason. Not a free ride to abuse or neglect bar tape changes and cleaning, but less risk there.
Old 01-09-22, 08:36 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Bloody expensive handlebars, carbon is. Is it worth $300, vs. $50 for aluminum ?, not in my world.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 01-09-22, 10:59 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Everything you might want to know: https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galva...olymers/2/1556

The aluminum stem may be subject to galvanic corrosion, but that should be easily observed. Of course, you can isolate the two which would reduce the likelihood.

I have not seen any problem in the year since switching to carbon bars.

Now, the real issue is how do I explain to my wife that these are essential despite the cost: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...xoC4-IQAvD_BwE
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-09-22, 02:14 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
More aero would be an out front mount with dedicated bike computer instead of a big smartphone sitting on top of a quad lock...
Likes For surak:
Old 01-09-22, 06:07 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Less wind resistance than a Karoo 2 or Wahoo device out front they are double the the thickness of my phone hitting the wind. Plus Chris Frome uses one when training, not during races.
Old 01-09-22, 06:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Everything you might want to know: https://www.corrosionpedia.com/galva...olymers/2/1556

The aluminum stem may be subject to galvanic corrosion, but that should be easily observed. Of course, you can isolate the two which would reduce the likelihood.

I have not seen any problem in the year since switching to carbon bars.

Now, the real issue is how do I explain to my wife that these are essential despite the cost: https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...xoC4-IQAvD_BwE
that is a very low stack cf bar. wonder if something similar with different height options are available elsewhere?
Old 01-09-22, 07:43 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9526 Post(s)
Liked 6,268 Times in 3,456 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
that is a very low stack cf bar. wonder if something similar with different height options are available elsewhere?
You can use spacers under it.

Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-09-22, 09:40 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
You can use spacers under it.

might be limited if the steer is not protruding enough.
Old 01-10-22, 02:46 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
I like carbon bars. Is there a "real world" difference in vibration reduction / increased comfort? I can't say for sure, but I think so (small difference). They're a contact point, so it does pay to get it right. Then if you go for full-on aero shaped bars or an integrated bar/stem combo then carbon gives you plenty of options. Personally I think there's an advantage to quality carbon handlebars.

But of course, is that difference worth:

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Bloody expensive handlebars, carbon is. Is it worth $300, vs. $50 for aluminum ?, not in my world.
Arguably not the most cost effective upgrade!

That's a decision you'll need to figure out for yourself.
Old 01-10-22, 12:48 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I've had plenty of carbon and aluminum bars. Whether it is worth it to spend extra on carbon really depends on the bar. There are good and bad carbon and aluminum bars.

What is more important is that the drop, reach and bar shape fits your needs. Also, note that a lot of aerobars flare at the drops. So a bar that is 42cm wide at the hoods can be 44cm wide at the drops.

And if aero is your goal:
  • Narrower bars will likely have a greater impact than aero shaped tops.
  • Carbon bars likely have better shaping than aluminum.
Lastly, there is nothing wrong with using an aluminum stem on carbon bars. Just make sure you use the correct torque specs on the bar.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 01-10-22, 03:24 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Not sure what you meant by "inherent" issues here. Other than more diligence regarding torque specifications, there are less issues with using an alloy stem with a carbon bar than with an alloy bar.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Lastly, there is nothing wrong with using an aluminum stem on carbon bars. Just make sure you use the correct torque specs on the bar.
Exactly. And better off putting what one would have spent on a carbon stem toward a better carbon bar.
Old 01-10-22, 03:43 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,937 Times in 1,811 Posts
One can argue about performance, but the hand positioning and grip of aero carbon bars sure has a different feel to them compared to round alloy bars. I like my Easton EC90s for sure, but maybe not everybody would.
Old 01-10-22, 04:51 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by beeballman
Less wind resistance than a Karoo 2 or Wahoo device out front they are double the the thickness of my phone hitting the wind. Plus Chris Frome uses one when training, not during races.
I think it's Wahoo advertises their computer mount is aerodynamic.

What silly ****.
Old 01-10-22, 05:13 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
Oh yeah, aerodynamics is all about thin frontal area. That's why all the latest aero frame shapes are thin tubes.
Old 01-10-22, 06:27 PM
beeballman
beeballman

Sweet looking bike and set up!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.