Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Walking up hills

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 03:04 PM
Robofunc

Bikes: Schwinn, Bottecchia, Miyata, projects

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paktinat
33% grade, for reference:
The ramps for the overpasses on one of our local trails are about this steep, some less so. They are tough to climb and the longer your ride, the more you have to contend with. Sometimes, by the end of a ride I'm so tired I have to walk up them just to conserve enough energy to finish.

But if you keep your effort level constant and allow your speed to fall as you climb, you get less tired, which is something.
Old 07-21-11, 03:20 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EssEllSee
Agreed, aside from street cred, I see no reason for riding a fixed gear in a place like SF. I would go geared (and I love fixed more than anything).

IMO SF ain't got **** on Seattle, mainly cause the hills in SF can be avoided to go most places you want to go....not so true in Seattle.

Yeah, we got mad street credz here!
Old 07-21-11, 03:20 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Is there even a percent or two difference between SS and roadie? I guess maybe between fixed and roadie.

But it's also likely that the fixed has loose toe clips that you can't even pull up with, whereas the roadie will have clipless pedals
From what I've read it would be right above the road bike's 98% efficiency (assume they were testing the best of the best to get that number, so would drop it down a little bit for your average road bike).

A planetary/internal gear hub is more in the 93% range, unless you get into the $1,000+ Rohloff stuff.

So going from 98% to say 99%, won't really be too apperent to the rider, while not being able to shift will make a world of difference in feel.
Old 07-21-11, 03:28 PM
DrewShannon

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scroca
There is no law against walking a hill, regardless of what all these htfu guys imply.

You say you just started and you intend to lose weight. It will take time.

Keep at it and get as far as you can each ride. Eventually you may be able to get all the way up without walking. If not, there is no law against walking a hill...
+1
Old 07-21-11, 03:29 PM
andrizzle
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ianjk
If I take the track bike out, I need to walk the last three blocks (of a 8 block hill) on the ride home. 48x18 (way too high). My other bike is 38x17 and it is still a workout.
biking in duluth is like swimming in the north sea
Old 07-21-11, 03:40 PM
jdgesus 
sɹɐʇsɟoןןnɟsʇıbɟɯo

Bikes: fixed gear recumbent trike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
IMO SF ain't got **** on Seattle, mainly cause the hills in SF can be avoided to go most places you want to go....not so true in Seattle.

seattle has the most hilly downtown core of any US city.
there is no way around it if you need to ride downtown.. 38x20 would be the only way i could imagine doing it fixed.
instead, i just take long routes around and attack my downtown targets from easier (yet longer away) trajectory

next step is recumbent.

my bikes | bike blog | beer blog | work 1 | work 2
Old 07-21-11, 03:43 PM
dsprehe89

Bikes: 2013 Stumpjumper HT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paktinat
33% grade, for reference:
If that is 33% then one of this hills is well over 33%. But it is only a block long. The other hill is closer to 15-20 from the pics I have seen, but it is closer to a quarter mile long. There are tons of very short yet very steep hill here in Collinsville IL, where I live. Luckily most of them are preceded by short downhill for me to gain speed, just not these two.

To everyone who says to change my gearing, I've been planning on it, just ran out of money for this project. I'm going to go with a 53:20 which should be the in between a 44:16 and 44:17. as long as the number of teeth on a cog is linearly equivalent to the cogs diameter. Does anyone know whether this is true or not? I've been wondering about it while doing calculations to see what gearing I should get that would be easiest on the budget and not having to replace the crank is always a cheaper solution so staying at a 53T chainring with a different rear cog size would be the best option for me.
Old 07-21-11, 03:47 PM
dsprehe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, basically you need my MTB to get anywhere there. These hills I'm having issue with are nothing when you have a lowest available gearing of 22:35..... actually they are still hard cause you have to have such a high cadence to even be moving at all.
Old 07-21-11, 03:57 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Bikes: Surly crosscheck ssfg, Custom vintage french racing bike, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my touring bike has a 22-32-42 crank on it.....

It's nice to have options.
Old 07-21-11, 04:10 PM
dsprehe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well my touring bike has a 22-32-42 crank on it.....

It's nice to have options.
That is what my MTB has on it, along with a shimano mega range rear cassette. It can conquer some hill... but sucks for road use.
Old 07-21-11, 04:24 PM
zoltani
sniffin' glue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
That is what my MTB has on it, along with a shimano mega range rear cassette. It can conquer some hill... but sucks for road use.
true dat

though I do use this bike for regular road use
Old 07-21-11, 04:25 PM
LocoTracks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdgesus
seattle has the most hilly downtown core of any US city.
there is no way around it if you need to ride downtown.. 38x20 would be the only way i could imagine doing it fixed.
instead, i just take long routes around and attack my downtown targets from easier (yet longer away) trajectory
The only places I ever avoided going in Seattle I've ever avoided riding fixed were Queen Anne from downtown and Discovery Park, and then those few roads going up from Alaskan or Pike Place to 1st (I've made it up one before but it wasn't worth the effort). There's a few others but nothing I'm ever around.

I ran 48x20 but now I ride the road bike round town.
Old 07-21-11, 04:35 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsprehe89
I know this sounds pathetic, but do any of you ever just walk you SS/FG up hills instead of just forcing through?
Yes, I have walked my bike once because of a ridiculous headwind that was something around 20+ mph.

Last summer, I used a SS bike in the desert because I thought SS was fine for endless flatness. It is. It is not fine for endless headwind. I learned that I would have much better off bringing my road bike.
Old 07-21-11, 06:02 PM
boxerboxer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by andrizzle
biking in duluth is like swimming in the north sea
No effin joke, that. One of the very few things not to like about that town. Downtown's even a little freaky in a car with no snow on the ground.
Old 07-21-11, 07:15 PM
toosahn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i did lunges today after not doing them for 2 years. amazing how i immediately noticed the development of more muscle capacity on the ride home from the gym.
Old 07-21-11, 07:22 PM
dsprehe89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by toosahn
i did lunges today after not doing them for 2 years. amazing how i immediately noticed the development of more muscle capacity on the ride home from the gym.
Me and my fiancé have started doing yoga, and not that just relax and stretch yoga. It involve these things that they call the "warrior position" it is like doing lunges on crack. My legs were killing me afterwards. I was hoping that yoga would make me more flexible for rock climbing, but I think it is going to make me gain muscle more than it is going to help be become more flexible.....
Old 07-21-11, 07:38 PM
hwdxbassist

Bikes: Affinity Lo Pro-madison(RIP)-specialzed bmx-

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaytron
Is there even a percent or two difference between SS and roadie? I guess maybe between fixed and roadie.

But it's also likely that the fixed has loose toe clips that you can't even pull up with, whereas the roadie will have clipless pedals

I think we could all go back and forth about differences in torque and acceleration between ss and multi-speeds. but really its about what kind of engine is behind that machine. and theres a supercharger ready to ride in this one.