Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Home dealers push second hand bike prices up

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Home dealers push second hand bike prices up

Old 04-20-20, 12:19 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by browngw
Every old bike I save for others to enjoy makes me a "Better Boomer". This one shown was just picked up by a family member. She was thrilled as she had virtual input during the build in these pandemic times.

Saving the world, one bike at a time!
That is one pretty bike! Do you have a before picture?
Old 04-20-20, 12:23 PM
amishboy51

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Little known fact that the entire Social Security system is just a deep state plot by the government to finance the acquisition and hoarding of all the cheap bikes.

Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.

Whoa, you got me! And here I was, already planning to use my entire stimulus check to enlarge my monopoly!
Likes For amishboy51:
Old 04-20-20, 12:25 PM
TheLizard

Bikes: 2001 Trek 8000

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts
The CL around here is heavily dominated by two flippers, and an occasional 3rd.

They do add value, I'm sure. All the bikes they sell are tuned up and ready to ride, one guy advertises "polished and detailed".

IDK if they're "overpriced," but I've never seen those guys with a bike for sale that I was interested in for the price they were asking. But, then, I'm picky, my budget is low, and I consider fixing up a junker or broken bike a fun activity.

The only thing I find annoying is how they dominate all the bike sales on the local CL. The bikes apparently take a while to sell at all, and they tend to "refresh" all of their ads as soon as the CL system allows it, every day or three? IDK. So, yea, that's a little annoying. If somebody is interested in your bikes, they'll find it. You don't have to bump it to the top of the pages constantly.
Old 04-20-20, 12:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by amishboy51
Whoa, you got me! And here I was, already planning to use my entire stimulus check to enlarge my monopoly!

No. That money is for you to start buying scooters.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-20-20, 12:37 PM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I read thru this a few times and am not sure why it was posted.
This...

.....been inside too long my friend! Too much time on your hands.
Old 04-20-20, 12:56 PM
jrsbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alo
There are some people, often pensioners, who like to make a little extra money to supplement their pension. Some of these deal in second hand bikes. They read the local for sale pages often. When they see a bike cheap, they quickly pick it up. Some even get bikes from the trash. On some bikes they may swap parts. They then sell these bikes at higher prices.

So when an ordinary average person looks for a second hand bike, on the rare occasion they see a cheap bike, it is sold before they have a chance to buy it. The only bikes they can buy are these more expensive second hand bikes from the home dealers. Those who don't know, think these are normal prices for second hand bikes.

In places where you don't have these home dealers, you can find cheap bikes. Where you have these home dealers, second hand bikes are expensive.

Other home dealers do this with computers. In some places, it is impossible to buy a second hand computer at a reasonable price. Only those with little understanding of computers buy them.

Some car dealers also snap up cheap second hand cars for sale privately. Some also sell the worst cars from home, not at the dealership.
Very common practice in Florida. Interesting bikes, including classics get scooped up and advertised at high prices. Many of these languish on Craigslist.
Old 04-20-20, 01:00 PM
krecik

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
Who among us has not dread the pounding on our door in the middle of the night.

From a moderator?!

Wimpiest police state ever.
Clearly missed the sarcasm.
Old 04-20-20, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by krecik
Clearly missed the sarcasm.

Well, judging from the responses to your posts, so did everyone else.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-20-20, 01:14 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
That is one pretty bike! Do you have a before picture?
This one was on a pickup load of property cleanup bikes donated by a good friend. It looked decent on first look but had a 7speed freewheel on 6speed shifters, bent wheel, rusty bars, garbage saddle rotten tires, springy steel brakes, bent rear axle etc. It was originally sold in Canadian sporting goods store, Sport Chek. The frame was dirty but decent and was touched up easily. My LBS had the tires in stock and gave me a good price. Our future daughter-in -law was thrilled.

Old 04-20-20, 01:16 PM
Biketiger

Bikes: 1st Track bike: 1978 Speedwell titanium 1st Road bike: 2001 Independent Fabrication Crown Jewel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 65 Posts
I am okay with anyone finding anything of value and re-selling for a profit. Those who choose to do this often add some value by refurbishing the bikes by cleaning and repairing them and installing tires. Sellers of the newly re-stored bikes may also be of help to their buyers by sharing their knowledge and getting it set up for them properly. This doesn't often happen when someone picks up a bike at a garage sale or thrift store.
I have seen many new riders on the trails since our state ordered non-essential employees to stay home. It's great to see so many more riders out there but so many are riding bikes that are not set up properly for them at all. The number of seatposts I've seen pushed all the way into the top tube with the riders knees bow-legged out. Any opportunity of a newcomer to get some help is a good thing. This is how bike shops are trying to stay in business too. You can buy a new bike from Trek online but they'll ship to a local shop for set-up and service.
Old 04-20-20, 01:28 PM
MDS61

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Bah

Ticket brokers with bots are a legitimate menace. They grab all the seats in milliseconds. You can’t beat them. But, as others have noted, you are on equal footing with the scheming septuagenarian at your local garage sale.
Likes For MDS61:
Old 04-20-20, 01:34 PM
relrrt

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
>>> i would push this to say that any conception of reality that can logically conclude that there is an artificially enhanced 2nd hand bicycle market populated by elderly profiteers is sorely in need of an intervention
haha
Old 04-20-20, 01:37 PM
relrrt

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Ok boomer
Old 04-20-20, 01:37 PM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I occasionally buy and resell bikes—you caught me! Yes, I often peruse the local ads and find bikes that I can sell for a profit. However, this small profit comes after hours of finding parts, replacing cables and housing, waiting on parts shipments, tinkering, cleaning, tuning.

From my perspective, it is not a practical way to make money. It is a good way to take a bike that needs work and might be unsafe or get discarded and turn it into a great bike a rider can actually use. Personally, I like to sell at a price that will move it along quickly. If someone had room to store it, they might be able to hold out enough to actually make money.

I do see bikes that are posted again and again every day for months and fill up my local Craigslist. I am not less annoyed by this than anyone else!
Old 04-20-20, 01:39 PM
krecik

Well, judging from the responses to your posts, so did everyone else.
You're pretty clever aren't you? Here, have a like.
Old 04-20-20, 01:42 PM
relrrt

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Plus,the whole month is 4/20
Old 04-20-20, 02:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by krecik
You're pretty clever aren't you? Here, have a like.

Be still my heart.

BTW, that's sarcasm.

You can have your like back. Think you need it more than I do.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-20-20, 02:34 PM
krecik

Be still my heart.

BTW, that's sarcasm.

You can have your like back. Think you need it more than I do.
Nice one.

See, you can do it too if you try.

Nah, I'll let you have it, good comedians deserve recognition, that one made my day.
Likes For krecik:
Old 04-20-20, 02:51 PM
MilfordJohn

Bikes: Surly LHT, Soma Saga, Bike Friday NWT, Specialized Roubaix SL4, Brompton P6R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sounds like sour grapes to me... if someone, irrespective of age, snaps up a cheap used bike in less-than-perfect condition, then adds a few touches to enhance its value, and sells it for a profit, where is the harm? The seller makes a few bucks and the buyer gets a bike in decent condition for far less than the cost of a new bike.

It is a free market, and every one of us has the same opportunity to scan the want ads for old clunkers in need of fixing up. Pensioners, by virtue of having more time on their hands, may have a bit of an advantage here. That said, I would rather be 35 years old with lots of testosterone and strong legs than the near-70-old duffer I am today.

I guess the other man's grass is always greener.
Likes For MilfordJohn:
Old 04-20-20, 03:39 PM
BadGrandma

Bikes: Surly Cross, Franklin tandem, Culprit Jr., BMX racer

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Buying something and then selling it for more money.

Pretty sneaky. Thank goodness we don’t have businesses set up around this model.
"It's as if the stores bought stuff and then sold it for a higher price", Superstore customer.
Old 04-20-20, 04:00 PM
wle

Bikes: road: 1999 GT road:40Kmi+ // 2001 fuji finest AL:9Kmi+//1991 schwinn paramount ODG:0.1Kmi+

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
oh well
i think it is called 'the free market'
wle
Old 04-20-20, 06:07 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
There are some people, often pensioners, who like to make a little extra money to supplement their pension. Some of these deal in second hand bikes. They read the local for sale pages often. When they see a bike cheap, they quickly pick it up. Some even get bikes from the trash. On some bikes they may swap parts. They then sell these bikes at higher prices.
So when an ordinary average person looks for a second hand bike, on the rare occasion they see a cheap bike, it is sold before they have a chance to buy it. The only bikes they can buy are these more expensive second hand bikes from the home dealers. Those who don't know, think these are normal prices for second hand bikes.
In places where you don't have these home dealers, you can find cheap bikes. Where you have these home dealers, second hand bikes are expensive.
I resemble the OP's remarks, but one big difference. NO PENSION! That is so last generation unfortunately During the recession 12 years ago or so, when there wasn't much else to do, I found you could at least make some gas money buying bikes at garage sales, cleaning them up, and reselling them. I plowed a large part of my profit into tools, supplies, and storage space. The number of flips I did is into the hundreds, small potatoes compared to Thrifty Bill, but I have the arthritic hands to show for my labor. I amassed my own collection, which is upwards of 30 bikes.

My problem for the last few years is winnowing down my resale inventory which takes up about 3.5 garage bays because I don't have time, my hands can hurt, and I have my eyes on a new set of wheels which need a garage bay. Today making money as a as a respectable and honest bike flipper is nearly impossible. A set of basic road tires is $36, $72 if you mount Panaracers. Asking prices for junk bikes is high, both on line and at estate sales. Parts and parts shipping have increased considerably as well.

Market price is set by buyer and seller, but the buyer has the upper hand. Lately, road bikes have been unpopular and large MTBs fly out the door. A reversal in consumer demand over the last 5 years.

I have bought only 3 bikes since 2017, a Bianchi MTB, and Ironman, and a Miehle Mixte.

If you can't find deals near you, bring a 26' box truck and I can set you up at my cost!

Last edited by oddjob2; 04-20-20 at 06:28 PM.
Likes For oddjob2:
Old 04-20-20, 06:43 PM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
This "pensioneer", in age only, sold this for $300 today. My cost IIRC is $65 +/- for the base bike, purchased from PedalTraveler. I built it up for my own use a few years ago, but road it only 10-12 times. Parts include a complete Suntour Superb group, Nitto custom stem, new Continental tires, all new consumables, etc. So the fmv for the parts kit is probably $175 +/-, making my profit about what a basic bike tune up runs. The local bike non-profit, if they were open would get $550 for it.
Likes For oddjob2:
Old 04-20-20, 11:01 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
Originally Posted by alo

......The only bikes they can buy are these more expensive second hand bikes from the home dealers. Those who don't know, think these are normal prices for second hand bikes.

In places where you don't have these home dealers, you can find cheap bikes. Where you have these home dealers, second hand bikes are expensive......
Are you looking for "bikes" ?

Most people only need (or want) one bike.......Seems to me that anyone looking for "bikes" to buy, wants to resell them.
Old 04-21-20, 03:44 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
PT Barnum was correct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.