Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you like giant cycling glasses?
Yes
25.53%
No, I like regular sized sun glasses
55.32%
Squinting works just fine
19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Sunglasses

Old 07-21-20, 01:02 PM
Mir3886

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sunglasses

I started cycling (road, MTB) in the late 90s and have been out of it for the last 7-8 years pursuing other activities. One thing I’ve recently noticed getting back to it on social media (yeah I know) and pros are that the sunglasses now look like ski goggles.
I proudly rocked Oakley M Frames for years so I get the wrap around look but does everyone else enjoy these new shapes?
Also, what brands do you guys like?
Old 07-21-20, 01:43 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I wear Oakley Half Jackets, have for many years, with different lenses for various light levels. Have served me very well. No reason to change.
Likes For Climb14er:
Old 07-21-20, 01:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
too big & they tend to fog faster. Regular sized shades.
Old 07-21-20, 01:57 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I've been wearing my pilot frames for almost 50 years. They never go out of style and ask me if I even care.
Old 07-21-20, 03:08 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
The current trend of larger glasses is primarily being driven by the less obstructed view afforded by taller glasses when in an aggressive position and looking out along the top of the glasses. If you don't position yourself this aggressively or if you have helmet/cap that is going to obstruct that view anyway, there's no functional reason to go that route.
Old 07-21-20, 03:44 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
The primary reason for wearing "sunglasses" while bike riding is (or at least should be) to provide protection from harmful solar radiation and minimize potential for injury from any number of environmental hazards (branches, road debris etc). Secondary reason (the primary reason for many) is to look cool and sexy to whom ever they are wishing to impress 😜. I've had many types of "eye pro" over the years and yes even the "cool / sexy" ones 😉. As I age, I've decided that "cool and sexy" are less important than "high level protection"! Currently, I've been using UVEX Genesis military grade "eye pro". Clearly not as "cool and sexy" as what's available but I've found them to be way more than adequate. The impact resistance will certainly provide protection from nearly anything encountered during a bike ride. They have high level UV protection. They are scratch resistant and have an anti-fog coating. Additionally, the design incorporates airflow venting to further minimize fogging. OK, they do have a bit of a "bug eye" look but I've seen worse 🙄. That does allow for excellent vision without any interference from the frame or edges of the lens. The fit is very comfortable and the "Croakie" type retention strap keeps them in place.
Bottom line is, of course, personal preference! I do imagine that there are a great many options available that may even meet both levels of priority 👍!
Old 07-21-20, 03:52 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Own a nice pair of Oakley Black Iridiums, but prefer plain yellow or brown tint safety glasses with 2.0 bifocals. Many bugs have met their end on my safety glasses.
Old 07-21-20, 03:54 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
The primary reason for wearing "sunglasses" while bike riding is (or at least should be) to provide protection from harmful solar radiation and minimize potential for injury from any number of environmental hazards (branches, road debris etc). Secondary reason (the primary reason for many) is to look cool and sexy to whom ever they are wishing to impress 😜. I've had many types of "eye pro" over the years and yes even the "cool / sexy" ones 😉. As I age, I've decided that "cool and sexy" are less important than "high level protection"! Currently, I've been using UVEX Genesis military grade "eye pro". Clearly not as "cool and sexy" as what's available but I've found them to be way more than adequate. The impact resistance will certainly provide protection from nearly anything encountered during a bike ride. They have high level UV protection. They are scratch resistant and have an anti-fog coating. Additionally, the design incorporates airflow venting to further minimize fogging. OK, they do have a bit of a "bug eye" look but I've seen worse 🙄. That does allow for excellent vision without any interference from the frame or edges of the lens. The fit is very comfortable and the "Croakie" type retention strap keeps them in place.
Bottom line is, of course, personal preference! I do imagine that there are a great many options available that may even meet both levels of priority 👍!
nah, the sunglasses I wear, I can wear at night... day, rain or shine & still look sane. Now shirts, I'm too sexy for my shirt. So I wear a jersey or an active slevelessless top.
Old 07-21-20, 04:10 PM
pvillemasher

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I wear big Roka glasses. When I'm in the drops I have an unobstructed view of the road, helps prevent neck pain because I don't need to lift my head up to see
Old 07-21-20, 04:10 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
nah, the sunglasses I wear, I can wear at night... day, rain or shine & still look sane. Now shirts, I'm too sexy for my shirt. So I wear a jersey or an active slevelessless top.
I have a clear lens that I can easily swap out for a night ride 😎.
RE: shirts, I hear ya! I have a collection of cycling jerseys that l'll wear when it's cooler (short and long sleeved). Sunny, mid day Summer rides are almost always sleeveless 😉.
If I was, younger, thinner, unmarried (and a lot of other things to include looking like the Antonio Banderas of 30 years ago &#128580, I might consider riding shirtless (with bibs) but alas, I'm none of those things 😜!
Back on topic, my UVEX Genesis "shades" are perfect for me!
Old 07-21-20, 04:11 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
I have worn polarized sunglasses for decades, and found no perceptible difference between sunglasses from the fishing supply area of Walmart and designer offerings from REI or outfitter stores. I go for gold tinted reflecting lenses personally.
Old 07-21-20, 06:29 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I've got a whole drawer full of Uvex safety glasses in all levels of tint from clear to dark and even chrome. They're good value items that wear well and look good.
Old 07-21-20, 06:51 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
I've got a whole drawer full of Uvex safety glasses in all levels of tint from clear to dark and even chrome. They're good value items that wear well and look good.
Similarly, I get 3M safety sunglasses or clear safety glasses from a hardware store. Cheap, good impact resistance, and UV protection.
Likes For 400E:
Old 07-21-20, 07:48 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Are there such things as sun-contact lenses?
Edit: googled.. these look like the ticket, though I don't need a prescription. If these sold these on a shelf at the local CVS it might be worth a try. Doesn't solve the need for protection from thrown pebbles or whatnot though
https://www.cnet.com/health/these-tr...d-i-love-them/

Last edited by Sy Reene; 07-21-20 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 08:46 PM
SpeedRanger

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 18 Posts
Are these considered giant glasses?

Old 07-21-20, 09:16 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the large frames you're asking about. I primarily choose sunglasses based on whether they have brown hued, polarized lenses or not (they must have both of those features). After that, I compare them on how they fit, how much they block light coming in from above the frame. And very important: the frame must be thin enough to accommodate a clip-on bicycling mirror. I look to budget sources and have never paid more than $17/pair. I've gotten a few redundant pairs from Target. I noticed that Walgreens might be a good source too but have yet to check them out.
Old 07-21-20, 09:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
# 4) I'm By the ocean in the PNW, they're rarely needed because it's often overcast, with clouds..
Old 07-22-20, 12:29 AM
merrman
Long time lurker

Bikes: 88 Marinoni Special, 86 Miyata 1000, 87 Miyata 712, 81 Apollo Imperial, 81 Apollo Gran Tour, 81 Apollo Gran Sport, Nishiki International, Diamond back ascent, Raleigh superbe, Raleigh sport

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Polarized smith sunglasses regular sized with blue or rose tint. Do the cycling specific glasses make you faster. 😉
Old 07-22-20, 05:00 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Originally Posted by sovende
The primary reason for wearing "sunglasses" while bike riding is (or at least should be) to provide protection from harmful solar radiation and minimize potential for injury from any number of environmental hazards (branches, road debris etc)!
The primary reason I wear glasses when I ride is so that I can see clearly enough to ride safely.
Old 07-22-20, 05:21 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
My primary reason for wearing glasses is to protect my corneas from damage. I use cycling-specific glasses with interchangeable lenses. Clear for night or pre-dawn riding. Amber for diffuse light/overcast conditions. Dark for direct sun.

Cycling specific doesn't mean production glasses that are "cross-marketed" to bicyclists. It means that the lens position is raised relative to the nose bridge, allowing you to look through the lens while peering under the brow line, as riders do. Also, light weight, wrap around, grippy silicon pad arms and nose pads. Are they "large" or "oversized"? I'd say no.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-22-20, 06:33 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
This isn't a new thing. 80s cycling glasses like the Oakley Eyeshade were absolutely huge ski goggle looking things. The early ones even had foam brow pads. Jawbreakers are a deliberate reference back to the Eyeshades and Factory Pilots. When I first started racing in '87, I searched high and low for a pair of Rudy Project Super Performance glasses which were a very large wrap around design. These were like a holy grail for a cycling kid in late 80s America, I never found a pair for sale. The current Oakley Sutro looks very similar to those classics. The smaller designs didn't really start to be popular until the early 90s when the Oakley Blades came out. Lance made that style famous in the late 90s / early 2000s.

Personally, I currently like the 100% S2 and Racetrap. If you don't want to spend that money, no name Chinese brands (non-bootleg) on Aliexpress have recently started producing some nice designs for $15 shipped with lots of lenses. I have many, many pairs of sunglasses now.

Last edited by Hiro11; 07-22-20 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-22-20, 06:54 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
I have to wear some sort of glasses (large ones being better than small) because I have Rosacea and it primarily affects me in my eyes. Specifically, it does something to my tears which makes my eyes sting badly if they start to get watery. They sting badly as if I'd put in drops of burning acid! Some days are perfectly fine but on some days the slightest breeze will bother me within a couple minutes. Blocking the wind is critical so the large glasses are a must.
Old 07-22-20, 07:34 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
My sunglass lenses are bigger than my everyday glasses, for whatever that's worth. I don't think they're "huge" or "oversized," though. They're also prescription, so I shop for glasses with a different set of considerations.

The more I hear people talk about just using clear-lensed whatever, the more I feel like I'm the only blue-eyed person left. I have to wear sunglasses, because as far as my eyes are concerned it's just really, really bright outside-- clear or cloudy.

But hey, "better than average night vision," according to the ophthalmologist.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
# 4) I'm By the ocean in the PNW, they're rarely needed because it's often overcast, with clouds..
You know UV rays go straight through clouds, right? Heavy overcast might block 20% of rays. Photokeratitis is a thing.
Old 07-22-20, 07:37 AM
HobieKen 

Bikes: 2021 TREK Rail 5, 2016 Santa Cruz Tallboy, 2017 Cannondale Quick 5 Disc

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wear the prescription Costas that I wear when on my kayaks and sailboat. When I raced mountain bikes and wore contacts, Oakleys were the rage. After losing several pairs on the trails, I started wearing cheap copies I bought at the flea market, didn't hurt as bad when I lost or broke them. So no preference I just wear what I've got.
Old 07-22-20, 08:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
So, let me get this straight: I put on very tight, brightly-colored lycra, head to toe. I then put on weird shoes that mechanically attach to my pedals. I then put a big plastic mushroomy thing on my head and strap it under my chin. And I'm supposed to be concerned that my big wraparound sunglasses make me look odd?
Likes For Koyote:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.