Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Micargi Roasca Men's City Bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 01:38 PM
MacMorrighan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey guys, I just discovered Micargi Bicycles, and I was wondering if they produce quality merchandise (I'm wanting to live car-free), or would I be throwing my money away?
Old 07-23-21, 02:00 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
The road bike collection on their site shows a ridden and used older Fuji as the picture to click on for road bikes...and then you go to a page with half the links missing pics and all the links offering low/entry level bikes.
Cant say that would be much of a confidence booster for me.

OP- which city bike are you considering and whats it cost?
Old 07-23-21, 06:10 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
They look kinda department store quality, but if that works for you, than have at it.
Old 07-23-21, 08:17 PM
RandomlyWest

Bikes: 2021 Batch Mountain Bicycle, 1989 Schwinn Impact, 2018 Micargi Avant, 1985 Asahi 790, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 2021 SE Lager

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I have a Micargi road bike (an Avant), and it's decent. It's basically a Giant AnyRoad with components one level down (Claris vs. Sora).

Micargi is headquartered in Southern California, and that's where you see people riding their bikes, at least in the U.S. I've never seen a Micargi outside of the Southland. They don't have high-end bikes in their lineup ... not yet, anyway, but it appears they are greatly expanding their U.S. offerings, so some more mid-level bikes might appear. They were known mostly for fixies and cruisers in the 2010s. Interestingly, they offer an old-school steel road bike in their lineup, the Classic (again, by no means high-end).

Looking at the Roasca, it appears to be a stylish city bike, but not a bike I would grab for a 25-mile ride, let alone tour on.
Old 07-23-21, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
They look like maybe a small tiny notch above Wally-Mart close to a low quality Schwinn Admiral but with some barely nicer parts.

If you are trying to live car free a cheap bike with Tourney level components is not the way to go at all. 105 or Deore level makes some sense but lower than that probably isn't ideal if you want reliability which as a car free cyclist you would want. Go with quality brands people have heard of and that have stores that sell them in your locality and go for something that works well for you and will be reliable.
Old 07-28-21, 05:19 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Unless they've way, way upped their game in the last decade, a Micargi is not a bicycle. Every Micargi I've ever seen made a WalMart Mongoose look like a Colnago.

Just walk away... because if you ride away on a Micargi, you're gonna be walking anyway.

--Shannon