Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Where did you ride in Southern California today?

Old 03-28-20, 10:42 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
40+ miles from mission valley up to claremont then east to tierrasanta and over the pass on the 52 fwy bike path. santee up to san carlos then over to lake murray area
and down to la mesa. la mesa back to metro sd mostly via university ave. relatively subdued affair. got nicer in the afternoon with more sunshine and less wind.
descended claremont mesa to the 15 fwy (usually going the other way and ascending) and the pavement on the last half mile (30-35mph) to the 15 fwy is trashy
(be berry berry careful) and not much better for about the same distance on the flattish east side of the 15 fwy heading eastbound on claremont mesa.
on the good side, the parallel bike path just west of the 805 fwy north of balboa ave nearly up to claremont mesa blvd is recently repaved and a nice little escape.
unfortunately, the bike path stretch north of claremont mesa that starts/ends by the creepy invisible motel 6 and goes to/from the park off peyton place (no, really!)
isn't redone as well but it wasn't nearly as bad.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-29-20, 05:45 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Thirty miles to PCH and back. There was LOTS of traffic. With parking lots for beaches, parks and hiking trails closed, people were parking on the shoulders, which made it interesting in an already crowded PCH.

Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-29-20, 07:49 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Tried to isolate from others and stayed off GMR and the MUPS and did a little tour from home of my local canyons. Saw about 50 other riders today mostly solo and one group of four descending Carbon Cyn into Brea. About 70 miles and 7K of climb in Powder, Brea, Carbon, Soquel and Turnbull Canyons. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4713586806
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-29-20, 09:11 PM
ERdept
ERdept

Bikes: Ridley LIZ, yes, a girl's bike!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yesterday, I rode Glendora Mountain Road to "The Village".

The road was closed to cars, so besides the view the ride was amazing.

Descended almost no brakes for 20 min.

It was literally the ride of my life. I had a smile for hours.

If anyone wants to go again this or next month, lemme know.
Old 03-29-20, 10:28 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Originally Posted by ERdept

yah...gmr will do that to you.

Last edited by diphthong; 03-29-20 at 10:38 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-29-20, 10:38 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

two rides today. a middling, roundabout 15-miler to the old town train station here in san diego near the 5/8 freeways intersection.
then, took the train (totally empty) up to oceanside and a 50-miler back home via (mostly) the coast. first ride was coolish but second ride found me
stripping a few layers as it seemed to get to nearly 70 degrees. the sun felt great on the old bones. was in little hurry on the way back
but tried to compensate for a lack of effort by doing the steeper, inside route at torrey pines and then the northern, brutal ascent of mt. soledad.
pavement up the north side of mt. soledad is still not so great on the ascent (and looked to be even worse than ever on that descent).
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-30-20, 05:58 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
All that extra PCH parking traffic makes those rides more dangerous, on the other hand I bet the beach strands can now be used for faster riding?
Old 03-30-20, 06:00 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 777 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by ERdept

Bet you got a few PR's for those descents?
Likes For joesch:
Old 03-30-20, 09:22 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
All that extra PCH parking traffic makes those rides more dangerous, on the other hand I bet the beach strands can now be used for faster riding?
Almost all are closed. Although I was told the path from Huntington Beach Cliffs to the Santa Ana River Getty was open. But that was 2 days ago and things are changing by the hour.
Old 03-30-20, 10:19 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
yah...gmr will do that to you.
But only on the way down.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 03-30-20, 10:36 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

29-miler up the (in)famous kitchen creek climb out in the laguna mountains about 50 min drive east of san diego. started in pine valley, descended old hwy 80
and hung that left onto kitchen creek road. first two miles into a intermittently stiff headwind/ three quarter headwind. once over the steepest part ending at the
pacific crest trail crossing, the wind wasn't a factor the rest of the day. temps in the mid-60's but the uv rays made it feel like low-70's. there have been some
"improvements" made to the two gates along the way on the climb since i last did it in september 2018. no squeezing around anymore...you def gotta clamber over the
gate and either slide the bike under or lift it over. upper campground-cibbets flats-just before the lower gate closed with recent pandemic but is usually a reliable source
of water if you gotta fill up. didn't bother to check this time if water taps were running but the usfs is pretty consistent in shutting off water entirely at closed campgrounds.
not another single cyclist enroute today and a handful of hikers at the aforementioned pct junction top of first kitchen creek summit. closed section of the climb pavement
still as i remember, just with 5x the amount of coyote scat. last few miles of the climb in the pine trees was nice as always but the road is really beat up currently-especially
in the last mile before the junction with sunrise hwy (s1). speaking of sunrise hwy, currently a grip of work crews doing road repairs from kitchen creek road (and perhaps
farther up) until approx a mile up the hill from hwy 80/ sunrise hwy intersection. maan, sunrise hwy really got ripped up this winter. big chunks missing vs the usual
little cracks. there were three separate pilot trucks in three separate areas guiding travellers up/down the hill. from the looks of it, they've got a least two weeks of work
left so if you go, i'd wait till the end of april. last bit of descent into pine valley still requires your attention. still, despite all the back-end construction biz, i enjoyed the climb
more than i have in the past. nearly perfect weather for the majority of the ride was key.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3236300992

Last edited by diphthong; 03-30-20 at 10:40 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 03-31-20, 09:26 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

making the most of the solo boonie riding...49 miles from lake henshaw (about 11 miles north of julian and at the eastern base of palomar mountain)
north to chihuahua valley road just past the hamlet of sunshine summit (y'all know where that is, right?!) and back. flattish with the occasional small roller.
high overcast all day but super serene. lots of greenery along with flowers starting to show. flowers should be nicer in 7-10 days. little shoulder here and there
but mostly negated by poorly placed rumble strips. that said, i'd give the pavement quality on ca hwys 76 and 79 an 8/10 on the stretch i rode.
decent amount of traffic but busiest from the 4.5-5 mile stretch from the turnoff to ranchita/borrego springs to the hwy 76/79 junction. low wind on what can be a windy area.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3240404322
Old 04-01-20, 12:36 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Originally Posted by Bingod
I rode the Mendenhall Ridge Road from Little T up to Mt Gleason. After attempting and failing this route a few weeks ago I gave it another try.
In my experience of exploring the San Gabriel Mtns area this is the best SoCal gravel/fire road route i have ridden. There are a few snapshots in the link.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/ac...FzT0T8W8U.link
nice pics
Old 04-03-20, 08:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

56 miler tackling some of the san diego backcountry and the great western loop (the fun parts anyway). started in rancho san diego and immediately up
jamul rd to lyons valley rd. lyons valley past the four corners area up to the junction with japatul rd, then onwards to and past the 8 fwy. up viejas grade and
down the four or so dirt miles of viejas grade to alpine, then down tavern rd till the junction with dehesa and dehesa back to the start.
fairly nice day out in the "skyline wilderness." mixed weather report (some wind, small chance of rain, mid-60's so brought skull cap & waterproof windbreaker
but didn't use them. did have to shed the arm warmers and the long sleeved merino wool layer (kept the ss merino layer on tho)
for the big climb up lyons valley to the i-section of skyline/honey springs/lyons valley. put arm warmers and second merino layer back on rest of the ride since
the exposed part of lyons valley from that i-section up to the 8 fwy is fairly exposed and it got cold atop viejas grade with an ominous, large cloud blocking the sunlight.
road quality generally pretty good...only complaint was the first two miles descending east of that four corners i-section of skyline/honey springs/lyons valley. road was
missing some chunks here and there and somewhat invisibly bumpy descending at 30+ mph. ascent side seemed better. viejas grade was the best i'd ever seen it.
a true revelation to descend. super firm. very few whoop-de-doo/erosion channel areas and almost no loose dirt/sand/gravel. anything that popped up was easy to avoid.
rode it on 23's without any regrets. hoping it remains in same fantastic shape after this projected sun-thurs rainstorm hitting socal.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3251744094

Last edited by diphthong; 04-03-20 at 08:12 PM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 04-04-20, 02:00 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Got out b4 7 this morning and had a blast on my sweet riding steel Peloton. Carbon Cyn had more riders than vehicles. Came back thru Diamond Bar, up Old Fullerton Rd, East-West Rds and back over Turnbull and home. Nice cool morning and not as many distracted drivers in 5,000 lbs tanks. Will walk my Terrier to get my full metric ride and walk in.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4738039523
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-04-20, 08:26 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Just got back for a 2-hour "exploring" ride. The beach bike paths near me in Redondo are closed so I went out looking for the best route to get North of LAX and Marina Del Rey. The answer is "Highland". Take Highland North from Hermosa Beach all the way past LAX to the Del Rey Lagoon. From there I was a little surprised to find the bridge over Ballona Creek open. Crossed that and then the bike path goes each on that narrow strip of land. Then it splits and both directions are open. COntinue East up Bologna Ck. All the way to Culver city or that the path north through MDR. The beach path is closed again but you take Main and the Ocean and the San Vincente

What I noticed is that because the beach bike path is closed there are a lot of inexperienced riders out on the streets I say kids riding two across the wrong way on the streets and blowing stop signs. and even kids with training wheels riding in traffic. Likely closing the beach will kill more people then it saves.
Old 04-05-20, 11:05 AM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Got out b4 7 this morning and had a blast on my sweet riding steel Peloton. Carbon Cyn had more riders than vehicles. Came back thru Diamond Bar, up Old Fullerton Rd, East-West Rds and back over Turnbull and home. Nice cool morning and not as many distracted drivers in 5,000 lbs tanks. Will walk my Terrier to get my full metric ride and walk in.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4738039523
Cute dogs? Check.
Schwinn Pelotons? Check.
Diamond Bar?! Check??

We have too much in common to not meet (after the Chinese Cavechicken Disease craziness has subsided of course.) I lived in Diamond Bar back in the 80's when I bought my Schwinn Peloton and started riding GMR, SART and Carbon Canyon.

Before (Bonelli Lake Triathlon, circa 1986):

After (Coolbreeze Double-Metric, circa 2011):
Old 04-05-20, 11:54 AM
CAT7RDR

^^^^^ The SGV really does have a plethora of rollers/canyons right outside your door. Perhaps a Bike Forums group ride after the pandemic restrictions are lifted? Unfortunately, this might go on well into the summer months and beyond. Nice Vintage Schwinn!
Old 04-13-20, 07:31 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

28-miler in borrego springs. montezuma grade attempted...wanted to do up to the big viewpoint about halfway...but got about 2 miles up and hit with a wall of wind. nothankyouverymuch. strategically retreated and toodled about the town and environs. wind really picked up in the afternoon so plenty of 20+ mph stretches with no/minimal pedaling accompanied by 4-7 mph stretches into headwinds. about 73 degrees out with almost zero traffic. flowers not really out yet. only three varieties-one of which is desert sand verbena. possibly a better flower showing in 2 weeks. pavement in the area still mixed but didn’t hit anything truly bad this time.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 04-14-20, 07:36 PM
CAT7RDR

I have not been to the beach for several months so I headed out this morning over Turnbull Cyn thru Whittier and caught the SGRT down to Seal Beach. Exited at PCH then headed South down to Newport Beach. Even with the HB parking lots closed, there were no shortage of surfers, joggers, and all kinds of cruisers on the beach trail.

Stopped to enjoy the views at doggy beach and had a protein cookie. Weather was near perfect 70's without the usual coastal overcast.

Next, headed up the SART to Tustin Ave and did not encounter crazy guy or gangsters on the trail. Wow, still in shock over this! Santa Ana PD Motorcycle Officer was patrolling the trail just south of the wood bridge. Pit-stop at Edna Park to refill water bottles for the rest of the way home. Traversed Tustin-Rose-Birch-St College-Whittier Bl-Cypress Ave-East-West Rds and back over Colima home.

85 miles and 3700 ft of climb on Ridewithgps for this loop. Could not ask for a better day for riding.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 04-16-20, 11:08 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

70+ miles in the fallbrook/de luz/temecula/santa rosa plateau area. it had been three months since my last visit. this one was more successful
and, with all the greenery and water flowing, made it a memorable ride. super-minimal traffic. low-70's temps. some brutal ascending/descending
due to the topography but the roads are still pretty good. sandia crest road closed section (about a half mile) still closed but cyclists can slip around/ride through.
approx 80% of the southbound lane in one spot of the closed section gonzo...not expecting it to be repaired soon. the detour adds approx 1.5 miles to your ride.
the 3 mile (or so) dirt section on de luz road in good shape despite the recent 5 days of rain. only dismounted and walked for about 20 yards with soft sand and
two stream crossings. santa rosa plateau roads good as well. the santa rosa plateau area recovering nicely from a recent fire but trails obviously closed.
los gatos road with the most ridiculous "rollers" ever...extreme ups/downs. if you roll through the area, southbound on the main roads of de luz or sandia crest is easier
than heading northbound on either but southbound still dishes it out with extreme prejudice. de luz road is super confusing so if you decide to ride it, comprehensively
map it out first to spare yourself (and your legs) a ton of grief. very little flat to be found in the de luz area...it's all up or down. bring your triple if ya got it.
this is the best time of year to ride the area if you want challenging roads with oodles of punchy climbs, back of the saddle descending and constant curves.
such an underrated riding area. a total gem-especially in the spring.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3309913366

Last edited by diphthong; 04-17-20 at 02:29 AM.
Old 04-20-20, 06:34 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

57 uneventful overcast and breezy miles taking in mission bay, ocean beach, point loma, d-town, bonita, chula vista, national city and city heights.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 04-23-20, 10:04 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

70+ mile loop from hwy 94/honey springs road junction eastbound along hwy 94 to campo. north from campo along buckman road to old hwy 80/8 fwy corridor.
up to laguna summit, down to pine valley, then up to descanso and back to starting point via japatul valley rd/lyons valley rd/honey springs rd. pavement pretty good
for most of the journey. worst part last two miles on japatul valley rd before junction with lyons valley. as usual, decent amount of traffic along the 94 west of the
hwy 188/tecate turnoff and quiet once past that heading towards potrero/campo. saw a grand total of 4 cars in 6 miles on the lyons valley rd stretch. got pretty
toasty out there but didn't have the usual ridiculous wind. given the choice between a bit too hot/cold and the wind, i'll take the temps. lots of greenery and flowing water
along the roadsides, esp along the 94. last time i did this route (in reverse in october a few years ago), i got 5 flats-on brand new tires-all due to thorns (not goatheads) but
only had two backup tubes. had to flag down another cyclist near sunset who was a life saver with a tube. was so far behind timewise, rode 12 dicey miles in the dark with
only a taillight. this time, i took 5 extra tubes but fortunately didn't flat once.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3343861236
Likes For diphthong:
Old 04-26-20, 10:35 AM
bigalo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just went on an aimless ride from Encino, down Topanga, to Marina Del Ray and back around. Legs are feeling like jello.
Likes For bigalo:
Old 04-26-20, 01:42 PM
CAT7RDR

Did my local canyons ride including Powder, Brea, Tonner, Soquel, Carbon, Cypress and back over Turnbull from the Whittier side. Left at 0515 to beat the heat. Total damage 65 miles and 8K of climb. Think I will be leaving even earlier going forward. Really quiet and majestic to see the sunrise in Tonner Canyon today. Vivoactive watch battery is only good for about 5 hours so 7 miles and about 1K of climb is left off of Garmin.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4842471933
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.