Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

2020 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

2020 Post your Single Speed and Fixed Gear Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-21, 08:02 PM
bro

Bikes: Bridgestone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by geeteeiii
My HVZ Meteor waiting for summer.
Beauty
Likes For bro:
Old 01-16-21, 09:57 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 11 Posts
My beat-to-death Samson. Still fun to ride.

(yes, chain is too tight. Switched to larger cog for Seattle hills and haven't added a half-link)

Old 01-19-21, 06:20 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 147 Posts
Spicy! 🔥

Winter updates on this.

Have posted this before. My go to. Over 1.5k on this in 2020. Hoping to get at least that much on this bike next year. Wheelset wasn't originally for this bike, but it's new and smooth and dead true. Might have to order another wheelset for this, but in black with Alex r450s instead (other rim option on this build). Had a lighter, but inferior hubbed, also Novatec wheelset on here with gravelling slicks before.

This bike is stiff, but the wheel/tires plus the carbon fork smooths it out. Not bad considering the angles. Haven't beat up on the crank as of yet, so feels good but all new BB feel good, 😂. Needs more stickers. Will try to get some more flattering shots next time I go for a longer ride.

- Spicer triple triangle frameset with Cane Creek headset
- Nashbar carbon fork (does anyone have one other straight blades for sale?!)
- Ben's cycles in house wheelset- Skeace brand hollow track crankset (looks like fyxation matador elite or conquer elite RXL

clone)
- Bontrager post and saddle- Profile bullhorns, cane creek levers- Nashbar stem (looking for a Bontrager to matchey matchey)
- Nashbar/Tektro caliper- Panaracer Paselas 28mm

​​​​​

​​​​
Likes For Senrab62:
Old 01-20-21, 07:44 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Glamour shots

Well, maybe not glamour, but did a shakedown again for fit. Fudging cold here in Illinois.

Likes For Senrab62:
Old 01-20-21, 10:34 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by geeteeiii
My HVZ Meteor waiting for summer.
This is dope.
Likes For ethet:
Old 01-21-21, 12:23 AM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
This is dope.

(I felt the need to expose this thing for what it is: Lovely. Its beauty had been hidden in shadows.)

Edit: I failed in capturing the green of the frame properly: @geeteeiii made a fantastic post over in their 'Some Soviet Junk I Have' thread at Classic and Vintage which takes a detailed look at this 1979 HVZ Meteor V68. There is a lot of fun and education to be had over there... So nifty.

Last edited by ethet; 01-22-21 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Additional information and admission of error
Old 01-21-21, 08:12 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
It was a balmy 52F today so I went on the city/county trail toward the river. Nearly half the trail was muddy, some with standing water. I’m developing a taste for riding on that slippery stuff. After the ride, the bike and I were both the color of trail.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 01-23-21, 01:46 AM
geeteeiii

Bikes: HVZ Meteor 1979, HVZ Champion 1962, HVZ SS Moskva80 1981, Dürkopp 1936

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by ethet
(I felt the need to expose this thing for what it is: Lovely. Its beauty had been hidden in shadows.)

Edit: I failed in capturing the green of the frame properly: @geeteeiii made a fantastic post over in their 'Some Soviet Junk I Have' thread at Classic and Vintage which takes a detailed look at this 1979 HVZ Meteor V68. There is a lot of fun and education to be had over there... So nifty.
When i get some better lightning and weather, ill make some better pictures of the current setup. This color really pops in direct sunlight considering how "patina-d" it is.
Thank you for edit!
Likes For geeteeiii:
Old 01-23-21, 12:43 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Here's the track bike with 38mm 650b Pari-Motos

37mm actual in the back, 39mm actual in the front. 48/17 and this chain length ends up being a bit of a magic ratio because the rear wheel can't come any farther forward without the tire fouling the chainstays. Should end up as a 72" gear or so.

And yeah like Senrab62 said, it's cold as hell here so I won't be riding it for a little bit

Likes For abshipp:
Old 01-23-21, 10:26 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Originally Posted by abshipp
Here's the track bike with 38mm 650b Pari-Motos

37mm actual in the back, 39mm actual in the front. 48/17 and this chain length ends up being a bit of a magic ratio because the rear wheel can't come any farther forward without the tire fouling the chainstays. Should end up as a 72" gear or so.

And yeah like Senrab62 said, it's cold as hell here so I won't be riding it for a little bit

Looks great! 👍🏾 Nice that with the 650 you can get some size in there. Have you tried out the new setup?
​​​​​
Old 01-23-21, 10:45 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Well, since the folder was a bust(literally) I picked this up from a different co-worker that works in our machine shop for $30. Hes had it since new. Photo is at 5:45 A.M. when I got to work. My daughter (6) was stoked on the folder project so I had to find another one for us. We are going to do a single speed drop bar build with some sort of "torn tape" paint job. Basically a 4 color fade as a base coat then masking and then another 4 color fade on top.

Second pic is what I'm going for.

Edit: I'll be using a (front to back) violet to dark grey to ink blue fade as the base with a light grey to black as the second coat.

Second edit: the only things I'm keeping are the frame and wheelset. Everything else will be updated for a 26er drop bar gravel build.

Last edited by BoozyMcliverRot; 01-23-21 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-24-21, 10:34 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 3,636 Times in 1,242 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
Looks great! 👍🏾 Nice that with the 650 you can get some size in there. Have you tried out the new setup?
​​​​​
Thanks!

I've ridden around my neighborhood briefly but haven't gone on an extended ride yet. Yesterday's high was somewhere around 15° and it snowed last night, so it might be a while.

​​​​​​​Initial impressions are good though, 38mm tires are a nice balance between still feeling zippy and eating up small road vibrations.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 01-25-21, 11:19 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Progress

Old 01-26-21, 06:28 AM
1incpa

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
My Fixie

A friend gave me the frame, another friend gave me the stem, seat post and saddle, I had everything else.
Old 01-26-21, 08:15 AM
Nixhex

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Here's my specialized allez cr-mo I converted to SS while waiting on parts for a 1x11 conversion. Unfortunately I only got to ride it like this 2x because I broke the chainring/crank....

Likes For Nixhex:
Old 01-26-21, 02:34 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

Bruh!

Originally Posted by Nixhex
Here's my specialized allez cr-mo I converted to SS while waiting on parts for a 1x11 conversion. Unfortunately I only got to ride it like this 2x because I broke the chainring/crank....

You are strong! How the eff did that happen? I've not seen a crank failure like that before.
Old 01-26-21, 02:47 PM
Nixhex

Originally Posted by Senrab62
You are strong! How the eff did that happen? I've not seen a crank failure like that before.
I was waiting at a stop sign, and then when it was my turn to go, I gave it the beans and pop. Looked down and the chainring was all folded over. Unfortunately it took one of the mounting tabs on the cranks with it, so the whole setup is junk.... Which really sucks, bc I was in love with that setup, and was seriously considering just keeping it as a SS.
Likes For Nixhex:
Old 01-26-21, 04:17 PM
Senrab62 
It's the little things

No bueno

I was waiting at a stop sign, and then when it was my turn to go, I gave it the beans and pop. Looked down and the chainring was all folded over. Unfortunately it took one of the mounting tabs on the cranks with it, so the whole setup is junk.... Which really sucks, bc I was in love with that setup, and was seriously considering just keeping it as a SS.
Not fun. Did LOL@ "gave it the beans". That **** cracks me up for some reason.

What are your plans now?
Old 01-26-21, 04:25 PM
Nixhex

I bought a new crankset, and went ahead with my plan to put on a sram rival 1x11 setup. Which is nice and I like it, but I still have a powerful lust for another SS. This could be total horse****, but I think I'm quite a bit faster on a SS. I've had a bunch of people tell me that's prob not correct, or my ride logs aren't accounting for wind, or how I'm feeling, etc etc. which is true. But I've got the average speeds definitely lean that way. I think it's something mental about just not having the think about gearing, or how I "feel", and somehow that frees up a little bit of my brain to push harder and deal with a little more discomfort. But who knows.

At some point I'm going to build an "Uber-SS" with a ridiculous gear like a 56:16, but that'll have to wait a bit.
Old 03-01-21, 08:59 AM
RobertUI 
Monkey Boy

Bikes: '22 Surly Straggler, '15 Breezer Downtown EX, '19 Motobecane Record (fixie)

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
I looked it up on the BI site and it claims 32c. From your experience do you think it would fit a 40c? I only ask because I don't know if it's 32c with or without fenders.

Edit: I used the Tektro 559s on my Trek Soho S gravel conversion and they work amazingly for a road caliper.

​​​
Sorry for the delayed response here: I don't think the frame (or fork for that matter) will fit a 40c, I've got some 38's at home that I can test against the fork at least, I'll also pull out my calipers to give you a better idea. This is a fun little bike!!!
Old 03-24-21, 08:53 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2671 Post(s)
Liked 1,150 Times in 872 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmpierce
Got my own finally...

Old 03-24-21, 01:09 PM
Mikefule

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 78 Posts
This could be total horse****, but I think I'm quite a bit faster on a SS. I've had a bunch of people tell me that's prob not correct, or my ride logs aren't accounting for wind, or how I'm feeling, etc etc. which is true. But I've got the average speeds definitely lean that way. I think it's something mental about just not having the think about gearing, or how I "feel", and somehow that frees up a little bit of my brain to push harder and deal with a little more discomfort. But who knows. .
I don't think it's horse****. I've just had a few days off work and did a variety of rides on my fixed road bike, on and off road, up and down hills, sometimes spinning as fast as my legs would go, sometimes standing on the pedals and climbing until I stalled, and sometimes slithering along muddy rutted byways. I did over 200 miles and my tracking app showed my average speed for each ride, and for each section, and my maximum speed.

I then did a 28 mile ride on my 2 x 10 gravel bike, riding fairly hard on a similar range of surfaces.

At the end, I compared the scores and my MAX speed was lower than on the fixed, and my AVERAGE speed was pretty much identical. This is not completely scientific because the gravel bike is heavier and less aerodynamic, but in theory, with a tall top gear I should be able to go faster downhill and with a range of low gears, I should be more efficient uphill, but in fact the fixed appeared to win on all metrics except for winching myself up one very steep hill.
Old 04-15-21, 08:47 AM
berkleydriskill

Bikes: 1960s Roberts Cycles Track Bike, 2006 EAI bareknuckle, 2020 6ku urban track, random others built and sold between

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 12 Posts
My most recent project that I just finished over the weekend. Hope yall like it

Old 05-09-22, 06:32 PM
KeepPedaling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
Forgot to ever update my bikes. I simply forgot I even had an account for a while hahaha. Anywas here's my last thread

https://www.bikeforums.net/21402892-post127.html

And here's and update and some builds I've done/working on. Hope you enjoy!

My Technium has been finished pretty much right after I posted last and is probably my favorite fun bike. I hand polished all the exposed aluminum bits. Was time consuming but fun process!

Likes For KeepPedaling:
Old 05-09-22, 06:40 PM
KeepPedaling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
My 980c I just recently finished. I pretty much had it for 3 years and finally decided to finish within about 2 week time span which started around last summer. Was interesting/fun figuring out the right chain/cog combination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.