Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Changing chainring to a “non-traditional” gearing 50/34 —> 50/42

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Changing chainring to a “non-traditional” gearing 50/34 —> 50/42

Old 09-10-21, 02:07 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The downside of the tighter cassette is that you have to make more rear shifts when changing chainrings. With my 13-26 cassette which has the same gaps as a 12 -25 cassette I have to make 3 rear shifts when changing chainrings. With the 12-29 on my other bike, I only make 2. Your 11-30 would be similar
That’s really less of a “downside” than NOT having 3 gear options in that range would be.

3 shifts is 1 throw of the downshift lever on shimano or Campag shifters (if going to the big ring) or 3 quick clicks of the thumb/upshift lever (if going small ring) and if you’re at a point of front-shifting, you’re rarely going to be making those full 3 rear shifts; most big ring shifts happen as you’re a) reaching the part of the climb where it starts to get really steep and you go to the small ring or b) going over the top of the climb starting the descent.

You make 3 shifts at the rear to stay in the same gear as before the front shift. But almost by definition, you’ll only front-shift at a point where you’re making a big shift in gear anyway. Even with a 12-25 cassette.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 09-10-21, 03:55 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
The 12-25 - 11 spd has the best spaced gearing for most riders riding at moderate/medium cadences of 75+ to 95 rpm.... speeds of 15 to 25 mph... rear cogs of 14 - 19 single step.
Agreed. I went from an 11-32 cassette (riding almost exclusively in the big 50T ring) to a Frankenstein 12-28 cassette (with its attendant problematic downshift between the two donor cassettes) to a 12-25 cassette (using both 50T and 34T chain rings).

Originally Posted by Leinster
You make 3 shifts at the rear to stay in the same gear as before the front shift. But almost by definition, you’ll only front-shift at a point where you’re making a big shift in gear anyway. Even with a 12-25 cassette.
With a 12-25 cassette, you need to shift more than 3 rear cogs after shifting between the front 50/34 chain rings to mathematically minimize disruption to cadence. Let's calculate each gear ratio:

(a) 50:19 = 2.63, next lower gear combination on 34T chain ring is 34:14 = 2.43, from 19T to 14T is 5 upshifts (given that 34:13 = 2.62, which is almost the same rather than the next lower gear combo);
(b) 50:21 = 2.38, next lower gear combination on 34T chain ring is 34:15 = 2.27, from 21T to 15T is 5 upshifts;
(c) 50:23 = 2.17, next lower gear combination on 34T chain ring is 34:17 = 2.00, from 23T to 17T is 4 upshifts (given that 34:16 = 2.13, which is almost the same rather than the next lower gear combo);
(d) 50:25 = 2.00, next lower gear combination on 34T chain ring is 34:18 = 1.89, from 25T to 18T is 4 upshifts.

But in practice, because one also loses momentum shifting between the chain rings, shifting 3 rear cogs feels about right.

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 09-10-21 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-10-21, 04:21 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
With a 12-25 cassette, you need to shift more than 3 rear cogs after shifting between the front 50/34 chain rings to mathematically minimize disruption to cadence.
But my point is that if you’re front-shifting, you’re not trying to minimize disruption to cadence; you front shift when you need to make a significant change to your cadence and/or when meeting a significant change in terrain that will require a change in cadence. You front-shift when you’re in 50-23 and you can see the road getting steeper. You front-shift when you’re going over the top of a climb and starting a descent. You front-shift as you exit the gravel sector onto the smooth asphalt.

Most other gear shifts can be dealt with in the rear, unless you’re already all-the-way cross-chained.
Likes For Leinster:
Old 09-10-21, 04:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

But my point is that if you’re front-shifting, you’re not trying to minimize disruption to cadence; you front shift when you need to make a significant change to your cadence and/or when meeting a significant change in terrain that will require a change in cadence. You front-shift when you’re in 50-23 and you can see the road getting steeper. You front-shift when you’re going over the top of a climb and starting a descent. You front-shift as you exit the gravel sector onto the smooth asphalt.
Exactly. This is what I was trying to illustrate by numbers above, which is, when one front shifts between the chain rings, one is not even aiming for the next closest gear combo, but the one after that, hence about 3 rear shifts of the cassette. I acknowledged that, in practice, the loss of momentum from a front shift makes a disruption to cadence unavoidable. (This is perhaps the greatest issue the OP faces going from a 3x to a 2x front setup.) Which thus also means that the point of the front shift is not to "stay in the same gear" as stated in your prior post (#51).
Old 09-10-21, 06:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
But my point is that if you’re front-shifting, you’re not trying to minimize disruption to cadence; you front shift when you need to make a significant change to your cadence and/or when meeting a significant change in terrain that will require a change in cadence. etc .
Hmmm ... maybe I am doing it wrong.

I often shift down in front and way up in back at the base of a long climb because it is easier Not to shift up front under heavy load, even with modern equipment. I can look up the road (assuming it is straight enough) or if I know the route, I can prepare for the upcoming terrain. I Rarely want big changes in cadence because I have a pretty limited range of optimal output, and I don't want to go a lot slower, and faster is only good at certain points on climbs.

There are a couple places I can think of where I come downhill into a turn uphill where I need to drop from 50-midrange of 34 midrange (or just work down the cassette if I am not too tired) but as a rule I try to plan so I don't have to make big gearing jumps unless the terrain also makes big jumps ... short, steep rollers for instance. And to me the whole point of having all those ratios is that I can always find a ratio which keeps me in my peak output range---peak balance of power and revs so that my lungs and heart and legs can all keep contributing. I might spin a little faster on some hills because I feel like quicker strokes are more efficient (less power momentum lost between power pulses) but i never want to go from say, 85 revs to 65 revs on a climb. Or anywhere else, really,.
Old 09-10-21, 07:27 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Hmmm ... maybe I am doing it wrong.

I often shift down in front and way up in back at the base of a long climb because it is easier Not to shift up front under heavy load, even with modern equipment. I can look up the road (assuming it is straight enough) or if I know the route, I can prepare for the upcoming terrain. I Rarely want big changes in cadence because I have a pretty limited range of optimal output, and I don't want to go a lot slower, and faster is only good at certain points on climbs.

There are a couple places I can think of where I come downhill into a turn uphill where I need to drop from 50-midrange of 34 midrange (or just work down the cassette if I am not too tired) but as a rule I try to plan so I don't have to make big gearing jumps unless the terrain also makes big jumps ... short, steep rollers for instance. And to me the whole point of having all those ratios is that I can always find a ratio which keeps me in my peak output range---peak balance of power and revs so that my lungs and heart and legs can all keep contributing. I might spin a little faster on some hills because I feel like quicker strokes are more efficient (less power momentum lost between power pulses) but i never want to go from say, 85 revs to 65 revs on a climb. Or anywhere else, really,.
No, you are doing it right. Shifting up front in anticipation of a change in terrain is what I do too. I think we are all trying to describe more or less the same thing, but imperfectly, so that the collective description is being refined with each subsequent post.
Likes For SoSmellyAir:
Old 09-11-21, 01:47 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I share your dislike for 50 -34. I started my (derailleur bike) life on a 52-35 X 14-28, Way, wa better than enything I ever knew before but when I bought a triple with 52-42-30 (which I quicly changed to a 28), it was "Wow! This is it. I raced that bike, simply not using hte inner ring. Bought a real race bike. 1977. It was geared the usual 42-53 and I acquired 43,44,53 and 54, stitching them depending on the race. I was in my mid-20s, racing strong and loved to climb out of the saddle in big gears. I also loved the 52-42 shift with close ratios in back.

In the 40 years since, I've aged. The triple is a given on all my bikes. All my gearing has come down. But the concept I love hasn't. My best bike is set up 50-38-24; very close to a simply scaled down 53-42-28.

Years ago I had a race bike (but decades after my last race), I geared it 53-39, the gearing that existed but was not at all common when I was racing. Hated it. The 39 was too low to be a good flat ground gear and the shift up and down too big. Went back to the 52-42-28 and all was right again.
I also hate 50-34 and don't really even like 53-39 but that's because my road bike has a 6-speed freewheel and the jumps between cogs are too big to make "single ring" riding convenient. But I think those ring combinations make sense with 10- or 11-speed cassettes that start with an 11t. I've put 50-34 on the bike (using the 110 BCD crank from my old MTB) but it was for a special purpose (Mt Evans Hill Climb). I've also used 53-39 for PBP. But for my home terrain, I run 53-42 and a 13-26 freewheel which gives excellent overlap and a lot of gears between 4.5m and 6.5m and gives me the gear range I need. I keep the 53 big ring because the smallest cog I can put on that freewheel is a 13t.
Old 09-20-21, 03:32 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
My three road bikes all have different gearing although two are very close. The Fuji has a 52/36 up front with a 11-28 cassette in the rear. My Specialized came stock with a 52/36 and an 11-30. After two years I replaced the rear cassette and put on an 11-32. This is an even better set up on hills. My LeMond is a triple with 52/42/30. The original cassette was a 12-25 9spd. Now it has a 12-28. If I ever were to use the 30-28 (as low as it goes) I'm probably on some hill I shouldn't be on in the first place!