Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Centaur VS SRAM Force 22

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-24-21, 11:44 AM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts

I just acquired a vintage frameset (1985 Mercian) and I am trying to decide on components.
The options are Campy Centaur or SRAM Force.
In 2015 I built up my current bike which is a Cannondale EVO using Campy Chorus 11 speed.
I never could get the shifting to work properly. I tried different chains and cassettes and took it to a pro mechanic but still no luck.
I have read that Campy shifting can be sensitive to cable friction but i have no reason to believe that here was excessive cable friction.
In the end I changed to SRAM Force and it worked perfectly. I am not saying Campy is inherently flawed, just that it did not work in my case at that instant of time.
So I am willing to give it another chance, mostly because it will cost $150 less than SRAM Force and I get silver components.
Being that it is a vintage bike I think silver Campy components would be more appropriate and I will be using a Campy crankset although it is carbon and black.
I plan on building wheels using H Plus SON silver polished rims and also would like use silver Campy skeleton brakes.
The Centaur components weight 142g more than SRAM but I can live with that.
My brain is telling me to go with SRAM since I know I like how it works and I would have consistency between bikes, but my gut is saying Campy for a classic look and my wallet would also appreciate it.
Thanks for any advise.
Old 09-24-21, 01:47 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
I think Shimano 7000/105 is still available (theoretically) in silver. Might not look as cool as the Campy but you wouldn't have issues.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-24-21, 01:53 PM
TX_master

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I think Shimano 7000/105 is still available (theoretically) in silver. Might not look as cool as the Campy but you wouldn't have issues.
I just pieced together a sliver 105/7000 group (from about 4 different sources) for a new bike build I'm doing. Excited about it!
Regarding the OP I've had Campy on multiple bikes and it always worked well for me so maybe your experience was just an outlier. Maybe to relieve stress just go with what you've used in the past that worked well.
Likes For TX_master:
Old 09-24-21, 01:57 PM
jnbrown

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I did consider that as well, I just am not sure I like the look.

Thanks
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 09-24-21, 02:40 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I love these threads...OP askes 'Campy or SRAM?'...first 2 replies are Shimano.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-24-21, 03:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Yep. Around here you never know if someone has overlooked the obvious.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-24-21, 04:25 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
SRAM Force. In choosing the groupset for my upcoming Hampsten Strada Bianca, I initially thought Centaur, because I could get it in silver. But I wanted something in the Chorus/Ultegra/Force upper echelon groupset realm. Then I got over the silver thing, and thought I'd go with Ultegra. But I remembered how much I disliked the Shimano shifting method. Then I got to talking more about it with Steve (Hampsten) and others, and they all said, one way or another "Go with SRAM Force, you'll be glad you did."

Part of the decision also rested on the fact that I have never used SRAM products, and wanted to give them a shot. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 09-24-21, 04:38 PM
jnbrown

Originally Posted by johnnyace
SRAM Force. In choosing the groupset for my upcoming Hampsten Strada Bianca, I initially thought Centaur, because I could get it in silver. But I wanted something in the Chorus/Ultegra/Force upper echelon groupset realm. Then I got over the silver thing, and thought I'd go with Ultegra. But I remembered how much I disliked the Shimano shifting method. Then I got to talking more about it with Steve (Hampsten) and others, and they all said, one way or another "Go with SRAM Force, you'll be glad you did."

Part of the decision also rested on the fact that I have never used SRAM products, and wanted to give them a shot. I'm looking forward to it.
I think you are going to like Force. It has a very positive feel and it works great. Also pretty light compared to competitors.
It doesn't take long getting used to double tap shifting and I like having a single shift paddle.
The one thing I still have trouble with is shifting the front from the small to large chainring, you have to give it a nudge at the end of the throw for it to stay there and it takes a subtle touch to get it right.
Also sometimes the shifting is a bit rough when shifting under load especially on the larger cogs in the back, but I think that is true for other systems as well.
Now I have to wonder if I can get over the silver thing too.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 09-24-21, 05:25 PM
johnnyace 
Le savonnier

Bikes: I can count 'em on one hand

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 269 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
Now I have to wonder if I can get over the silver thing too.
I understand the aesthetic thing with silver components, I really do. I have traditionally been a C&V guy. But I have other bikes for that. And besides, I don't spend much time staring longingly at my bikes, particularly while riding them. It's about performance for me. I have cleared out all but two of my C&V bikes, partly to help finance the Hampsten, partly because of space, and partly because I'm just plain tired of dealing with all of them, when I only really ride two of them. I wanted to go thoroughly modern (albeit still steel and rim brakes; not quite ready to make the carbon/disk jump!).

Also thought this:
Campagnolo = old-school, tradition
Shimano = the 800 lb. gorilla
SRAM = the upstart underdog

I'm a sucker for the underdog (however true that may or may not be in SRAM's case).
Old 09-24-21, 05:36 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
Also thought this:
Campagnolo = old-school, tradition
Shimano = the 800 lb. gorilla
SRAM = the upstart underdog

I'm a sucker for the underdog (however true that may or may not be in SRAM's case).
Actually, as you said Shimano is still the 800 pound gorilla but SRAM isn't the underdog anymore, Campy is. AFAIK, SRAM outsells Campy by a substantial margin.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-24-21, 07:04 PM
jnbrown

One thing I have noticed in looking for SRAM shifters there is only one listing on Ebay for used ones.
I think that tells us people are generally satisfied with them.
If I really wanted this bike to be vintage I could put old Nuovo Record on it but that is not what I want.
I thought I could straddle classic and modern but I am thinking I should let that go.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 09-24-21, 07:43 PM
cxwrench

If you go with SRAM I'm pretty sure you'll like it. It's pretty easy to set up and is also tolerant of being slightly out of 'perfect' adjustment. It rarely fatigues/breaks cables in the shifters like both Shimano and Campy do. Your wheel choices aren't governed by free hub design. It's good stuff.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-25-21, 07:10 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
For sure my preference is Campagnolo. 3 years ago I installed, for the first time on my own bike, indexed shifting. Since 1982 I have worked as a mechanic, sales person and manager in bike shops and have experienced every level and generation of indexed shifting and developed some knowledge and preferences for equipment. My choice was Campy 11 speed at the Record/Chorus level.
Just moved the group set from my custom frame to a vintage frame and it works perfectly on the first try, just like it did when I set it up on the custom frame. I do not find it finicky or picky about cable drag, but I do know that it does perform with more consistency using Campy or Shimano brand housing.

I have set up thousands of bikes with every drive train option from the big 3 (soon to be big 4 with Microshift coming on strong), and have had to teach users how to shift. SRAM is the most confusing, Shimano is frustrating for newbs when they shift the big lever, and Campy is the easiest to teach as the lever functions are independent of any other function.

Now, with all that said, I am not a fan of SRAM. For newbies it is difficult to learn to use, and for experienced riders it simply is not intuitive. I also find it finicky and sensitive to dirty cables. FWIW, the Apex shifters are cheaply engineered and made. Without question Shimano is the most forgiving when cables are dirty. Campagnolo is my personal got to, and the first thing I recommend when someone wants high end and high performance without budget constraints.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 09-25-21, 09:19 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Now, with all that said, I am not a fan of SRAM. For newbies it is difficult to learn to use, and for experienced riders it simply is not intuitive. I also find it finicky and sensitive to dirty cables. FWIW, the Apex shifters are cheaply engineered and made. Without question Shimano is the most forgiving when cables are dirty. Campagnolo is my personal got to, and the first thing I recommend when someone wants high end and high performance without budget constraints.
And there ya go. Exactly the opposite of my experience. Since we're talking experience I worked for the first pro road team in the US to use SRAM road back in '06. The one mtb team I worked for used SRAM and the women's team I worked for used it and still does. I probably have as much or more time working with SRAM as anyone in the country excepting longtime SRAM employees.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-25-21, 10:25 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1540 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 954 Posts
Use the Force Luke. The SRAM group set has the YAW front derailleur so you don’t have to trim. Just for that reason alone the SRAM wins.
But if I were you I would choose neither and go with your original inclination and find an all silver group set.
Likes For icemilkcoffee:
Old 09-25-21, 03:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Cxwrench, I applaud your willingness to work for a pro team. Not many folks want that life, good on you! No doubt your experience is superior to mine which has led you to the SRAM preference. To each his own, and the OP asked for opinions, which is what has been given by all.
Old 09-25-21, 06:38 PM
jnbrown

Thanks for all the responses.
It really helped to make a decision which is to go with Force 22.
I am still going to use silver where I can which would be wheels, headset, brakes, bars. seatpost.
I think will still have a bit of a classic look to it.
Old 09-26-21, 04:31 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
I like both SRAM and campy well enough that for me it would come down to which I liked better on the bars I planed to use.
Old 09-26-21, 07:13 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
Campy is 11 speed only at the lowest level and SRAM's support of 11 speed mechanical is questionable. If not used on lower priced OEM bikes, those groupsets won't be around much longer. I built bikes with every speed of Campy from 8 to12. I switched from Campy chorus 12 to SRAM Force AXS last July. On a rim brake bike, the crank, brakes and wheels were used with a new freehub body.

I'd look at SRAM Rival AXS. It's been noted that when Shimano 12 becomes available, there's a good chance that the cassette will work with Rival and most 11 speed cranks, but Force levers would be needed for rim brakes.