Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Daytime Running Lights - Get Them! Video

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Daytime Running Lights - Get Them! Video

Old 09-11-19, 10:11 AM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
And yesterday as I was nearing the 3/4 way point of a 9% grade on a side street, a young lady backed out directly in front of me from her driveway. Then she suddenly stopped when she saw me so now I could not ride around the front of her and I was certainly not going to ride around the rear of her car either. No big deal, was no danger involved, I just had to wait to restart my climb. Of course the front light on my handlebar was turned off.

It was turned off because I was on the last leg of a 38km ride and had just gotten off the rail trail just one block away. I used to leave my lights on all the time, but I think I have been BF brainwashed into not using them. Going to go back to my old habit and just leave them on.
Old 09-11-19, 12:33 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
And yesterday as I was nearing the 3/4 way point of a 9% grade on a side street, a young lady backed out directly in front of me from her driveway. Then she suddenly stopped when she saw me so now I could not ride around the front of her and I was certainly not going to ride around the rear of her car either. No big deal, was no danger involved, I just had to wait to restart my climb. Of course the front light on my handlebar was turned off.

It was turned off because I was on the last leg of a 38km ride and had just gotten off the rail trail just one block away. I used to leave my lights on all the time, but I think I have been BF brainwashed into not using them. Going to go back to my old habit and just leave them on.
Sooo, let me get this straight, driver backs out into you (uh oh) but suddenly stops (yay) and all this while your handlebar light is MIA, and this is proof positive that you need to cut the estimated life of your battery pack in half by running your headlight day and night. Gotcha. You do you, by all means. I only get my back up if you suggest that I should want to do likewise.
Old 09-11-19, 12:40 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Laws of Discussion Forum Comments

1) One outlier negates all other data points and observations.

​​2) If nothing detrimental has occured for X years while performing act Y, nothing detrimental will ever happen.

Uh oh. A contradictory observation to law # 2. I'm guessing 10 years isn't long enough to be valid. Wait 10 more years.
Why the sarcasm? You happen to be correct. Another ten years it is. Starting ... ... ... ... now!
Old 09-11-19, 03:51 PM
sumgy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
5000 lumens as mentioned by another poster are total overkill; that is comparable to a car headlight on high beam. I certainly wouldn't want to get hit with that from oncoming traffic.
Absolutely agree.
Basically dangerous too.
Old 09-11-19, 07:18 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I am a proponent of enhancing visual conspicuity within reason. It may help catch the attention of a partially engaged driver.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 09-11-19, 10:24 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I'll turn the blinkie on in the rear but I run antique Deltas using 2 D cells up front and that's not going to make any difference at all until dusk. I stock up on heavy duty batteries at the dollar store and you no longer get three, it's two now, similar deals for C and AA/AAA, 33% less than a year ago. On a fixed budget that doesn't make sense and since the rear light is LEDs it does last a very long time.

I have a small fleet of antique bikes so this is a large problem. Alkalines are nice but not affordable.
Old 09-12-19, 05:31 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
It would take a mountain of evidence to convince me that bicycle daytime running lights offer a safety benefit, and so far I haven't seen any. As far as I'm concerned they are just annoying.
That you think the lights annoying is the mountain evidence you asked for. If you are annoyed with my lights, then you see me.

And the US is not Germany, in Germany and most of Europe a significant portion of the populations rides and commutes on bicycles and motorists are much more accustomed to sharing the road and they have better cycling infrastructure. A cyclist on the road there is expected, in the US a cyclist on the road is not expected. The lights may be annoying but if so then they have served their purpose.

And if a blinking light on a bicycle is enough to annoy someone, then someone needs to chill out a little more. There are plenty of things that matter to be annoyed about but bicycle blinkies are not one of them.
Likes For Loose Chain:
Old 09-12-19, 06:08 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I'll turn the blinkie on in the rear but I run antique Deltas using 2 D cells up front and that's not going to make any difference at all until dusk. I stock up on heavy duty batteries at the dollar store and you no longer get three, it's two now, similar deals for C and AA/AAA, 33% less than a year ago. On a fixed budget that doesn't make sense and since the rear light is LEDs it does last a very long time.

I have a small fleet of antique bikes so this is a large problem. Alkalines are nice but not affordable.
There are 3x AA to D cell adapters so you can run nimh rechargeables in D cell devices. Just be sure to get the parallel version that increases the mah, not the voltage. Though it can be a chore to recharge all those batteries. My parents have a 3 D cell LED lantern so I have 9AAs to charge in a 4 slot charger. The other day I saw an adapter that converts 4 D cells to a square lantern battery, so you could do adapters inside an adapter, but having to recharge 12 AAs whew. Most rechargeable D cells you might find are just a single AA inside an adapter, not at all useful (2100 mah vs 8800 mah alkalines) and difficult to find a chargers that can handle them.
Old 09-12-19, 06:32 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I guess we could discuss the merits of running lights until we're blue in the face. I'm not sure if my front and rear lights are going to make a difference, but I hope they do. Regardless (and I've said it before), if for any reason I'm in a serious accident where push comes to shove and I find myself in court, I want to be able to show that I was riding in a safe and prudent manner, was wearing a helmet and had both front and rear lights on. But that's just me.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 09-12-19, 06:41 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
That you think the lights annoying is the mountain evidence you asked for. If you are annoyed with my lights, then you see me.

And the US is not Germany, in Germany and most of Europe a significant portion of the populations rides and commutes on bicycles and motorists are much more accustomed to sharing the road and they have better cycling infrastructure. A cyclist on the road there is expected, in the US a cyclist on the road is not expected. The lights may be annoying but if so then they have served their purpose.

And if a blinking light on a bicycle is enough to annoy someone, then someone needs to chill out a little more. There are plenty of things that matter to be annoyed about but bicycle blinkies are not one of them.
We have different definitions of evidence. There has never been a measured safety benefit for daytime bicycle lights either steady or blinking. That point is irrefutable. While I still find it difficult to believe that some people aren't annoyed by blinking bike lights, it's just my opinion that they are annoying. As you correctly observe, plenty of Americans obviously have no problem annoying other people for little or no safety benefit.
Old 09-12-19, 06:46 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Guy should invest in a tripod, so he doesn't have to lean over so much when making his videos.
Really? That bothered you? Aside from actually making a video I thought his stance further bolstered his passion for safety. He just seemed really into it.

Kudos for the OP!
Old 09-12-19, 06:52 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Since most motor vehicles in traffic now have daytime running lights, having your bike lights on helps drivers see you as part of traffic.
I have always wondered if there would be more motor cycle accidents now that more and more cars have daytime running lights. weren't cycles mandated with daytime running lights for safety? (i don't know, i drive a car.) Seems that now they would be just begin to blend in again like before the mandate.

-scott
Old 09-12-19, 07:12 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
You are right, everyone has different definitions of 'evidence'. Anecdotal evidence is not proof. But I run lights day and night on my bicycles, and I have convinced several of my cycling friends to do the same. Every single one of them has come back to me later and told me words to this effect "Wow! Thanks! Most drivers do seem to give me a wider berth when I'm running lights!"

That is anecdotal, and proves nothing. But it is good enough for me, because it is my personal experience.

We have different definitions of evidence. There has never been a measured safety benefit for daytime bicycle lights either steady or blinking. That point is irrefutable. While I still find it difficult to believe that some people aren't annoyed by blinking bike lights, it's just my opinion that they are annoying. As you correctly observe, plenty of Americans obviously have no problem annoying other people for little or no safety benefit.
Old 09-12-19, 08:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I recommend getting a good dynamo set up so you can run lights all the time and they are charged by the front wheel moving. You can get plenty of bright stuff out there. I recommend the B+M IQ-X or Supernova E3 pro 2 or Triple 2 (if you are not on German Roads as it is very bright and apparently not road legal there) at the front and for the rear the B+M Toplight Line Plus Brake or Supernova E3 Taillight. I have also heard great things about the Sinewave Cycles Beacon and might end up with one for my new gravel slayer build. I will say if you use a Supernova Taillight you do need to use a Supernova front light as the stand light is located at the front. You can also get charging for phone/electronics as well through The Plug V or the Sinewave Reactor as well as other devices including their Beacon front light.

If you are running lights at any time please for the love of Eddy DO NOT HAVE A FLASHING FRONT LIGHT! Seriously folks get a bright solid light and use that. If you need to flash on the back go for it (red only though) but solid lights are easier to see and less likely to cause issues. For me and many other cyclists I chat with tend to have issues with flashing front lights as it makes them less visible when you have to turn away or close your eyes as they pass. The only other vehicles that flash are emergency vehicles that are traveling at high speeds and will generally be far past everyone rather quickly and those are still quite hard to keep riding when they are passing and still be able to see well.
Old 09-12-19, 08:26 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Motorcyclists say they've had to up their game.

See, when motorbikes were the only vehicles with lights on in the day, they were more visible. Now that cars also have lights on in the day, motorcycles don't stick out so much. So they've resorted to yellow or purple filters.

If you cycle on the roads and think you don't need lights in the daytime, you're fodder for the Darwin awards.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-12-19, 08:30 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Motorcyclists say they've had to up their game.

See, when motorbikes were the only vehicles with lights on in the day, they were more visible. Now that cars also have lights on in the day, motorcycles don't stick out so much. So they've resorted to yellow or purple filters.

If you cycle on the roads and think you don't need lights in the daytime, you're fodder for the Darwin awards.
Haven't seen purple but i think i have seen yellow. i'll need to pay more attention, especially this weekend.it is motor cycle weekend here in Reno.
Old 09-12-19, 08:49 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Originally Posted by spelger
Haven't seen purple but i think i have seen yellow. i'll need to pay more attention, especially this weekend.it is motor cycle weekend here in Reno.
I'm pretty sure purple are illegal, but they seem to be getting away with it. Yellow are legal, it used to be requirement in France.

I should add i'm in the UK, i realise a lot of users here are in America.
Old 09-12-19, 09:42 PM
robnol
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hi everyone. I'm a big advocate of safety so I figured I drop this post here. If you're a commuter, road cyclist, touring etc. I think everyone should invest in a set of daytime running lights. Here in the Northeast Fall is approaching and as we near the ending of daylight savings time it will be getting darker earlier. I already notice the transition. These lights are just great for city riding and congested areas to poke awareness around your riding. Be safe or be sorry. Having them on in the past few weeks I felt safer than not having them on at all. So I'm recommending these. Check out the video I made in more detail below. If you're on Youtube share it with a friend and Subscribe if you dig the video and want to see more.

See and be seen: Cycling Safety Tips
a ridiculous product....wear some high vis clothing and u will be seen . 100 lumens is a whole lot of nothing
Old 09-13-19, 02:40 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by gecho
There are 3x AA to D cell adapters so you can run nimh rechargeables in D cell devices. Just be sure to get the parallel version that increases the mah, not the voltage. Though it can be a chore to recharge all those batteries. My parents have a 3 D cell LED lantern so I have 9AAs to charge in a 4 slot charger. The other day I saw an adapter that converts 4 D cells to a square lantern battery, so you could do adapters inside an adapter, but having to recharge 12 AAs whew. Most rechargeable D cells you might find are just a single AA inside an adapter, not at all useful (2100 mah vs 8800 mah alkalines) and difficult to find a chargers that can handle them.
NiMH have one huge drawback...they go to mush in cold weather. My bikes are all chained outside. Lost a really cool bullet light years ago in the winter to learn that. On the other hand I had 3 Sunbeam or Panasonic dollar store AAA's last six months once in a Bell 3 LED taillight, including during Snowmageddon in early 2017.

So no, there isn't any real savings there. What I've got is fine. And the NiMHs are for my digital camera.
Old 09-14-19, 10:23 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 3,536 Times in 1,779 Posts
There has never been a measured safety benefit for daytime bicycle lights either steady or blinking. That point is irrefutable.
There was one 2009 study in Australia that surveyed drivers' ratings of cyclist visibility in daytime, on a scale of 1 (not visible) to 5 (very visible). The ratings were:

Fluorescent vest: 4.06
Reflective vest: 3.54
White clothing: 3.22
Flashing lights on wrists/ankles: 2.92
Reflective strips on arms/legs: 2.87
Black clothing: 2.26
Bicycle lights (steady): 2.17

So steady bicycle lights were perceived by drivers as essentially useless in daytime (even worse than black clothing), with flashing lights better.

Personally, I'm wearing light clothing and using flashing front and rear lights during daylight. If it annoys the occasional person, so be it. My safety trumps their comfort.

EDIT: Another 2013 controlled experiment in Denmark found that daytime running lights produced a 19% decrease rate in accidents, indicating that "permanent bicycle running light significantly improves traffic safety for cyclists."

Last edited by terrymorse; 09-14-19 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added Denmark study
Likes For terrymorse:
Old 09-14-19, 10:42 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Common sense tells you a flashing light is gonna make you more visible.

Speculation tells you what effect that improved visibility will have.

I'll speculate that if you're already gonna dedicate several minutes getting all geared up for a ride on a road, unplugging two USB plugs and clipping them on your bike is of minor additional hardship.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-14-19, 10:50 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
NiMH have one huge drawback...they go to mush in cold weather. My bikes are all chained outside. Lost a really cool bullet light years ago in the winter to learn that. On the other hand I had 3 Sunbeam or Panasonic dollar store AAA's last six months once in a Bell 3 LED taillight, including during Snowmageddon in early 2017.

So no, there isn't any real savings there. What I've got is fine. And the NiMHs are for my digital camera.
When I buy a battery powered light for long distance night-time riding I buy one with an External Battery Pack and a long cable. Then, if it gets really cold I can simply put the battery under my jacket where the battery stays nice and warm.

Cheers
Old 09-14-19, 10:53 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Common sense tells you a flashing light is gonna make you more visible.

Speculation tells you what effect that improved visibility will have.

I'll speculate that if you're already gonna dedicate several minutes getting all geared up for a ride on a road, unplugging two USB plugs and clipping them on your bike is of minor additional hardship.
The BIG problem with any flashing light in daytime or nighttime use is that drivers can't discern how far away you are from them. That's why i use a steady-on taillight as well as a flashing one at night. In the daytime I don't need or see the need for a DRL. Unless it's heavily overcast or raining.

Also, there's a HUGE difference between a fast-flashing light and a strobe or extremely rapid flashing light. the strobe-like lights are extremely annoying to those approaching.

Cheers
Old 09-14-19, 10:58 AM
Miele Man

Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hi everyone. I'm a big advocate of safety so I figured I drop this post here. If you're a commuter, road cyclist, touring etc. I think everyone should invest in a set of daytime running lights. Here in the Northeast Fall is approaching and as we near the ending of daylight savings time it will be getting darker earlier. I already notice the transition. These lights are just great for city riding and congested areas to poke awareness around your riding. Be safe or be sorry. Having them on in the past few weeks I felt safer than not having them on at all. So I'm recommending these. Check out the video I made in more detail below. If you're on Youtube share it with a friend and Subscribe if you dig the video and want to see more.

See and be seen: Cycling Safety Tips
The strobe function on those lights is illegal in a lot of areas. Can you imagine the effect on others if there were a lot of bicyclists using those? There'd be a lot of very angry people.

As far as safety goes in your video, GET THE HECK OUT OF THE DOOR ZONE! Riding in that door zone hides you from other users of the road and an opening door striking you will knock you into the traffic lane.

Cheers
Old 09-14-19, 11:17 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
I attached a HOOOT ( https://www.amazon.com/HOOOT-Recharg.../dp/B07L7GQL44 ) red light to this mirror ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Smar...irror/17619567 ) and transfer between bikes giving a left edge identification along with a center identification frame mounted red light under seat and my helmet mounted red light. Front is a HOOOT clear blinking with additional NightRider 650 lumen and 900 lumen for night riding.

Also have a 5,000 lumen 4 way attached to my night riding helmet and flashing blue Velcro strap light on left leg below knee.
5000 is an absurd amount. There is simply no justifiable reason to have a light that strong on your helmet moving vertically and laterally as you look around.

Crank it down 5x perhaps.
Or anger people who are subjected to such a bright light directly in their vision.
Your call, obviously.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.