Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Bear canisters

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Bear canisters

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-21, 04:06 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
I figure that since I own a Garcia and a BV450, if I were to buy an Ursak it would probably be only for backpacking and bike touting where 5 day capacity is enough for me these days. I am willing to carry about that much and on tours I don't need to carry that much. So the 10 liter Ursak is probably fine for my usage. On canoe trips I can take either or both canisters and any Ursak I might buy. All together that would be quite a bit of capacity.

BTW, the reason I have two is because I originally bought the Garcia and later decided it was preferable to have a smaller canister. It has been handy to let friends and family use one on group trips.
Old 05-09-21, 01:34 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I've backpacked with a Garcia for years. My backyard consists of Yosemite National Park, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, National Monuments, and Sierra/Sequoia National Forests, plus a sprinkling of Wildernesses. and just over those hills, Inyo/Toiyabe/etc in California. I went with a BV450 a few years ago. There's a trick to opening it easily, and one time the lid actually got stuck in the closed position by items inside. Last year I picked up an XL Ursack. Ideal trees are difficult to find for hangs, and I'm not good at them anyway. I'm looking forward to using my new Ursack (in the areas where a canister is not mandatory) when traveling by bike but since the pandemic started, trips have been cut short.

My first bikepacking trip up into a National Forest my buddy and i took my Garcia (before i bought the BV450). It wasn't required, but it's a good idea. His Surly DT with front and rear racks made it easy to strap the Garcia to the front. I just wish I had painted a big smile on the bottom of the canister, which faced forward while riding.

For those considering any of these options, REI has a 20% off sale at various times of the year. Plus as a member with a healthy purchasing history, you earn annual dividends. And if you go with an REI mastercard, you earn reward points. My XL Ursack was basically free.

erc/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 05-09-21 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-09-21, 04:23 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by ericzamora
For those considering any of these options, REI has a 20% off sale at various times of the year. Plus as a member with a healthy purchasing history, you earn annual dividends. And if you go with an REI mastercard, you earn reward points. My XL Ursack was basically free.
I have considered using part of my REI dividend to get one. Maybe I will.
Likes For staehpj1: