Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Real Weirdos on Craigslist

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 08-13-21, 11:53 AM
RiceAWay

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 81 Posts

In the last two weeks I've had people answer almost every one of my Craigslist adds saying that they wanted to come and get one of my components or see the bikes and not one has shown up. I have never done this on any add of this sort and cannot figure out what would cause people to answer and add with supposed interest and never show up. Would you answer and add and take someone's time waiting for you never to show up?
Old 08-13-21, 11:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
In the last two weeks I've had people answer almost every one of my Craigslist adds saying that they wanted to come and get one of my components or see the bikes and not one has shown up. I have never done this on any add of this sort and cannot figure out what would cause people to answer and add with supposed interest and never show up. Would you answer and add and take someone's time waiting for you never to show up?
No.
Old 08-13-21, 12:06 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,488 Times in 3,337 Posts
That's OK.

I've had sellers that I've made a deal with. And, was on the road to pick something up when I get a message that they've sold the item out from under me.

Or, sellers that arrange a meeting spot, and just never show up.
Old 08-13-21, 12:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
That's OK.

I've had sellers that I've made a deal with. And, was on the road to pick something up when I get a message that they've sold the item out from under me.

Craig ain't vouching for them.
Old 08-13-21, 12:17 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I usually arrange a meeting and the go rob the guy's house when he is at the meeting site. I usually suggest meeting at the local police station because that makes people think I am legit.
Old 08-13-21, 12:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
In case the NSA is watching this thread and is preparing to raid my house because I confessed to crimes .... bomb, terrorist, Hezbollah.
Old 08-13-21, 12:56 PM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Easy to believe the Craigslist no-shows. Social behavior seems to be on a downward direction this days IMO.

I read an interesting article a couple years back, (pre-pandemic) where headhunters and hiring managers reported a trend of people interviewing and accepting job offers, then not showing up. And not responding to messages or phone calls. "Ghosting" they called it, sort of like on social media but in real life.
Old 08-13-21, 01:08 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1122 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Easy to believe the Craigslist no-shows. Social behavior seems to be on a downward direction this days IMO.

I read an interesting article a couple years back, (pre-pandemic) where headhunters and hiring managers reported a trend of people interviewing and accepting job offers, then not showing up. And not responding to messages or phone calls. "Ghosting" they called it, sort of like on social media but in real life.
what would be the point? i've done interviews with companies i had no intention to work for as practice for those i wanted to work for but i'd never accept something and not show up. seems detrimental to ones career. word does get out.
Old 08-13-21, 01:34 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by RiceAWay
... adds ... add ... and add ... and add and ...
Add it all up, and you get a few flakes and a few genuine people that make it all worthwhile.

add = addition
ad = advertisement
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-13-21, 02:12 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
As I've posted before, I've dealt with people on Craigslist that I was 100% certain were spammer/phishing/sketchy types who then turned out to be regular people and we completed the transaction just fine...

and I've had interactions with people where I was pretty sure things were going to go smoothly and quickly only to have them bail out last minute, no-show, send nonsensical communications resulting in deals falling apart.

Also I've had people get my address or meeting place wrong, and harangue me about not being there, or claim I was trying to sell a piece of junk (one guy went in someone else's driveway and thought I was selling an old rusty thing under a pile of snow instead of a nice bike)...
or get their conversation/negotiation with me vs. some other buyer mixed up when I arrived to buy something.

TLDR: lotta weirdos out there!
Old 08-13-21, 04:11 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
Over the years, I've met FAR more really great buyers than flakes, but you gotta expect a certain number of lookie-loos, no-shows, lowballers, and tire-kickers when your market is anyone with a computer or a cell phone. I've also had three occasions when the person who showed up to buy my item turned out to be someone I knew. Those are the fun transactions that help put the flakes in perspective.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 08-13-21, 05:20 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
In case the NSA is watching this thread and is preparing to raid my house because I confessed to crimes .... bomb, terrorist, Hezbollah.
Yes! Gotta throw in a Russia, China, Bitcoin as well.

I was listening to a podcast making fun of the theater of security. They were reading a list of all the types of groups and people the NSA said were of interest. Hilariously the only conclusion that could be drawn was anybody who’s ever belonged to any group or stated any strong opinion... which is everybody.

To the OP. As buyer and seller I’ve dealt with flakes. Maybe society being in hysteria lately has amplified certain flakiness?
Old 08-13-21, 05:51 PM
Waxbytes

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Yes! Gotta throw in a Russia, China, Bitcoin as well.

I was listening to a podcast making fun of the theater of security. They were reading a list of all the types of groups and people the NSA said were of interest. Hilariously the only conclusion that could be drawn was anybody who’s ever belonged to any group or stated any strong opinion... which is everybody.

To the OP. As buyer and seller I’ve dealt with flakes. Maybe society being in hysteria lately has amplified certain flakiness?

Of course, if you don't show up on lists of groups and don't use any trigger words, that's suspicious in itself .
Likes For Waxbytes:
Old 08-13-21, 07:34 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
This is totally normal IME- about 50% flake, even after multiple contacts and confirming a time, etc..

Keeping one's expectations low is a good strategy.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 08-14-21, 02:25 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I have more bikes than I need and one reason I haven't sold any in a few years is because I hate dealing with people. Most will try to haggle with a ridiculously low price, and I always price mine for killer deals just to get rid of them quick. I'll get people asking if I will ship it, can they mail me a money order, can they write me a check, can I take it to their house, will you meet me halfway 100 miles away, can you take 20 more pictures of it, ect, ect. Too much of a pain in the ass.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-14-21, 07:54 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 83 Le Tour, 70 somthing Benotto 800 (On the block) 2012 Sun Spider AT(On the block too)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 32 Posts
They are on Offer Up too...

Here is an ad I responded to, yea I should have thought it was a little too wordy but I'm looking for a fat bike and this one seemed to fit the bill at the time, it was listed then for $425...

This is our text conversation, I called his number on both occasions when I was waiting for him but got no answer, even left a voice mail... I have since deleted the offer up convo or I would post it too, and he marked the bike as sold a couple days later, then relisted it a week or so later at a higher price. I have since upped my budget and set my sights on a Surly Wednesday or ICT.

Old 08-14-21, 08:44 AM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
People can be impulsive when it comes to buying and after thinking about it for a while just change their mind, they should let you know but it's easier to just blow you off I think
Old 08-14-21, 08:55 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
On web forums and blogs too.
Old 08-14-21, 10:15 AM
FBOATSB

Bikes: Old Stuff

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 514 Times in 343 Posts
I've been able to sell stuff on CL relatively painlessly by only using the anonymous email feature until there have been several coherent back and forth messages before phone/text. What I find funny is when a buy is arranged at my place I give the street address and very clear (IMO) driving directions leading to the intersection of X street and X avenue and you will see a red house with a green roof and driveway right at that intersection. I can sit on my front porch and watch them go 'round and 'round and up and down the block, I imagine glued to some phone app or something ignoring that red and green house on the street corner. When they finally get it I don't rub it in.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 08-14-21, 10:34 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 954 Posts
I’ve bought and sold a ton of stuff on CL. I love CL. I am a huge fan. I honestly don’t remember ever having a no-show. I’ve driven two hours to buy a bike frame. Another time a buyer drove 4 hr from Reno to buy a car from me.
When you present yourself as a serious person who communicates in complete sentences and sets clear timelines, you give off the expectation that you are a serious person. When you communicate in monosyllable text talk and give off the impression of ‘whatever… I don’t care’ , then the other party feels no guilt in flaking on you.
Old 08-14-21, 10:37 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Has anyone thought to tell Craig about this?
Old 08-15-21, 05:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
He said he'd take care of it but ghosted us.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 08-15-21, 07:33 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
That's OK.

Yep, this has happened to me as well. One wonders about the character of some of our fellow humans. For me, a deal is a deal and if a meet is set up, I'll be there on time.

OTOH, I've had good experiences with most of my CL transactions.
Old 08-15-21, 07:54 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
RiceAWay

Many of those who are on the classifieds (and other sites) are bored and lonely cell phone addicts; classified ads are a big opportunity to interact with a non-AI persona. They need an excuse to remain glued to their "sacred screen" like the ancient Narcissus who peered at a reflection of himself all day. Sending messages to advertisers and receiving responses is a way for many to "feel busy" like they are doing something with their lives and to extend those precious seconds of extra screen time. One way to weed out these people is to ask they leave a voice phone number to call in their response (or in your ad in the first place requesting it). If they won't leave a voice message to call for arrangements, particulars etc., then don't deal with or respond to them. They just want to use you for your energy.
Old 08-15-21, 09:16 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If you think buying and selling bikes is bad you haven’t tried dating
Likes For Darth Lefty:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.